Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

My '94 GSR is about to reach the 130K mile mark....question about oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '94 GSR is about to reach the 130K mile mark....question about oil

At this point, should I just switch to regular oil (as opposed to full synthetic)? I have been putting Mobil 1 synthetic and it seems to burn some (mostly under VTEC). Would regular oil reduce this at all? Also, is it true that synthetic will "create leaks" and only do more harm than good on a high-mileage car?

What is best for my motor at this point?

On a side note, I can get a regular oil change for free, but for synthetic it costs me about $35. Not that it really matters spending $35 every 3K miles, but if I dont have to why do it.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My '94 GSR is about to reach the 130K mile mark....question about oil (Nateblizzy)

Switch to a thicker oil like 10W30 might help, but as far as synthetic vs convention oil goes....i use AMSOIL synthetic series 3000(up to 1 year or 25000 change interval!) U just have to change your filter every so often.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: My '94 GSR is about to reach the 130K mile mark....question about oil (Mr. Carbon Fiber)

its foolish to think you can go more than 6-7k or let alone up too 25K on synthetic oils. Hondas tend to be high revving and there is always chemical breakdown and deposits left in the oil.

not to mention if your running rich the chemical breakdown is accelerated.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My '94 GSR is about to reach the 130K mile mark....question about oil (Got_a_Toyota_Now)

I too have a '94 GSR with 145,000 miles. I run Mobil 1 10W-30 as opposed to 5W-30, but I live in the foothills and like to take the back roads to and from work.

As far as the syn vs. conv oil argument, everyone has an opinion backed by data. It all depends on your driving style. Do you still rev high? Is it just a freeway commuter, or do you see traffic and heat? How many miles do you want to go in between oil changes?

Because you can get conventional oil free, my suggestion would be to run the conventional oil for 3000 - 3500 miles. Then send a sample, and your question, to Blackstone Labs (or any other oil lab). They will analyse it and tell you if you need to run synthetic.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My '94 GSR is about to reach the 130K mile mark....question about oil (Got_a_Toyota_Now)

Please read this before u argue with me! http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hdd.aspx We've been selling Amsoil for over 15 years!! I don't have any problem with any of my vehicles using their product as long as u change the filter often and add alittle bit every oil change!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:04 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My '94 GSR is about to reach the 130K mile mark....question about oil (Nateblizzy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nateblizzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At this point, should I just switch to regular oil (as opposed to full synthetic)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's up to you. If you switch, you won't get the benefits of synthetic oil (better resistance to breakdown when hot, better flow characteristics when cold).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nateblizzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have been putting Mobil 1 synthetic and it seems to burn some (mostly under VTEC). Would regular oil reduce this at all?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. It's not burning because you are using synthetic. It burns because your car is old and the engine tolerances have widened. Our '94 GS-R has 160K miles and it burns a quart every 1300 miles. We have only used synthetic 5W30 in it since new.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nateblizzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, is it true that synthetic will "create leaks" and only do more harm than good on a high-mileage car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. That's an old wives tale. Synthetic may remove sludge deposits (not "create leaks") on a poorly-maintained car, but if your car is poorly maintained and has sludge deposits, you should be doing something about that, not trying to keep the sludge deposits by using bad oil.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nateblizzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is best for my motor at this point?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Synthetic oil, for the benefits noted above.

As for viscosity, according to Honda (as noted in the owner's manual and service manual), 5W30 viscosity is preferred at all temperatures, but 10W30 is also acceptable if the car is only going to be used at temperatures above freezing (roughly).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nateblizzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On a side note, I can get a regular oil change for free, but for synthetic it costs me about $35. Not that it really matters spending $35 every 3K miles, but if I dont have to why do it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why does it cost you that much? If you can get a regular oil change for free, can't you just supply the oil yourself, instead of paying the $35 difference? Synthetic doesn't cost that much. The GS-R takes 4.2 quarts per oil change. Sam's Club sells Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic in cases of six quarts for $21, and Mobil 1 is around $28 there. Wal-Mart has lower prices for Mobil 1, but Pennzoil is slightly higher.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: My '94 GSR is about to reach the 130K mile mark....question about oil (nsxtasy)

cool thanks bro
Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nateblizzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On a side note, I can get a regular oil change for free</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then that's what you should do (or at least what I would definitely do). Maintain proper change intervals, and your motor will be perfectly fine running conventional oil.