Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Importance of BOTH Radiator Fans working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importance of BOTH Radiator Fans working?

I only have one radiator fan working. The passenger side fan does not turn on at all. Is there a good chance that the car will overheat or can I drive safely with only one fan? The car has not overheated but I mostly drive on freeways where the hot air will dissipate and have not tried driving in traffic but if one fan will do then Im not too worried.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Importance of BOTH Radiator Fans working?

I believe that one side runs when the A/C is on... the other is controlled by the thermo switch on the block (engine temp)?

Mark
Old 10-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fan on the passenger side is controlled by the fan switch on the tstat housing, while the driver side fan turns on when A/C is in use.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
The fan on the passenger side is controlled by the fan switch on the tstat housing, while the driver side fan turns on when A/C is in use.
yep but both fans turn on when the ac is on, correct? i will hook up the fan to a 12v source when i get the chance. the only reason i worry is because there is more open space on the passenger side and the ac fan is right next to the transmission where hot air cant really escape in traffic. yes, im being cheap because pep boys wants $150 or so for a new fan with motor. if its not necessary, id rather not replace it
Old 10-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imbest123
yep but both fans turn on when the ac is on, correct? i will hook up the fan to a 12v source when i get the chance. the only reason i worry is because there is more open space on the passenger side and the ac fan is right next to the transmission where hot air cant really escape in traffic. yes, im being cheap because pep boys wants $150 or so for a new fan with motor. if its not necessary, id rather not replace it
Yes, both fans turn on when the AC is on.

What kind of Integra do you have? From my recollection, the AC fan is on the drivers side and the transmission is towards the passenger side of the car. I wouldnt worry about whatever concern you have regarding the operation of both fans, assuming you dont have an overheating issue.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
Yes, both fans turn on when the AC is on.

What kind of Integra do you have? From my recollection, the AC fan is on the drivers side and the transmission is towards the passenger side of the car. I wouldnt worry about whatever concern you have regarding the operation of both fans, assuming you dont have an overheating issue.
D'oh. You're right about the trans on the passenger side. Im starting to confuse it with my rsx. I don't have an overheating issue as of now but I haven't been stuck in traffic for long periods of time either which is common here in la county. It seems as if the fan isn't absolutely necessary so ill be cheap and skip on it. Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 06:14 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As has been mentioned, only the rad fan, [pass. side fan] runs for engine temp., both the rad fan and condensor fans run when A/C is on, an Integra with no A/C only has the rad fan on pass. side, even though it still has the full size rad.

Unless you have some other problem then overheating will not be an issue, under any driving conditions