Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Final Decision Time!! Ground Controls w/Koni's OR Type R suspension????

Old 12-03-2001, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final Decision Time!! Ground Controls w/Koni's OR Type R suspension????

It's time for me to decide what my christmas present is going to be for myself this year. I have come down to these two choices on what suspension parts I would like to get for my 1997 GSR. I can either get :

1) Ground Controls w/custom rates(which are still to be decided) with probably Koni Yellows

OR

2)Full Type R suspension with LCA's, springs, and shocks (how much will this run me to buy?)

The reason that I have been having second thoughts about the Ground Controls is because I have been hearing stories about people who have gotten coilovers, and the rates on the springs ended up making the car handle worse that stock, and I do not want that to happen to my GSR for autocross season!

I want to make sure that the rates that I will be spending my money on will be good for making my car have VERY NEUTRAL handling on the street, and the occaisonal autocross event on the weekends.

So please help me in deciding the rates for the Ground Controls so that I get the NEUTRAL feeling that I want that is going to handle MUCH BETTER that stock. If you think that the Type R suspension is a good idea for me, then let me know how much it's going to run me, and if the upgrade will be noticeable on my application.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 12-03-2001, 02:45 PM
New User

Default Re: Final Decision Time!! Ground Controls w/Koni's OR Type R suspension???? (HondaJon)

cant go wrong w/ gc/konis. i forgot what my spring rates are actually but if you want a more neutral feel then also think of adding an itr swaybar (or any thicker swaybar) and maybe a tie bar also. keep in mind that this combo will ride slightly stiffer than stock even w/ the konis on the softest setting.

Old 12-03-2001, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Final Decision Time!! Ground Controls w/Koni's OR Type R suspension???? (vudoo666)

I know that this will make my ride somewhat stiffer than stock, and it is also dependent on what spring rates that I get for my Ground Controls, so I would like to know what everyone has for the custom rates on their ground controls, and how neutral their handling is, and whether they think that the combo has made dramatic improvements in the overall handling of the car.

Thanks again,
Jon
Old 12-03-2001, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Final Decision Time!! Ground Controls w/Koni's OR Type R suspension???? (HondaJon)

ttt
Old 12-03-2001, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GCs and Konis. Can't go wrong with that setup...so much freedom to choose exactly what you want when going with GC.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Final Decision Time!! Ground Controls w/Koni's OR Type R suspension???? (breaka_1_9)

i think that the gc/koni combo is teh way to go. like mentioned you have a lot more freedom.

I htink your best bet wuold be to call GC and ask them what woulf it your set up right.

Just to give you an idea, the ITR spring rates are 225f, 180r. i think if you went with 350f/250-280r with the konis + the ITR rear sway or comptech 22mm adjustable you will have a great set-up that is for one highly adjustable, and two streetable.

good luck
Old 12-03-2001, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Final Decision Time!! Ground Controls w/Koni's OR Type R suspension???? (breaka_1_9)

I would suggest 375/375 would be a competitive setup especially with the Konis. Place a thick swaybar on the rear and you should eliminate a lot of the understeer bias. A lot of people will suggest getting a higher spring rate in the rear for more rotation but you seem set on neutral handling, so I suggest 375/375 or 350/375.

About the Type R suspension, it is a great stock setup. Yet it is still burdened by the confines of manufacterism. It's a bit too soft and doesn't dampen well enough, unless you use the stock springs. Now, if you include the LSD, then I'll reconsider.

GC/Koni will cost the same yet perform better than the ITR setup so long that you keep the rates reasonable and leave some suspension travel (height adjustment is another advantage of the GCs as well as dampening with the Konis).