Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

no thermostat=car runs cooler????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no thermostat=car runs cooler????

ok so me and my buddy are working on my car and we are trying to figure out why my car keeps running hot so he asks me when is the last time i changed the thermostat i told him about a month ago and he takes it out and just leaves in the gasket. starts my car and my car runs cooler than it has since ive owned it it ran one notch above the C how is this possible he tells me he has never ran with a thermostat and is car is boosted to 20psi on stock internals but thats another story its ran this way for 2 years now going on 3 but is anyone else running there car without a thermostat and can somebody explain to me how this is possible for my car to run cooler than with the thermostat in ? and is this good ive been told my car is gonna run rich now and i dont want that i just want my car to stop overheating im thinking i have a pin hole leak that i cant see cause its spraying and burning up before i can see it any help here guys would be good
Old 04-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: no thermostat=car runs cooler???? (JDMJAYDC2)

It is running cooler because the coolant is constantly flowing through the radiator and block, rather than being regulated to a certain temperature by the thermostat (which is its function). It's not a good idea to run without the thermostat, as the engine requires a minimum operating temperature to function properly and efficiently. I'd suggest going over your cooling system to actually determine where the problem lies, rather than trying a "band-aid" solution such as removing the thermostat.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can run without a thermostat, but as was mentioned above, it will take the engine longer to reach proper operating temp.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (herecomesboost)

Where was the temp gauge before you took the thermostat out? If taking out the thermostat stopped the problem, then you found your problem. Put in a new thermostat and everything should be just fine.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:44 PM

some people will say , its ok to have it out , & most will say dont run the car without the thermostat.....!!.......
i would rather keep the thermostat in.....but i also have alot of friends who always take there thermostat out also ..
i had a 93 gsr turbo hatch and it was running hot , i actually took the thermostat out and the thing ran COOL....VERY COOL...for a VERY LONG TIME .....i would drive lke 50 miles before the needle would even move ........so my vtec wouldnt work alot..........cuz of the coolness.....and i live in hawaii so 50 miles is like halfway around the island hahaha.....
-u can get a thermostat that opens at a different degree......i usually run those thermostats in my car it opens a little sooner...

-to end my story your car comes w/ a thermostat , so i would leave it in.....like the reply above said.."find where the real problem is " some times it sucks but its what u gotta do .....
Old 04-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that what i was thinking honda made it for a reason so maybe i got a bad one or something the car's temp was in the middle when we took it out we put just the gasket in and started teh car it stayed at one notch above the C for about 2-3 hours with me really getting on it then slowly moved to the middle then eventually going to the H at this point i'd let it cool down then pour in more coolant and the cycle is repeated i really hate my teg right now im trying to figure this cooling issue out im so ready to just swap in another ls at this point
Old 04-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (JDMJAYDC2)

My suggestion would be to flush the system, replace the thermostat, and then make sure it's bled properly.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea you don't want your car to be cold all the time. Without a thermostat it will pretty much never heat up. I think that the engine runs a little richer when it's cold which is why you heard that running without a thermostat will make your car run richer (since it'll always be cold). An OEM thermostat is about $15-20 for the dealer.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok ht im also getting alot of white smoke coming out when i try to start my car and keep in mind here in ga it hasnt been cold so im not sure what the issue is ive been told that the white smoke is coming from moisture being in the system from my coolant system not being bleed properly. my car kinda puts to start if you have ever had a carbed car then its like that once started it kinda puts then acts normal im really stumped on this one guys compression test came back fine with over 160 so i know its not the headgasket what do you guys think
Old 04-23-2007, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMJAYDC2)

what were the compression numbers? engine hot or cold?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMJAYDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so me and my buddy are working on my car and we are trying to figure out why my car keeps running hot so he asks me when is the last time i changed the thermostat i told him about a month ago and he takes it out and just leaves in the gasket. starts my car and my car runs cooler than it has since ive owned it it ran one notch above the C how is this possible he tells me he has never ran with a thermostat and is car is boosted to 20psi on stock internals but thats another story its ran this way for 2 years now going on 3 but is anyone else running there car without a thermostat and can somebody explain to me how this is possible for my car to run cooler than with the thermostat in ? and is this good ive been told my car is gonna run rich now and i dont want that i just want my car to stop overheating im thinking i have a pin hole leak that i cant see cause its spraying and burning up before i can see it any help here guys would be good</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMJAYDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok ht im also getting alot of white smoke coming out when i try to start my car and keep in mind here in ga it hasnt been cold so im not sure what the issue is ive been told that the white smoke is coming from moisture being in the system from my coolant system not being bleed properly. my car kinda puts to start if you have ever had a carbed car then its like that once started it kinda puts then acts normal im really stumped on this one guys compression test came back fine with over 160 so i know its not the headgasket what do you guys think</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you even have a freaking CLUE how to properly contruct a sentance?

I mean, damn man.. I'm all for helping people but you didn't use NOT ONE flippin period.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: no thermostat=car runs cooler???? (mac_24_seven)

Just don't run without a thermostat when its cold outside.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: no thermostat=car runs cooler???? (sauceja)

If you run without a thermostat the ECU will spray too much fuel, but ironically, you run LEAN because the cold head wont allow the fuel to atomize, so it doesn't burn in the combustion process and instead flushes out your exhaust causing your cat converter to clog up.