Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

cars running bad, unplugged all the sensors on throttle body while running no change

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cars running bad, unplugged all the sensors on throttle body while running no change

B18b1.
So yea I started the car I thought I was having oil blow by but when I pulled the spark plugs they were dry but chard black.. so I put it back together fired it up and thought its something with getting to much air running lean. While the car was running I unplugged both the sensors on the throttle body and the one on top of the intake mani itself and had absolutely no difference in the way the motor ran. Did rev the **** out of it and the dip stick popped up a little and let some oil out... Just a few drops.. so I'm just trying to figure it out. Now that I see my rings are good I don't wanna just toss the motor if I can fix it.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: cars running bad, unplugged all the sensors on throttle body while running no cha

See if you get power to the plugs on the tb. I dont think your haeness blew out. But its a possibility.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cars running bad, unplugged all the sensors on throttle body while running no cha

So I know the car is running rich idk why I was thinking lean. Dumbass attack or something. So I'm guessing its the sensors not working and not getting enough air. You said check the plugs for power does anyone know what they should have? And if the harness there Is bad can I just replace that part?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

http://ngksparkplugs.com/tech_suppor...qs/faqread.asp

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/bl...eshooting.html

http://www.spooledupracing.com/downl...als/FSM/Honda/
Old 07-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If those plugs arnt getting power then wouldn't the rest of the harness be messing up to? I wouldnt think just those three would go bad
Old 07-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tried another map sensor? One of the symptoms of them going bad is the car running really really rich. The iacv on the back may be dirty and need to be cleaned if it isn't moving like it should. And unless you have a bunch of cut wires wrapped in just electrical tape your harness should be fine.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have any cels? Hows your idle? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be something in the tb was letting too much air in. Car ran like dookie and it got horrible mpgs because the ecu was dumping extra fuel to compensate for the air leak. I knew something was wrong because I could turn the throttle pulley 180° instead of 90°. This isnt really a common issue but I figured I would mention it b/c unplugging map and tps didnt really make my car run much worse. I Hope u figure it out.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There was another map and tps in the car when I got it there both new by the looks of them and the ones that were on looked new. I'm gonna buy the parts new myself and change them over see if that fixes my problem cause I know the harness has power I tested it. If I get new ones and that don't work I'll just take them back and go from there.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just changed the iacv with one I know is good and got no change.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:31 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Instead of throwing parts at it like a maniac, spend 10 minutes with a volt meter and test your map sensor. It has a sensor ground, signal and a 5v constant power source. It is also the main sensor for our EFI systems. If it goes bad, they typically default to no a low vacuum or even a pressure signal which will dump fuel

Test the connector to make sure you have the 5v reference with the ignition on, test that your ground is good and finally test the signal voltage of the sensor. This voltage will vary due to what the engine idles at and what your atmospheric pressure is. A quick google search will give you an idea of what your voltage should be at idle and what "pressure" that voltage represents. If the ground and 5v are good but the input signal from the map sensor to the ecu doesn't match what's actually going on, you have a bad map sensor.

Basic diagnostics. If you don't understand, find someone who does and pay them to fix it.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:40 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And just to add, revving the **** out of an engine already running bad and the dip stick popping out is not a sign that the rings are good.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the motor look or sound like there's a knock?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

crankcase pressure building up I guess. You need to specify the yr integra. You might wanna check that blackbox in the back and make sure everything is plugged up and its going to a vacuum source.