98 Interga RS, 52,000 Miles. There was no cel, following things were done:

All OEM parts
-O2 Sensor
-Wires
-Plugs
-Cap/rotor
-Fuel Filter
-5w30 Amsoil synthetic

Car is like new, runs so smooth but burns gas like a V8. Taking into consideration that the car is automatic and will burn more than a 5 speed. I have owned 2 DC's myself both 5 speed though....Getting about 170 miles/tank city driving. Anybody?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel mileage....Please help (Mr.x)

what are you idling at. is it alot of city driving. are you putting the proper grade of gas in your car. does the gas youre using contain ethanol. is your air filter clean. are your valve covers leaking. do you floor it everytime you take off. is your valvetrain loud. all of these things could affect your gas mileage.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Fuel mileage....Please help (kronikSLOW)

and one more is there any kind of smoke coming from the tail pipe.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Only 170 miles in the 5 speed? Or 170 in the Auto?

In my 5sp. GSR I'm getting about 260 to the tank, and about 230 to the tank in my Auto RS...

Check your fuel fuel filter and possibly run some sea foam through your whol fuel system then change your fuel filter after.

Also, you might want to unplug your battery, let it sit for 10 minutes, plug it back in and let it idle, without touching the gas, for a full heat cycle. (Usually about 10 minutes).
Old 10-26-2008, 11:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kronikSLOW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what are you idling at. is it alot of city driving. are you putting the proper grade of gas in your car. does the gas youre using contain ethanol. is your air filter clean. are your valve covers leaking. do you floor it everytime you take off. is your valvetrain loud. all of these things could affect your gas mileage.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Car is idling normal, all city driving, putting regular gas in it, don't know if the gas has ethanol. Air filter i forgot to mention I replaced and is brand new. valve cover is not leaking, it's not in need of a valve adjustment, the car is so quiet. The car is automatic. The car is driven by a 50 year old woman, and i know it's not driven hard. Also asked if she drove in D3 and she said she only drives in D4.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kronikSLOW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and one more is there any kind of smoke coming from the tail pipe.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Never done a compression test or a leak down but the car doesn't smoke at all. Just did an oil change on it and what i put in last time came out this time. Doesn't burn oil at all.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Fuel mileage....Please help (Mr.x)

Would the distributor being advanced play a factor? The distributor appears to be tilted to the fire wall telling me it's advanced. This is the way i got it and haven't tampered with it.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the distributor looks off to you, check the ign. timing. Take off the cat converter and look through it. If more than 1/3 of the holes are clogged, replace it. Spray some carb cleaner around the intake manifold and check for vacuum leaks. Are the injectors noisy at all? I'd try some seafoam in the intake manifold, and in the fuel tank also. Just stat narrowing things down.

I'd say chances are, if there's no code, it's a sensor out of whack, vacuum leak, ign timing, clogged cat, or something bad in the fuel system.