Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

hub removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hub removal?

i'm trying to put on extended stud since the studs are either rusted or broken off. I try to use a hub puller no good >.< my axle went inside with the use of puller. I was wondering if someone can guide through taking off the knuckle so I can get it done at a local shop. Thanks.pics please

I put up pics of what I have done so far..
Attached Images       
Old 02-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: hub removal?

Take the upper and lower ball joints off and the outer tie rod off then the spindle nut (wich should already be off sence you undid the cv axle) then hit with bfg till it comes out
Old 02-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Murk'EM pretty much called it. I just finished replacing both front bearings on mine..

I went down to the local auto store and picked up a decent ball-joint tool so that I could remove them without using a hammer. I did notice that those who were good at it (hammer) also admit you can damage the rubber boot if you miss, and if you've not seen it done I suppose it's possible to damage something else. So, for $30 or so I played it safe (er)!

You'll also want to remove the bolts that hold the ABS sensor, and the bolts that hold the brake hose (10mm socket) to the knuckle before you try and pull it off.

One 'trick' I recommend is to take the castle nut off, turn it over, and thread it on far enough so that the end of the bolt from the ball joint and the nut are flush. This is especially helpful if you use the hammer as it protects the threads.

I'd rate removing the knuckle as fairly simple and worth doing yourself.

You need a hydraulic press to the the hub out of it, if you can't access the back side of those studs.. I found the local Les Schwab to be helpful but any shop with a press could do it in short order.

Good luck - Mark
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Murk 'EM
Take the upper and lower ball joints off and the outer tie rod off then the spindle nut (wich should already be off sence you undid the cv axle) then hit with bfg till it comes out

there is total of three bolt that I need to remove to get the knuckle off?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mark@silbernage
Murk'EM pretty much called it. I just finished replacing both front bearings on mine..

I went down to the local auto store and picked up a decent ball-joint tool so that I could remove them without using a hammer. I did notice that those who were good at it (hammer) also admit you can damage the rubber boot if you miss, and if you've not seen it done I suppose it's possible to damage something else. So, for $30 or so I played it safe (er)!

You'll also want to remove the bolts that hold the ABS sensor, and the bolts that hold the brake hose (10mm socket) to the knuckle before you try and pull it off.

One 'trick' I recommend is to take the castle nut off, turn it over, and thread it on far enough so that the end of the bolt from the ball joint and the nut are flush. This is especially helpful if you use the hammer as it protects the threads.

I'd rate removing the knuckle as fairly simple and worth doing yourself.

You need a hydraulic press to the the hub out of it, if you can't access the back side of those studs.. I found the local Les Schwab to be helpful but any shop with a press could do it in short order.

Good luck - Mark
I'm little confuse but from my picture does it look damage the boot?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...dentifier=2050

I was using this but this push my axle in so I got scared and stopped :X. I tried the team integra method with the slide hammer but it fails in pulling out the hub. X.X

Thanks guy. this is my first diy beside oil change, coolant, and bleeding brake.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Theres 4 nuts and it looks like the cv boot is ripped.. If you want to save money then just replace the boot its like 10 15 at you part store out you could replace the whole thing for what 100..

Its very simple take all the nuts that are holding the knuckle on and remove them you can either hit the joints where the nuts go or rent a pickle fork and that'll separate the knuckle from joint as for the cv shaft use a rubber hammer and hit it back then it should come right off
Old 02-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there a place where I can find a manual? I think I understand what your saying but I need to see some pics. :x
Old 03-01-2011, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Parts store
Old 03-01-2011, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

umm you're supposed to remove the axle completely from the hub before you try to remove the hub with the slide hammer.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
umm you're supposed to remove the axle completely from the hub before you try to remove the hub with the slide hammer.
really? O_o. thanks for telling me but how would you put the axle back to the hub or should come right back?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to separate the axle from the hub and work on the hub while itīs out, then reinstall the hub onto the axle when you are done.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vrrodri
You have to separate the axle from the hub and work on the hub while itīs out, then reinstall the hub onto the axle when you are done.
haha. now it makes more sense. I thought it was an easy job for diy but it turns out to be a pita.