Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

help. odd problem with timing belt and cam gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help. odd problem with timing belt and cam gears

So I'm parking my car at the store and notice it sounds like a diesl truck! It's ratteling real bad from somwhere in the engine. Thinking the worst I figured it was a broken valve retainer and the engine was going to or already swallowed a valve. Seemed to drive okay so went home (less than 3 miles). Check engine light came on and put it into limp home mode. The rattle went away after 3k but no power (probably due to the ECU). Checked the code; a #4, bad crank sensor or, *gulp* skipped tooth on timing belt. Tear the valve cover and timing belt covers off to find that the main bolt that bolts the cam gear to the cam is loose and backd out a bit! Torque that down and line everything up to tdc, no skipped teeth! But now the timing belt is doing weird things. 1)When I was turning the engine over by hand, the belt would go slack in between the cam gears. 2) after I put it back together, minus the timing belt cover, and started her up. No more noise but the belt seems to be flapping around a bit on both sides of the crank. Is this normal? I've never really seen a timing belt under Idle. Maybe it got stretched a bit? I want to hear a few more ideas because I'm stumped and a bit afraid to drive it like this.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2004, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help. odd problem with timing belt and cam gears (RacerZook)

Check that your tensioner is in functioning order. A timing belt under idle shouldn't flex at all. It should look like its just sitting there, only spinning. If that made any sense.

But yeah, check ur tensioner, then change the belt if needed.