Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Is it my starter or battery? What are the symptoms of a faulty starter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it my starter or battery? What are the symptoms of a faulty starter?

Lately, Ive been having a lot of trouble starting my car in the morning. After I get it to start, it works perfectly through the day.

When I go and turn the car over in the morning, it wont crank or make any noises. After serveral attemps, it turns over. Today, I tried it and it didnt start after serveral minutes, so Im very concerced since I need the car for work.

Is it my battery or my starter? I jumped started my car, and it worked. The funny thing is, my lights etc all work fine. My battery is an autolite from kragen. Its about a year old, so I dont know why it would be a problem.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Is it my starter or battery? What are the symptoms of a faulty starter? (SayMyName)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SayMyName &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lately, Ive been having a lot of trouble starting my car in the morning. After I get it to start, it works perfectly through the day.

When I go and turn the car over in the morning, it wont crank or make any noises. After serveral attemps, it turns over. Today, I tried it and it didnt start after serveral minutes, so Im very concerced since I need the car for work.

Is it my battery or my starter? I jumped started my car, and it worked. The funny thing is, my lights etc all work fine. My battery is an autolite from kragen. Its about a year old, so I dont know why it would be a problem.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since it is a starting problem and hopefully not a recharging issue. Pull the starter out and give it some 12 volt juice from the battery(tap the starter solenoid wire, it should be the small wire and not the big thick wire). If you see the starter solenoid gear pops out and turns fast and retracts quickly the starter is good. If not the starter solenoid is bad, making the starter itself bad since you can't just replace the solenoid by itself.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it my starter or battery? What are the symptoms of a faulty starter? (Lord Helmet)

another thing to look at is clutch switch. over time it might get dirty and not send signal for the car to turn over when the key is turned.. this happened to me. i'd take my feet off the clutch hit it a couple of times and then try again and the car starts.. try that. if that doesnt help then most likely its your starter.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Is it my starter or battery? What are the symptoms of a faulty starter? (SayMyName)

im guessing your starter is just getting old and worn teeth... when it doesnt turn over right away try tapping on the starter LIGHTLY with a hammer or whatever u can reach down in there...

i've been having the same problems with my teg. not so much lately, but its intermittent, so thats why i think its the starter teeth, not the battery. and sometimes if u just let it sit there for a while (a minute or 2) it will start right up. but if u want to know, go to a honda/acura dealership. maybe it has something to do with this godforsaken heat (im in goodyear, thats how i know) or maybe it is somehow affecting the battery. either way, if i find out what it is, i will let you know. gl
Old 07-03-2005, 11:28 AM
I serve phở for my babies

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to autozone or something and take ur starter and battery out and ask them to test it for yah.. shouldn't take but half an hour to doo
Old 07-04-2005, 06:48 AM

Hummm, 1st check battery, sounds like it could be a dying battery. Check to make sure the battery is giving 12 volts.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:35 PM

Sounds like the starter. I had the same problem. Turns out that the starter was getting old or something and there was buildup on the teeth so it wouldnt "engage." It would just "click" when I pumped the clutch with the key fully turned. Cheap fix. Cost me about 40 bucks.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was having a problem similar to this where my starter wouldnt turn sometimes when i went certain places, even though i was getting power like ac and radio. after searching in the 110 degree heat under my hood i found it was the starter connection was loose which was why sometimes it would start and other times it wouldnt. it seems when i drive to my post office, it happens every time because of the shitty roads.