Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

gray/white smoke coming out of my exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gray/white smoke coming out of my exhaust?

Hey guys. For some reason everytime i get into a gear, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, and i punch on the gas, gray/white/alil black smog come out of my exhaust like crazy. i'm just wondering what might be the reason for this. Is there something wrong with the motor? (gsr motor)
Old 08-26-2004, 01:43 PM

Default Re: gray/white smoke coming out of my exhaust? (newBcrxer)

you could be burning oil which may be a head gasket or piston ring(s) among other possible issues, do a compression test and a leakdown test and post the results
Old 08-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gray/white smoke coming out of my exhaust? (NotSoSlimShady)

what ecu and program if any are you running?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:46 PM

Default Re: gray/white smoke coming out of my exhaust? (vtec69)

Also what mods are/have you done to the motor? I smoked the turbo seals in my LS and even after a brand new turbo was installed it smoked like a bitch for quite a few miles after that. Just burning off eccess oil in the exhaust.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: gray/white smoke coming out of my exhaust? (newBcrxer)

it's not oil, if you burn oil your smoke would be blue, white smoke is generally not too much to worry about, black smoke can be carbon build up, how long have you had the motor, how often to you push it to redline, check your timing, check if they're is liquid coming out of your tailpipe, could be running rich.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: gray/white smoke coming out of my exhaust? (Martyr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Martyr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's not oil, if you burn oil your smoke would be blue, white smoke is generally not too much to worry about, black smoke can be carbon build up, how long have you had the motor, how often to you push it to redline, check your timing, check if they're is liquid coming out of your tailpipe, could be running rich.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agreed with you up until the point where you said white smoke is generally not too much to worry about that. I disagree with that statement.

If the smoke is blueish/white...you've got oil getting into your combustion chamber somehow. either through the valves, valve seals, or piston rings most likely. If it is definitely white, you've got coolant in your combustion chamber. That means leaky headgasket, warped head, etc.

Black, that's just running rich. That is something that wouldn't raise TOO much concern in my mind.

Is this white smoke all the time? When you're on the throttle? Off the throttle? Is it just condensation from cool weather?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Re: gray/white smoke coming out of my exhaust? (ScreaminTeg)

he didn't say blueish white, he just said white, and white could be a coolant leak but I'm sure he's checked his coolant and he would have a lot of water coming from his tailpipe, that's why I said check the tailpipe. You can also have white smoke when your car is running cold.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Martyr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he didn't say blueish white, he just said white, and white could be a coolant leak but I'm sure he's checked his coolant and he would have a lot of water coming from his tailpipe, that's why I said check the tailpipe. You can also have white smoke when your car is running cold.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you Captian Obvious.

I was covering all grounds that could possible be his problem. He wasn't very specific as to when this mysterious smoke is there.

At any rate, if you are cruising down the road, and all of a sudden white smoke is pouring out of your exhaust, then minutes later you melt your internals because your temp shot well past 200 degrees and it was a blown head gasket, don't come cryin' to your favorite online web forum.

If he doesn't know what colors can mean what, then how is he ever going to learn?
Old 08-26-2004, 04:26 PM

Default Re: gray/white smoke coming out of my exhaust? (ScreaminTeg)

Anyways, just trying to help. Just start checking stuff then post back up what you find.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i know with my car, i get some white smoke when I hit vtec and I was told that thats just unburned fuel

Old 08-26-2004, 05:33 PM

Default Re: gray/white smoke coming out of my exhaust? (vtec69)

If you have a lot of unburned fuel that means you're running rich and the smoke would be black.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:00 AM

hmmm.. Thanks for all your responds guys. To answer some of those questions, it burns motor oil and got to add a quart every month, i dont race it. But have a high revving B16 Jdm tranny. No mods to the engine, running a mugen ecu, someone told me that the mugen ecu could be the result of the smoke. and liquid do come out of my exhaust, just alittle, not that much. Thanks guys