Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

My friend needs help with his car, he's about to junk a brand new car!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My friend needs help with his car, he's about to junk a brand new car!!!!!

Hey guys, I'm trying to help out my friend who has a problem with his 2001 Acura Integra LS. He bought the car 10 months ago, and has driven it every day, took really good care of it, you know his one of those "Don't slam my door god damn it" guys. Anyways, 1 month ago he notices heavy oil cunstumption in his car. He says there are no oil spots under the car where he parks it, he can't see any oil or grease in the engine bay. There is no blue smoke coming out of the back, at least he can't see any. The tailpipe is dry and and if u touch it you get black powder on your fingers. So he took his car to a shop to have his head gasked changed, which didn't do anything. He then changed the oil pan, which didn't do anything. He took the car to Acura to inspect it. They said the compression tests didn't reveal anything, and that the car runs like new, nothing has to be done to fix it . He doesn't know what to do. He paid 13,000.00 CDN dollars, and has about 12,000.00 to go. He can't sell it because he would end up paying off the reminder of the loan without havening the car. He wont get much more than maybe 10k for it. He wants to change the engine but has no money to do that. What do u think can be the problem? He says that he has to add about 3 litters of oil every 2 weeks.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:49 PM
I fry gay turkeys

Default Re: My friend needs help with his car, he's about to junk a brand new car!!!!! (jurenic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jurenic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys, I'm trying to help out my friend who has a problem with his 2001 Acura Integra LS. He bought the car 10 months ago, and has driven it every day, took really good care of it, you know his one of those "Don't slam my door god damn it" guys. Anyways, 1 month ago he notices heavy oil cunstumption in his car. He says there are no oil spots under the car where he parks it, he can't see any oil or grease in the engine bay. There is no blue smoke coming out of the back, at least he can't see any. The tailpipe is dry and and if u touch it you get black powder on your fingers. So he took his car to a shop to have his head gasked changed, which didn't do anything. He then changed the oil pan, which didn't do anything. He took the car to Acura to inspect it. They said the compression tests didn't reveal anything, and that the car runs like new, nothing has to be done to fix it . He doesn't know what to do. He paid 13,000.00 CDN dollars, and has about 12,000.00 to go. He can't sell it because he would end up paying off the reminder of the loan without havening the car. He wont get much more than maybe 10k for it. He wants to change the engine but has no money to do that. What do u think can be the problem? He says that he has to add about 3 litters of oil every 2 weeks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So it uses 3 litrs of oil per week.
No oil spots under the car
No oil around exhaust
coolant's not overfull (mixed with oil)?
Acura said nothings wrong with it?
No blue smoke?

Wierd question, but how's the underside of the hood / engine bay?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My friend needs help with his car, he's about to junk a brand new car!!!!! (Honduh Badger)

Actually it's evry 2 weeks, but yes, he doesn't see any oil/greese/spots or anything like that that wasn't there before.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: My friend needs help with his car, he's about to junk a brand new car!!!!! (jurenic)

find out if the motor has ever been rebuilt
Old 01-10-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: My friend needs help with his car, he's about to junk a brand new car!!!!! (ethan0098)

stock or are there bolt ons?
Old 01-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My friend needs help with his car, he's about to junk a brand new car!!!!! (ethan0098)

He bouth the car of a guy who drag races, and who has his own shop, he says he never touched the motor so I don't know. Maybe hes should Carfax it?
Old 01-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Matter cannot be created, nor can it be destroyed.

Leakdown test?? Oil analysis??? if he went through all that, maybe he should replace the piston rings.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My friend needs help with his car, he's about to junk a brand new car!!!!! (BLaCk N MiLd)

There is only injen intake, evrything else is stock
Old 01-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do a leakdown test. the oil has to be going somewhere. maybe check the oil pump/pressure as well. dont junk the car, if it runs perfect the way right now
Old 01-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My friend needs help with his car, he's about to junk a brand new car!!!!! (Code Blue)

How many miles does the motor(car) have and what viscosity oil does he put in it? I ask because my gf's accord which had 50k miles at the time used to consume oil when i used 5w-30 in it but consumed nothing when I had 10w-30 in it. I guess the oil was too thin to put in a motor that was slightly used. It didnt leak any oil or burn any. Switching to 10w-30 solved everything.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My friend needs help with his car, he's about to junk a brand new car!!!!! (gtfour43)

Motor's got 60k on it, he uses i think 5w-20 or 10w-20
Old 01-10-2005, 05:53 PM
In-N-Out Burger

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jurenic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He bouth the car of a guy who drag races, and who has his own shop, he says he never touched the motor so I don't know. Maybe hes should Carfax it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You know, maybe the guy who he bought it from raced it before. And before he sold it, he put everything back to stock as possible and made it appear as if it was never raced. There's a lot of shady people these days....

Im pretty sure a leakdown test will reveal the problem. He should take that advice and heed to it.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:58 PM

My opinion is that he is getting massive ring blow-by. During decelleration or coming off the throttle, worn rings won't be seating well against the cylinder walls, and the suction effect of the engine backpressure actually draws oil up past the rings. I think I have that correct.. anyways I think it would be hard to tell by the exhaust, 3 liters could burn off easily over time unnoticed.

Compression and Leakdown test #'s ??
Old 01-12-2005, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My friend needs help with his car, he's about to junk a brand new car!!!!! (gtfour43)

Motor's got 60k on it, he uses i think 5w-20 or 10w-20
Old 01-12-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Re: My friend needs help with his car, he's about to junk a brand new car!!!!! (Greenery18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Greenery18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My opinion is that he is getting massive ring blow-by. During decelleration or coming off the throttle, worn rings won't be seating well against the cylinder walls, and the suction effect of the engine backpressure actually draws oil up past the rings. I think I have that correct.. anyways I think it would be hard to tell by the exhaust, 3 liters could burn off easily over time unnoticed.

Compression and Leakdown test #'s ?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. I was also going to say I can almost guarantee it's a ring issue.