Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

FULLY BUILT GSR

Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FULLY BUILT GSR

CAN I GET PEOPLES OPINION ON GOIN FULLY BUILT GSR....
Old 08-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FULLY BUILT GSR (mande456)

What is your definition of fully built?
All out drag or daily driven?
For an all out drag, you better have mad chedda.

For a daily driver, throw in an LS/B20 crank and rods to stroke your motor. You'll have a sleeper LSvtec, stroked GSR, whatever you wanna call it. Get some good headwork, cams, bolt ons, tune, proper clearances and building, etc. and you can have a realiable daily driver

Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FULLY BUILT GSR (ruffrhyder)

fully built ta me is built head(sent ta the machine shop, ported polished,cams, 3 angle valve job etc) bolt ons..pistons, sleeved block, crank, water pump, oil pump
Old 08-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FULLY BUILT GSR (ruffrhyder)

oh yea ta be my daily driver to
Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what kinds of opinions are you looking for?

what are you goals for the car? then maybe people will give you some real answers
Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 PM

Like all built setups, it's great....as long as you dont cut corners with the build.

But if done right you can have youself a real fun daily driver
Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FULLY BUILT GSR (Sentra)

im basically lukin for a all motor gsr that will do 12's
Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Genetically Gay

to me nothing sounds better then a open head allmotor vtec.gl on the build
Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for money considerations i would go LS-Turbo then. Getting a GSR motor tweaked out that hard would take a crapload of money. For the price, you could sell your GSR motor, buy an LS motor, and have ~$1000-$2000 left over to purchase the turbocharger and go from there.

a 12 second GSR motor is definetely drag only material. All of your power would be pretty much in the high, high end and it would be pretty irritating to drive on the street, even if it were legal to drive a car like that in the first place. Good luck getting those cams to idle below 1000rpm ;p

Whereas you can keep your low end power and probably even meet emissions with an LS turbo built up that much.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: FULLY BUILT GSR (Neptronix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Neptronix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for money considerations i would go LS-Turbo then. Getting a GSR motor tweaked out that hard would take a crapload of money. For the price, you could sell your GSR motor, buy an LS motor, and have ~$1000-$2000 left over to purchase the turbocharger and go from there.
a 12 second GSR motor is definetely drag only material. All of your power would be pretty much in the high, high end and it would be pretty irritating to drive on the street, even if it were legal to drive a car like that in the first place. Good luck getting those cams to idle below 1000rpm ;p
Whereas you can keep your low end power and probably even meet emissions with an LS turbo built up that much.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, a 12 second GSR can easily be driven on the street and would NOT require a "Crapload" of money. As far as low end power, if built right it will put out a good amount of tq to make it fun to drive in the low RPM's.
Why would anyone waste their money and time selling their GSR to buy an LS.
LS turbo cars do not make great power for the money invested in them.
For the money spent you could easily built a great all motor setup.

Mande it's really your call but think of it like this, you want to go fast right?
So you can spend money on a turbo LS setup which may make 240 wheel
or
You can spend your money on building an all motor GSR which could make 180 - 240 wheel which within those numbers would easily out perform the above mentioned LS turbo.

Modified by Mattb16teg at 4:43 PM 8/5/2008
Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FULLY BUILT GSR (Mattb16teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mattb16teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry, a 12 second GSR can easily be driven on the street and would NOT require a "Crapload" of money. As far as low end power, if built right it will put out a good amount of tq to make it fun to drive in the low RPM's.
Why would anyone waste their money and time selling their GSR to buy an LS.
LS turbo cars do not make great power for the money invested in them.
For the money spent you could easily built a great all motor setup.

Mande it's really your call but think of it like this, you want to go fast right?
So you can spend money on a turbo LS setup which may make 240 wheel
or
You can spend your money on building an all motor GSR which could make 180 - 240 wheel which within those numbers would easily out perform the above mentioned LS turbo.

Modified by Mattb16teg at 4:43 PM 8/5/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

but then again a turbo GSR can easily attain 300-350 whp with a good tune on a stock engine and would give that all motor gsr a hell of a run for its money
Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: FULLY BUILT GSR (steveo135)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steveo135 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but then again a turbo GSR can easily attain 300-350 whp with a good tune on a stock engine and would give that all motor gsr a hell of a run for its money</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's true...I remember one of my friends just bought a bolt on turbo kit for his pretty much stock gsr....went to get it tuned and made 278whp. I ended up going the NA route and spent more money and my motor produced near the 200whp mark......I just never been a huge fan of turbo set ups, but if I were to do it all over, I would've built it for turbo.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FULLY BUILT GSR (steveo135)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steveo135 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but then again a turbo GSR can easily attain 300-350 whp with a good tune on a stock engine and would give that all motor gsr a hell of a run for its money</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, but OP wants an NA build. 12 sec. DD is very attainable. 2 of my buddies run high 12's in their fully built GSR's, and several of my other buddies have turboed GSR's running mid 12's. Both setups are fun to drive, all their cars are daily driven.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you kidding me? a turbo LS can put out ~200whp with a mild, cheap turbo kit and a tune alone. There are people making up to 600whp with turbo kits ( extreme ) and with a built block it is not difficult to hit a reliable 300whp or possibly more.

