Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

oil change questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change questions

1. do i have to jack up the car on all four wheels or can i just jack up the front two?
2. how tight do i tighten down the drain plug?
3. the oil filter has an o-ring washer right? any other washer for it? and the drain plug needs a new crush washer, correct?

thanx, just needed to get those out of the way, my first time doing oil change myself... wish me luck
Old 08-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil change questions (Zulu888)

Should have done a search for the post I made about 2 days ago Go find it now, so that no one gives you smart *** comments.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should buy the factory service manual. It is worth every penny and answers every question.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil change questions (sfr4dr)

You should buy the factory service manual. It is worth every penny and answers every question.
http://www.helminc.com

Insert your year after "service manual"

Does not include hand, watch or rings.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea buy a Helmz shop manual they are the best ...

http://www.helminc.com

BUT ... no the filter needs no ring ... just put a little oil on the rubber seal that is attached to the filter ... the drain plug ... hmm i dont remimber .. ill have to look but ive never changed anything on the drain plug ... car doesnt need to be jacked up either ... mines dropped 1.3" and i can still reach the plug with a wrench and with a small oil pan
Old 08-19-2002, 12:12 PM

Default Re: oil change questions (zilverz)

how long should i let the car cool off before i start doing the oil change?
Old 08-19-2002, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends how sensitive you are/what degree burns you want.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:42 PM

Default Re: oil change questions (ragejed)

ok, no burns plz
Old 08-19-2002, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, no burns plz
Then just park it at night then in the morning...jack it up and do the oil change. If not, probably about an hour or so depending on how it was driven before turning off the car.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil change questions (justagsr)

ok, no burns plz

Then just park it at night then in the morning...jack it up and do the oil change. If not, probably about an hour or so depending on how it was driven before turning off the car.
I disagree...
Doing an oil change on a cold car sucks. The oil is too thick to drain properly. Just warm up the engine a little. Makes oil changes much easier.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil change questions (Dan GSR)

I disagree...
Doing an oil change on a cold car sucks. The oil is too thick to drain properly. Just warm up the engine a little. Makes oil changes much easier.
Sounds like a plan...just do it yourself and save some money.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil change questions (justagsr)

For the price of having someone do it for you with generic oil...You can do it yourself with synthetic oil; and have the satisfaction that it was done properly.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil change questions (Dan GSR)

For the price of having someone do it for you with generic oil...You can do it yourself with synthetic oil; and have the satisfaction that it was done properly.
Yep, but some people don't think that way. They take there cars to the dealership, etc and I told them...I'll do it for $15 b/c it's so simple. Most replied, that's fine you can get all dirty. Bring it buy and I'll change your oil while I change mine and put that crap oil in yours that you pay for. lol
Old 08-19-2002, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your hooked up man .. altho i never jack the car up ?? dunno how much more oil you get out of it that way... and ive always heard about warming up the oil first ... before the drain makes it drain quicker ... but .,.. if it sits over night .. shouldnt the majority of it have drained down into the pan ? why relubricate all the parts ? i dunno .. im not saying thats best ? just throwing that notion out there ?
Old 08-19-2002, 03:00 PM

I've always let mine sit overnight just to get most of the oil in the pan. I let the oil drip for 20-30 minutes when draining to make sure every little drop of dirty oil is out

I jack the front up and use two jackstands. I don't know how you can fit under your car without raising it a little
Old 08-19-2002, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil change questions (Volcom)

I jack the front up and use two jackstands. I don't know how you can fit under your car without raising it a little

6ft 185lbs

hehe well i dont technically get under the car .... i slide a small drain pan under the oil pan .... with my back on the ground .. right behind the drivers side tire .. i can reach in with my wrench and have just enough room to break the drain plug loose ... and then loosen it by hand the rest of the way ..

the eibach pro drop definately tightened up the space... but i can still do it
Old 08-19-2002, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

6ft 185lbs

hehe well i dont technically get under the car .... i slide a small drain pan under the oil pan .... with my back on the ground .. right behind the drivers side tire .. i can reach in with my wrench and have just enough room to break the drain plug loose ... and then loosen it by hand the rest of the way ..

the eibach pro drop definately tightened up the space... but i can still do it
So how do you get your filter off?
Old 08-19-2002, 04:09 PM

Default Re: oil change questions

Or u can do what i did today... buy the synthetic oil and filter of ur choice and take it to the dealer to have it done.. they charged me six bucks and gave me a car wash too.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:36 PM

1. do i have to jack up the car on all four wheels or can i just jack up the front two?
2. how tight do i tighten down the drain plug?
3. the oil filter has an o-ring washer right? any other washer for it? and the drain plug needs a new crush washer, correct?

thanx, just needed to get those out of the way, my first time doing oil change myself... wish me luck
1) you can just jack up the front end w/ a hydraulic jack and support the vehicle on jack stands placed at the stock jacking points.. make sure the vehicle is stable and secure before getting under the vehicle and chock the back wheels and pull up the e-brake...

2) from memory I believe its 33 ft-lbs of torque for the drain plug.. replace the crush washer too..

3) yeah the Oil filter has an O-ring washer.. it should come w/ your new filter... apply some oil to it and when you take off your old filter... make sure the old O-ring is either off the block.. or comes out w/ the old filter.... no other washers... and yes the drain plug needs a new crush washer...

you should really go buy a helms manual http://www.helminc.com its only about $70 shipped and it pays for itself... you could also do a search.. theres other threads on oil change..

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/oilchange/oil.html
Old 08-19-2002, 04:49 PM

you need a manual for a oil change?
Old 08-19-2002, 04:55 PM

Default Re: oil change questions (b18c-one)

no you don't but the questions he's asking is pretty basic and if he had a manual it could have helped him answer all these questions.. also the manual more than pays for itself down the road when you start performing other maintenance and repairs on your vehicle..
Old 08-20-2002, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil change questions (GSRaCeRbOI)

Crucial ... theres suppose to be an oring on before the filter ? hmmm ill have to look to see if its stuck to the b18b block (; ive never replaced one if there is one there ... and my new Fram filters dont come with one ... your not talkin about the rubber gasket thats pressed on to the end of the filter are you ?

as for the crush washer .. never replaced that either im just so abusive |: ill look in my helmz later.. thanx gsracerrrrrrr

for the other guy: as for the oil filter i just lean into the engine bay on the drivers side and reach underneath the back side of the intake manifold... and put on my oil filter socket/tool and hook the ratchet to it and break it loose ... and just make sure you dont tighten the filter down too tight when you put the new one on ... i think it suppose to be ... tighted down hand tight ... then do 3/4 of a turn with the ratchet ..
Old 08-20-2002, 02:28 PM

yeah I'm talking about that rubber washer/O-ring thing around the perimter of the filter.. in some cases it gets stuck to the block when people take out the old filter and they don't notice it.. then when they put the new filter on (w/ an O-ring pressed in) it becomes double stacked and then leaks...

I know some people that don't replace the crush washer on the drain bolt either dont didn't have leaks.. my dealer gave me a bunch (handfull) for free so I just replace them each time since your technically supposed to..
Old 08-20-2002, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil change questions (GSRaCeRbOI)

yea i guess i better pick one up ... been 50k ive owned it and havent changed it hehe