1.8L
Cold air intake
5 speed manual
New timing belt - timing correct
New plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor
Distributor 1.5 years old
New fuel filter 6 months ago
Another new fuel filter 3 months ago

My Teggie has had a long slow downward creep in idol speed over the last year or so. This applies once the car is up to temperature. The idol will drop to a few hundred rpm and barely able to keep running. I'm impressed the engine doesn't stop as the idol will be so low the car seemingly shudders with each fire of a cylinder.

A timeline...

Changed the distributor 1.5 - 2 years ago when it was seizing up.
6 months later the idol started its slowing.
4 months ago idol on occasions got so low it shouldn't run - changed fuel filter.
3 months ago changed the timing belt - no change of idol (not that it should have changed anything)
2 months ago to current the idol is consistently (once the car is at temp) at stumble and sometimes seems to dive as low as 200 rpm on the tach. Changed fuel filter again and no change

It may be related, but I don't know so I will throw it up here. I will try to start the vehicle and it will crank but no fire up regardless of engine or outside temps. Try and try again and it doesn't fire up. Maybe after 15 minutes of repeated trying it will start. I did find that if when it's doing this if I give it a shot of ether it fires up. Playing detective I have also found that if I start the engine cranking and it won't start I will keep it cranking without stopping and have a friend hit it with ether it will fire up.

It will also sometimes do the initial start-up rev and then slowly sputter and choke until it dies regardless of the gas pedal. Start it again and it will sputter and die again. This can continue for as many times as the car wants to do it. At some point it will start up and continue to run.

All of the aforementioned issues have existed prior to and after all of the maintenance/changes along the way.

This site has been a wealth of knowledge for changing my timing belt and I'm hoping someone here will recognize my Teggies challenges and can steer me in the right direction to get her healthy again.

Thank everyone.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:25 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Low stumbling idol and more - 1990 Integra GS

I would want to know what the fuel pressure is.

If you can hear the fuel pump priming when you turn on the ign., try this, turn on the ign. wait untill the pump stops priming and the CEL goes out, repeat this 4-5 times before you try and start the engine, let me know if it changes anything. 94
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean the IACV? worked for me.... https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/%2A%2A%2Ahow-clean%2A%2A%2A-your-iacv-k-idle-air-control-valve-1575913/
Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought about this too but questioned my thinking when I could hit the cranking non-starting engine with ether and it would fire up. One of my thoughts was weak spark since the ether would ignite much easier but not sure how I would trouble shoot that. Thoughts? Thank you for helping me chew this over.

Where is the best place to hear the pump? I ask because on my Jeep it's easily heard. My truck, Camaro and Teggie I really can't hear it sitting in the seat among all the other power up sounds and or insulation.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K3VL4R
Will do this. My Teggie has 170,000 miles and you have to love zero cost maintenance.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moab Man
Will do this. My Teggie has 170,000 miles and you have to love zero cost maintenance.
I had rough idle problems very similar. Ended up replacing IAVC after trying to clean it and no success. Then I replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor) and good to go. You can bench test these pretty easily as well. My TPS was marginally within the specs, so thats why I chased down the IACV. But after that didn't work, I was left with no choice but to buy a new TPS.

IF you buy any of these parts, go OEM, use Delray Acura Online if you want to save a bit.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Although not as easy as a G3, you should be able to hear the fuel pump in a G2 from the drivers seat, removing the bottom of the rear seat will help, or just remove the gas cap and have someone turn on the ign..

With that said, a running fuel pump does not mean much, other then the fuel pump circuit is good, a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel filter is the only way to tell what fuel pressure actually is, they can be had for a little as $20, $40-$50 will get you a good one.

Pick one up and permanently install it, makes a very good diagnostic tool that you can see every time you pop the hood, you can see a fuel pump going bad long before it stands you, on a rainy night, on a dark side road, with your glad rags on and a hot date in the pass. seat. 94
Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

definitely agree. sounds fuel related. get the gauge on there and we can run you through a little more rigorous testing than just for fuel pressure
Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. I will do the cleaning as mentioned above.
2. Fuel is one of the points of my suspicion, although I have argued myself to and from this point. So could someone link me to a fuel pressure regulator for permanent installation at the fuel filter. I am familiar with the schrader valve on the fuel rail of more modern vehicles but have no idea what I am looking for in this case. And what I'm finding appear to be for testing and not for permanent installation, but I could be wrong.

Thank you all for the help. I want to get this fixed before it does the late night stranding at the worst time possible. And I really enjoy the car.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/B-M-FUEL-PRES...#ht_2041wt_689

this one's a bit on the pricey side, but it's by a reputable company. and considering that it will be installed permanently and you'd want your measurement to be accurate and reliable, i'd say it's worth the extra 20$
Old 11-15-2012, 04:34 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Ditto the above^^^ the B&M is the one I have on my 94 Integra. 94
Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for all the valuable input. I will tackle the cleaning and gauge this weekend. I will report back.

I also want to compliment this forum. I'm sure my question has been asked in many forms and varieties and can get tiring for you forum old-timers. Thank you for the lack of flaming and genuine help. Thank you.