Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Help - B18 blowing fuel out the back + no power

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - B18 blowing fuel out the back + no power

My B18C1 Turbo (w/ Chrome) came down with a bug a long time ago.

Everything was ok and then Vehicle started running progressively worse, over months. It's like the worst vacuum leak ever + the worst slipping clutch.

Started with a slight sputter on load when cold. Working it through until it warmed up a bit. This went ok for a few months. Performance was a bit poor, but driveable. When it did clear up each day, it was sudden, as in sputter-sputter-vroom. Then run fair as if nothing had happened, even under load.

Next it began to hold on to the symptoms, sputtering under load throughout trip. Some days it would clear up eventually, some not.

Now, she just sputters and dies. It will idle rough. In order to get it moving you have to ebrake it and keep the rpm's up. Last time I tried, when I got out on the road and engaged the clutch fully to accellerate, I ended up taching 4000 and doing 10 mph. NO POWER AT ALL.

My out of town buddy things the ECU is retarding the timing, like limp home mode, but it's way beyond that.

There is enough fuel blowing out the back to light off a vapor bomb.

I checked a TPS and MAP with meter, and they seem to react properly. I have spark all the way across. All injectors are blowing fuel equally (visual open air inspection), but a fog it aint. It's like a big squirt gun.

I took ECU to the local chrome guys, and they said it starts. I know it starts, but no one has tested it under a load (Perhaps it's not the problem)

Can anyone please give me some insight into this. This is my only car, and I have been walking to work for months. I miss my car.

Thanks for your time and experience.
John
Old 09-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help - B18 blowing fuel out the back + no power

Get it re tuned, might need to have your injectors cleaned
Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Trial User

Hidenplanview,
Yeah, and thanks for the reply.
All the guys that set up the ECU have looked at it during early problems, and said the tuning is within parameters. It may be months before I can take it to a pro, and before i am able to, I need to to what I can to fix anything that might be wrong. Like sensors, etc.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is you timing belt and cam gears set correctly? Do you have the injectors wired correctly? Sounds like the injectors are spraying before the valves are closed or spraying too late.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it in open loop or closed loop? Might need an o2 sensor.. If you know someone with a snapon lab scope have the check the fuel trim. If its way off might be map, tps, iat, or o2.. One of those reading incorrectly could make you run really bad
Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Trial User

Thanks so much for your replies and suggestions. I need all the help I can get.
Nothing has changed with system wiring (unless wire broken), so fule should be hooked up as it was.
O2 - Open loop, Crome hard maps, no variable, no O2 sensor input.
Timing - After I get her tuning and oiled up, I'm heading for a timing light to see if the timing is whacked. If it is, then I'll start backtracking.

I'll post what I find, if I can get that far. Thanks !
Old 09-11-2011, 10:52 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would start with the simple stuff, check both valve, [may have skipped a tooth] and ign. timing, [distributor may be loose] I would also check valve lash, could be valves are not closing, [raw fuel out the exhaust]. 94
Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Trial User

No luck so far, she's been sitting for awhile. I'll post my results when I get that far. She's stuck. PITA. Thanks again.