Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

ls vtec vavletrain

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls vtec vavletrain

i have came to believe that by replacing springs and retainers it helps you rev higher. with ls/vtec the stock crank can't take the high revving like a stock vtec engine so would it be worth it to buy springs and retainers.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ls vtec vavletrain (JDMg2Integra)

the LS block will be fine reving to 8k with no problems. and yes upgrading the valvetrain will allow you to rev higher.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Re: ls vtec vavletrain (shermanyang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes upgrading the valvetrain will allow you to rev higher.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know it will but is it safe and worth is with a stroked ls/vtec set up
Old 08-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as you have gsr oil pump and water pump, and i'd recommend some arp rod bolts plus run the crank by a machine shop for some balancing... then it'll be cool for some reving and it'll last a while
Old 08-04-2004, 12:26 AM

dont just throw in some springs/retainers and rev stock ls block. your asking for trouble maaaane. apr's are a must along with balancing and shotpeen would be nice.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:57 AM
kNOwLedGeDA9

Default Re: ls vtec vavletrain (shermanyang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the LS block will be fine reving to 8k with no problems. and yes upgrading the valvetrain will allow you to rev higher.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The stock LS should NOT revv to 8,000 RPM unless the bottom end is modified. It does not have tight clearances, which causes vibration at high RPM, and that, coupled with 89mm stroke, a poor rod/stroke ratio, and weak rod bolts is ground for disaster. The only way to overcome this is to have the bottom end strengthened with aftermarket rod bolts, bearings, full engine balancing, and tighter clearances.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:04 AM

Default Re: ls vtec vavletrain (kNOwLedGeDA9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kNOwLedGeDA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The stock LS should NOT revv to 8,000 RPM unless the bottom end is modified. It does not have tight clearances, which causes vibration at high RPM, and that, coupled with 89mm stroke, a poor rod/stroke ratio, and weak rod bolts is ground for disaster. The only way to overcome this is to have the bottom end strengthened with aftermarket rod bolts, bearings, full engine balancing, and tighter clearances.</TD></TR></TABLE>

please stop talking.

there are about 5 million ls/vtecs with completly stock bottom ends with the exception of an oil pump.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:47 AM

Default Re: ls vtec vavletrain (kNOwLedGeDA9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kNOwLedGeDA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The stock LS should NOT revv to 8,000 RPM unless the bottom end is modified. It does not have tight clearances, which causes vibration at high RPM, and that, coupled with 89mm stroke, a poor rod/stroke ratio, and weak rod bolts is ground for disaster. The only way to overcome this is to have the bottom end strengthened with aftermarket rod bolts, bearings, full engine balancing, and tighter clearances.</TD></TR></TABLE>

100% correct.

any ENGINEER will tell you this is right, too.

just because other LS/VTECs run with stock blocks doesn't mean there are no problems. and 5 million? where the heck did you come up with that? So, 2% of the US population has this? surrrrre.

when all the tuning experts say that the rod bolts are weak, are they wrong, too? just slapping a vtec head on a LS block is a redneck job. Honda put all of the enhancements on the GSR block for a REASON!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:02 AM

what yall think about my set-up for ls/vtec.
eagle rods (81mm)
jdm itr pistons (81mm)
b16 head
itr springs
itr retrainers
arp head bolts
arp main studs
eagle block guard
oem rod bearings
oem main berings
oem headgasket
p28 ecu
hondata
tune
and i think thats it i dont know if i forgot something but is this good?
also ive seen many ls/vtecs and b20/vtecs rev till 8500 with no problem but i wouldnt risk it witch is why im building everything.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:06 AM

Default Re: (90 integra)

i'm not just planning to put a head on my ls block and rev the **** out of it, i'm planning b16 head, skunk 2 stage 2's, aem cam gears, skunk 2 IM, eagle ls/vtec 2.0 stroker kit with 84 mm pistons, block gaurd, vtec oil and water pump, arp head and main studs, the kit comes with arp rod bolts, then the ls/vtec conversion kit(oil line, head gasket, vtec dowels, etc...), and probably i'm going to get the head ported and polished would ya'll recomend some retainer and spring upgrades
Old 08-04-2004, 01:25 PM

Default Re: (JDMg2Integra)

yes get some springs and retrainers skunk 2 should do and some jun's would be great.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Re: ls vtec vavletrain (steven975)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steven975 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

100% correct.

any ENGINEER will tell you this is right, too.

just because other LS/VTECs run with stock blocks doesn't mean there are no problems. and 5 million? where the heck did you come up with that? So, 2% of the US population has this? surrrrre.

when all the tuning experts say that the rod bolts are weak, are they wrong, too? just slapping a vtec head on a LS block is a redneck job. Honda put all of the enhancements on the GSR block for a REASON!</TD></TR></TABLE>

ricers