IMHO our motors seriously lack torque and that is one of their main downfalls. Turbos add a crap load of torque in proportion with the HP they produce.

A crazy built GSR will rev all the way up to 9000rpm-11,000rpm ( will take forever, even with a b16 transmission unless you swap out your final drive/gears ) and make it's power only at peak RPM, whereas a turbo'd LS will easily produce peak horsepower at 5000-7000rpm, and slam you back into your seat like flooring the pedal in a corvette or mustang gt would.

I guess it comes down to preference. I find a motor with more low torque much more pleasurable to drive than a high end vtec monster. But the fact is, if you browse around on H-T long enough you'll notice that most people pushing over 300whp are turbo.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FULLY BUILT GSR (iH8RICERZ)

Yes, but a turbo GSR comes with some complications. I think the worst part of it is that you actually have to de-tune it with low compression pistons, etc to get it working reliably. That sucks!!

I would imagine a turbo gsr to be a pretty pricey build, but very, very satisfying. Back in the day i was considering building up my D16y8 because a turbo vtec sounds friggin' awesome. My only complaint was that transmission would have held me back and i would have had to get some rusty beat up late 80's transmission to get the thing to actually move like it should.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: FULLY BUILT GSR (Neptronix)

let's get back to the OP's question

A fully built GSR would be a great choice, DEPENDING on what you are using the car for!
If you drive it daily, road race it, weekend drag car ,etc.

I have a built LS Vtec and only drive it when its nice for pleasure. I def could not see driving it everyday because gas for one, no AC and things like that.

It all depends what you want it for, who builds it and who tunes it. If it is built and tuned right it should last and be a blast!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

THNX FOR YA HELP PEOPLE...IM OPEN TO MORE OPINIONS SO KEEP UM COMIN
Old 08-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you set on a gsr? A common street A/M setup proven many times is b20vtec using the rsmachine type r pistons. With a good set of cams(sk2s2, bc4, etc) and a decent header/exhaust making a realiable 210-230whp is a blast on the street and with good driving should easily put you in the 12s. The type of setup you sound like your interested in can be done with all shelf parts and reasonably cost effective.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:37 PM

you already have a gsr tranny, have you thought of H2B, 200+ hp n/a
Old 08-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (northemt88)

i am assuming that you have a gsr, forget bout ls/vtec cuz its just gonna be more hassle. gsr is already a good start. personally i am a big fan of vtec. nothing sounds better when vtec kicks. you can actually feel the car pull and wont stop.

if you want a fully built gsr/daily driver/12 sec 1/4, you better have deep pockets cuz it aint gonna be cheap. like they say "you get what you pay for". i would go turbo cuz it is so much more fun. it is not that hard either, thats if you have the money for it.

but if you dont have that much money then get lil by lil and make sure everything is legit. plus it would help if its in a EG, but still possible in a DC. have fun building cuz i knoe i am.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Neptronix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, but a turbo GSR comes with some complications. I think the worst part of it is that you actually have to de-tune it with low compression pistons, etc to get it working reliably. That sucks!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>
that's not necessarily true, i have 10.5:1 in mine no problrms, get a good tune

i personally love the idea of a fully built gsr, mines not entirly done but going for a 500+whp street car but as stated before, the price is up there

but if you have money and want na and want to be quick as crap go k swap hehe
Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with the h2b swap idea. A h22a mated to a GSR transmission would definetely be a good start.

I hear that H22's aren't so great for boosting because of their sleeves, though. But for all motor madness, i would say they are a good candidate.
H22 blocks also are fairly cheap if you get a JDM one. The adapter plate + custom mounts and some other parts total to about $1400 from bisimoto.. but i think there is another company that makes a h2b kit also...

yeah some guys with h22's in EF/EG hatches run 14's right after doing the swap, before any modifications!! makes me jealous!!! but i love my dc2 chassis
Old 08-05-2008, 06:12 PM

installed it will be around 2500 for h2b w/ your tranny and then youll be at 220 ish all stock just do springs and retainers and you have a very reliable and fast daily driver
Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

skunk2 stage 2 cams with the decent retainers and springs, port and polish head, single runner manifold, sleeved block bored to 84mm, forged pistons that would bump the compression up to 11's, supporting forged rods, b16 tranny, properly tuned, fully stripped integra w/ slicks and there's your 12's.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by northemt88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">installed it will be around 2500 for h2b w/ your tranny and then youll be at 220 ish all stock just do springs and retainers and you have a very reliable and fast daily driver</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since when can you pay 2500 and make 220whp stock? If he goes h2b that thing needs to be built pretty heavily to make 220.

This thread unfortunately is full of (knowledge) and not hands on experience. OP just take your idea and see where it gets you and then post back with what worked and what didnt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FULLY BUILT GSR