Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

leaking compression from cyl 2 to cyl 1??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking compression from cyl 2 to cyl 1??

hello everyone, I have a 98 integra gsr. compression is 180 in all cylinders but number 2, which is more like 125. I put cyl 2 to tdc and put compressed air in the cyl to hear where its leaking and I feel it blowing out cyl 1 spark plug hole... im not losing coolant or oil either
Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 AM
Shit Posts: 15

Default Re: leaking compression from cyl 2 to cyl 1??

Slight failure in the head gasket maybe, so small that it appears youre not losing fluids
Old 08-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can bleed between cylinders and not effect the coolant passages. my old integra did the same on the OE engine. deck of the block was warped. sleeves shifted just slightly and allowed the HG to fail

pull the engine, have the block decked and the head decked, get a new HG and you should be good to go

shave as little as possible from each in order to keep your cam timing accurate
Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with both. Get head and block resurfaced at a machine shop and replace the head gasket. You might be able to get away with not needing to get the block resurfaced since it can take more heat than the aluminum head (I have done replacements without resurfacing block and had no problems at all). But you might not want to risk having all that work done and find out the block needs resurfacing.

By the way, it could have been just the head gasket gave out, but the culprit may be something else that overheated the car. So also determine if anything else is at fault as well, such as fans not coming on, low coolant, bad thermostat, etc. so you can get the real problem fixed as well.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NameGoesHere
I agree with both. Get head and block resurfaced at a machine shop and replace the head gasket. You might be able to get away with not needing to get the block resurfaced since it can take more heat than the aluminum head (I have done replacements without resurfacing block and had no problems at all). But you might not want to risk having all that work done and find out the block needs resurfacing.

By the way, it could have been just the head gasket gave out, but the culprit may be something else that overheated the car. So also determine if anything else is at fault as well, such as fans not coming on, low coolant, bad thermostat, etc. so you can get the real problem fixed as well.
same thing i was thinking. it's very rare for the HG to fail but it has happened. normally when they do the head is warped or the block or both.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys that helps a lot. I just thought it was weird that I wasn't loosing coolant so wanted to get some opinions.