Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Lumpy Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lumpy Idle

This problem is from a car 2000 integra with a new b20b swap done at...well...a not so professional place. It's not my car, but i wanted to help my friend.

Short version of the story is:
Car was idling rough. Found out the IAC did not have a good ground. So when we gave it a ground. The IAC works, but the car's idle goes from rough to very lumpy, as if it had big cams.

Longer version of the story is:
1. Car's idle was rough and it was surging. Found a vacuum port on the intake manifold that was not capped off. (I think the b20b has an extra vacuum port on the intake manifold compared to a b18?) When the vacuum port is plugged, the car dies.
2. So, I suspected the IAC. cleaned the IAC screen, but that didnt help. IAC clicks with voltage applied to it. IAC gets Batt voltage from the yellow wire. Found that the ground wire was open.
3. So we got some wires and rigged it so the IAC got a good ground. (How is it normally grounded? thru the ECU? I cannot find a wiring diagram.) Then with the car running, we once again plugged the open vacuum port on the intake manifold and the idle starts getting really lumpy. (the car doesnt die, and i can hear the air going thru the IAC tho.)

So, I feel like I solved one problem. but now i have another. I read about adjusting the TPS in other threads, but im not sure If they had the same problem as me. I also see a screw on the TB. Is that the adjustment for Idle? for TPS? Spark plugs looked fine.
I'm starting to wonder if the spark plug wires were not wired correctly. I cant find a diagram for this.
Other then the TPS, i'm wondering if the MAP sensor has somehting to do with this.

Sorry for all the jumbled info, Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 PM

bump
Old 11-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Old 11-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same problem, but mines is with a Poor Man's Type R Built. same exact thing. i took off the oil squirts, because my block is sleeved, so now i have this problem. If this **** is ****ed up, Im Done. lol, if i find something, ill hit you up.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm in the same boat as you guys and no one around here really seems to have any constructive advice. i did a thread on setting your TPS, do verify that. after that here's my guess on our problems.

we need to adjust the fuel map and timing table along with the idle for the motors we now have. stock ecu's seem to be extremely picky when it comes to airflow mods. hondata and a chipped p28 may be in all of our futures.