Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

New To Hondas, And I Gotta Do A Crank In My GS-R Block. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 New To Hondas, And I Gotta Do A Crank In My GS-R Block. HELP!

so i traded my '89 jeep cherokee that i built, 4.5" of lift, 33's, for an 88 CRX with a GS-R block, B16 head, and JDM B16 LSD trans. its bored to 81.5mm with type R pistons, its got an RMF header, skunk 2 intake manifold, 70mm TB, etc. or atleast thats what the guy said it had. i believe all of the above to be correct on the car but it turns out he was full of you know what about most everything else. car needs some work. but ive been gettin stuff done. anyways it needs a new crank now. i was drivin home one night when i heard some crazy noises and turns out the harmonic balancer was tryin to jump off the crank. well the woodruff (spelling?) key must have sheared off or something and the balancer was ruined. all worn down on the inside. the crank looked like it had a tiny bit of damage where the woodruff key sits but i got a new balancer (or a used, good one) and threw it on there with a new woodruff key to see if it would hold. still wobbles like a mother. so im thinkin the crank got worn when the pulley was wobbling on it that one night. enough to where no matter how hard you tighten the pulley it still will wobble. so i got a GS-R crank for $100 of craigslist. had it turned for $25. ive never pulled a motor or done a crank, but it really doesnt seem too bad. i got a cherry picker and an engine stand in my garage that im borrowing from a friend. i took about 30 pics of the engine how it sits now for when i have to piece it all back together and plug stuff in. now there must be some guru on here who has a few words of advice for doin a crank. anyone?

-Sean
Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 PM

Default Re: New To Hondas, And I Gotta Do A Crank In My GS-R Block. HELP!

I would suggest getting a manual for the 94-01 integras gsr. If your going to just take the crank out again, i would replace main, and rod bearings. A manual would only get your so far IMO, you should find someone with experience on rebuilding honda engines. Heres a link that might help you get started.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/nabuild/nabuild2.php
Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once the engine is out and the block is taken apart, it's not too too complicated to put the crank, rods, pistons and bearings back together. A manual is a must for torque specs and diagrams (helms).

Take a look at my build thread, it's a B17 (same basic design as your GSR engine). This should give you some idea as to what the process is.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/bringing-my-92-rs-da-back-dead-2337230/

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by ek-g6
I would suggest getting a manual for the 94-01 integras gsr. If your going to just take the crank out again, i would replace main, and rod bearings. A manual would only get your so far IMO, you should find someone with experience on rebuilding honda engines. Heres a link that might help you get started.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/nabuild/nabuild2.php
Originally Posted by Circusraven
Once the engine is out and the block is taken apart, it's not too too complicated to put the crank, rods, pistons and bearings back together. A manual is a must for torque specs and diagrams (helms).

Take a look at my build thread, it's a B17 (same basic design as your GSR engine). This should give you some idea as to what the process is.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2337230

Good luck!
thanks guys. already had the 94-01 Chiltons manual. everything is torn down. waiting for the crank (main) bearings and rod bearings to be shipped to me from Cali. then i can start the reassemble. my friend is helpin me. how important are the colors on the bearings? i ordered the same colors....
Old 09-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do not use a turned crank in a Honda! I garuntee you will spin a bearing real soon using that crankshaft. i've had to rebuild many motors for people and i hear the same story all the time "well i had the crank spun and undersized bearing, idk why it did it again....." its because Honda's crankshafts have a special coating on their bearing journals to aid in lubrication / reducing friction. If Honda put that there in the beginning, they must have had a good reason. when you have your crank turned it shaves that coating off and new bearing will only last so long on that particular crank even if it is freshly built etc. IF anything a micro-polish will go a long way. my advise is find a used crank in perfect condition and replace the woodruff key which you probably know that by now. while its apart i advise you replace main seals, oil gear, and all bearings. depending on your budget also can't hurt to replace your con rod studs. they stretch over time welcoming a rod bearing to make its move.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by helldriver88
do not use a turned crank in a Honda! I garuntee you will spin a bearing real soon using that crankshaft. i've had to rebuild many motors for people and i hear the same story all the time "well i had the crank spun and undersized bearing, idk why it did it again....." its because Honda's crankshafts have a special coating on their bearing journals to aid in lubrication / reducing friction. If Honda put that there in the beginning, they must have had a good reason. when you have your crank turned it shaves that coating off and new bearing will only last so long on that particular crank even if it is freshly built etc. IF anything a micro-polish will go a long way. my advise is find a used crank in perfect condition and replace the woodruff key which you probably know that by now. while its apart i advise you replace main seals, oil gear, and all bearings. depending on your budget also can't hurt to replace your con rod studs. they stretch over time welcoming a rod bearing to make its move.
wait wait wait. they didnt really grind the crank! he just polished it up and took a couple knicks out of it. it isnt ground down for undersized bearings it uses the standard bearings and he put some special oil thing on it right after he polished it. i have alreay orderd new mains and raod bearins. on their way from cali now. still sound bad?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 88CRXJ
wait wait wait. they didnt really grind the crank! he just polished it up and took a couple knicks out of it. it isnt ground down for undersized bearings it uses the standard bearings and he put some special oil thing on it right after he polished it. i have alreay orderd new mains and raod bearins. on their way from cali now. still sound bad?
sounds more like a micropolish. then you're good lol.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by helldriver88
sounds more like a micropolish. then you're good lol.
haha yeah okay good. cost me $25. good to know im good. just waiting on crank bearings, rod bearings, and the timing gear for the crank. special ordered. $645 .
Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 AM

hey guys why are the bearins colored? is it thickness? and how important are the colors or thicknesses? i reordered the same colors but who knows if my new (used) crank is gonna like those bearings???
Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by 88CRXJ
hey guys why are the bearins colored? is it thickness? and how important are the colors or thicknesses? i reordered the same colors but who knows if my new (used) crank is gonna like those bearings???
ANYbody???