Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Integra won't start after being driven for a while

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra won't start after being driven for a while

Let me start by saying that I just replaced the main relay the other day, and it hasn't fixed the problem.

What's been happening is my 94 Integra struggles to start after being driven for a while. The car never dies on me while driving. My car starts perfectly fine when its been sitting around for a few hours or all day, but if I drive it around, come back and park my car, it won't start. I did a tuneup about 6 months ago and also changed the distributor at the same time. I can also hear my fuel pump turning on when I turn the ignition key to ON. It just cranks but won't turn over. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? When I try cranking it, I'll put my foot down on the gas pedal, and sometimes it will start, but it stinks like gas outside my car(probably because I'm flooding it). Other than that, I haven't had any success trying to start it when the engine is warmed up.

Any ideas would be a great help!

Thanks everyone
Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 AM
New User

Default Re: Integra won't start after being driven for a while

Originally Posted by E Swift
Let me start by saying that I just replaced the main relay the other day, and it hasn't fixed the problem.

What's been happening is my 94 Integra struggles to start after being driven for a while. The car never dies on me while driving. My car starts perfectly fine when its been sitting around for a few hours or all day, but if I drive it around, come back and park my car, it won't start. I did a tuneup about 6 months ago and also changed the distributor at the same time. I can also hear my fuel pump turning on when I turn the ignition key to ON. It just cranks but won't turn over. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? When I try cranking it, I'll put my foot down on the gas pedal, and sometimes it will start, but it stinks like gas outside my car(probably because I'm flooding it). Other than that, I haven't had any success trying to start it when the engine is warmed up.

Thanks everyone
You must have a gas leak somewhere, because normaly when you floor the gas down when cranking the engine, the computer cuts out half or all of the injection to dry out the cylindres...
Old 04-16-2009, 04:57 PM

What about the fuel pressure regulator?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about the fuel pressure regulator?
could be... also a bad ground.... check on battery terminals,...

ps...tool is the ****
Old 04-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Battery terminals are good. Still gotta check the grounds.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this exact problem in a different car I owned many many years ago - a Triumph TR7. It turned out to be a blown head gasket. Small amounts of coolant were leaking into the cylinders getting the plugs wet. It didn't affect driveability - just starting after the car was parked for a short time. Check your tail pipe when the car is running for abnormal moisture.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

had this happen to my one civic years back. you said you checked it but it ended up being my distributor
Old 04-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your main relay. Often the solder points crack and cause them to seperate when warm (after driving). Very common problem and could be whats causing your issue. From what you are describing I doubt it will as most of what you said aren't results from a bad main relay.

If it is, the fix is simple. Get out your low amp soldering iron and touch up the broken solder points.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:19 AM

I would start by checking the timing since you've replace the main relay already. Usually if your timing jumps just one teeth it can be hard to start.
when u crank it up, if you can smell fuel in your engine then it means your engine is flooded and unable to start. and keep in mind, fuel evaporates easily, therefore once you let it sit for a while it's able to start again. check your timing first.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone
i have the same problem in my accord, i'd replaced verything and still wont start, finaly i give up and when to a dealer have them check it and it was my igntion ,
Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

have you checked your starter?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the car crank and it wont start, is usually the dizzy is bad
since u replace ur main relay. check ur fuel pressure.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 AM

fuel pressure regulator didn't fix it. Changing the fuel filter today.

I just changed the distributor last summer. Its hard to believe it is the problem. Besides, why would it only work when the engine is cold? With my past experiences with distributor problems, it either worked or didn't. I strongly believe its a fuel problem and not ignition problem.

The engine wouldn't even crank if the starter was going bad.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 AM

fuel pressure regulator didn't fix it. Changing the fuel filter today.

I just changed the distributor last summer. Its hard to believe it is the problem. Besides, why would it only work when the engine is cold? With my past experiences with distributor problems, it either worked or didn't. I strongly believe its a fuel problem and not ignition problem.

The engine wouldn't even crank if the starter was going bad.
what can it be if my car does the same thing, when car cranks over when cold but when warm doesn't want to, and or when the car is on the idle keeps jumping for like 200 rpm to like 1500 its weird i cant find the problem.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:30 PM

Well, I replaced the fuel filter yesterday, and its been starting everytime now. I hope this fixed the problem.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude man, it's either your ignition coil or your ignition module, more than likely it's the module....get it tested ...trust the man from the ZONE... Get in the zone!!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:26 AM

It was the fuel filter. My car has been starting perfect for the past week now.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:38 PM
New User

i've replaced fuel filter, distributer, main relay and it still wont start after it gets warmed up
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM
New User

and the rpms go from 2000 to 1500 it is weird
Old 05-02-2009, 08:32 AM
New User

Thanks everyone
my car does all the same thing here, but i replaced the fuel filter and it still does the same thing. it wont start when it is warmed up but it starts great when the car is cold and sitting around a while.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by captainhook
and the rpms go from 2000 to 1500 it is weird
check the iacv and fitv.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had this problem with my CRX back in the day. Never changed anything and odd enough it fixed itself.......
Old 05-02-2009, 05:28 PM

It sound slike you have a bad distributor. honda distributor are known to quit working when they are hot if they are going bad. You also may want to check fuse box located in the engine compartment, one of them maybe bad.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:00 PM

my brother had the same issue on his 300Z turnout out to be bad injectors try checking them its a cheap fix
Old 05-02-2009, 06:28 PM
New User

ive replaced the distributor its new. and still have the problem. can ecslipe injectors go in a integra.

Quick Reply: Integra won't start after being driven for a while