Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

how to match ecu (ive searched)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to match ecu (ive searched)

i did search and anything i find on ecu's is way to advanced for what im trying to figure out at the moment. im not sure about the compatibility issues when switching out a trans or motor. i know that the ls and gsr engines have different compression, fuel ratios, etc so i dont see how you could just mix and match parts from the two cars. My plans for my car is to first swap a manual trans since my auto is starting to slip. i think im going to go with a gsr trans since later on i will want to drop a gsr motor in and i dont think a ls manaul trans is meant to handle the high rpm's and high power of a gsr engine(correct me if im wrong).

the first thing im trying to figure out is if i take my auto trans out of my 98 ls and put in a gsr manual trans what ecu will i need. will i have to modify a ls manual ecu so it matches the gsr trans, or get a gsr manual ecu and modify it to match the ls motor or can i go either way. or will a standard ls manual ecu work fine with no modification.

the next question i have is later on i want to put a gsr motor in my car. when i do this would like to not have to buy another ecu. so if i could use a gsr ecu with my ls motor when i switch the trans it would help me out so when i put the new motor in there is no issues with the ecu.

If anyone has any knowledge about this anything would be appreciated since i dont want to be buying parts that i dont need or that i will have to rebuy.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to match ecu (1998teg)

i think you can still use your auto ls ecu.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how to match ecu (red dc2)

its better off to buy a 5spd car than what you are planning

to begin with a gsr tranny has a shorter ratio in order to benefit from
the vtec feature (hit vtec faster)

the manual tranny does not have sensors like the auto tranny so the
auto ecu needs to be tricked to think that is neutral.
plus the key lock needs to be rigged so that it thinks is in park so key is released.

and to drop a vtec engine in there after....

so start with the 5sp vtec ecu p28 or p30 (to eliminate knock sensor) and 5spd
gsr tranny..

good luck gathering all parts necesary for this ...
plus all the $$$$$$
Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to match ecu (mr.beeks)

IF YOUR GOING TO GO TO 5SD THEM YOU USE A 5SD ECU OR IN YOUR CASE A LS..IF YOU TRY TO USE A 96 NEWER GSR ECU . THE ECU WILL THROW A CHECK LIGHT FOR THE VTEC AND WILL BRING DOWN THE REV LIMITER AND WILL NOT LET YOU RUN IN HIGH RPM RANGE...AS FOR THE KEY LOCK JUST UNPLUG IT BUT YOU WILL STILL NEED TO DO SOME WIRING.SO THAT YOU CAN START THE CAR ITS CHEAPER TO JUST BY A 5SD...ITS ALOT OF TIME TO DO THE AUTO TO 5SD....AND MONEY