Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

help: broke timing belt, bent valves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help: broke timing belt, bent valves?

im writing this for my friend who just recently broke his timing belt on his 95 LS. from what he told me he was drivin to my house and all of a sudden the car shuts off so he put it in neutral and coasted to a stop. we popped the hood and right away saw the timing belt broke in half. so we got the car to my house and we decided to pull the head to check for possible bent valves. first of all the timing marks were off but not by much. as soon as we got the head off we noticed all the pistons were in mid stroke and they all looked fine. then looking at the head all the valves were in the closed position. so my question is do we have to dissassemble the head to find out if the valves are bent? right now im in a machine shop class at my automotive school so i could do that there if needed. or would it be a better idea to just replace the head.......? my friend's on a budget so we have to go the cheapest way. let me know, thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 11:59 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: help: broke timing belt, bent valves? (typeRobtypeS)

The manuals say that the timing belt on a '95 Integra should be replaced every 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first.

If this is the original timing belt, it should have been replaced at least five years ago.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help: broke timing belt, bent valves? (nsxtasy)

sorry, i forgot to mention that the car had a motor swap done from the previous owner. so the mileage on the motor is a lot lower. but anyways can someone answer my question?
Old 07-05-2006, 02:48 PM

from what i've seen, chances are there are some bent valves. that all depends on how fast he was going and luck. the same thing happened to my sister and it didn't look bad but she had 3 bent valves. hope that helps you.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help: broke timing belt, bent valves? (98gsr)

so theres no way of knowing unless i dissassemble the head and inspect the valves??
Old 07-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, i know someone out there knows the answer to this. help me out guys
Old 07-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a way to know. its called a compression test. if your numbers are low. then you know why. more than likely you have bent valves though...

i think you can rent the tool to do the compression test at like autozone or something

for sure your gona need to put on the new timming belt first.

i would just pull off the head and check cause if you put on the timming belt just to find out your gona have to take it off its gona be lame... and if you find out they arent bent then it will be cool cause you can just change the head gasket while your at it and youll be squared away.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (LordAphotic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LordAphotic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is a way to know. its called a compression test. if your numbers are low. then you know why. more than likely you have bent valves though...

i think you can rent the tool to do the compression test at like autozone or something

for sure your gona need to put on the new timming belt first.

i would just pull off the head and check cause if you put on the timming belt just to find out your gona have to take it off its gona be lame... and if you find out they arent bent then it will be cool cause you can just change the head gasket while your at it and youll be squared away.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto that, that was smart not to try to restart the car but to see what happened, I broke a timming belt getting off the freeway while downshifting. Got lucky and there was damage. Take the advice from above, because thats what the shop that repaired my car did,
Old 07-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LordAphotic)

as i said in my original statement we pulled the head off. all the valves were closed and they looked normal so does that mean they arent bent or do i have to dissassemble the valves from the head to find out?
Old 07-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just put the head back on due the timing and see what happens it doesnt take long the same thing happend to mine and i was screwed but you might get lucky you never know.