Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Front sunroof drain tubes, where do they exit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Front sunroof drain tubes, where do they exit?

I'm still getting some water down under the carpet by the ECU. Today I unbolted my ECU and found the bracket that it sits in to be probably 70% covered in rust.

That means water is definitely running down the side of the car directly in front of the door, and I highly suspect the front sunroof drain tube to be the problem. If I remove the A-pillar trim, I can see the tube going down inside it, but I can't seem to find where it attaches to the body to exit. For one thing the heater core is in the way big time. I tried flipping up the stops on the glovebox so it would swing all the way down to the floor, and look in under the dash through there, but I still couldn't find it. Any one know where that tube attaches?
Old 01-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Front sunroof drain tubes, where do they exit? (PatrickGSR94)

I belive it goes underneath the fender. it does not go to the floor.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front sunroof drain tubes, where do they exit? (ITAIntegraLS)

yeah but it has to connect somewhere behind the dash, but I couldn't find it.

I believe it is either disconnected or clogged and is letting water run down to the floor behind my ECU and under the carpet.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:23 AM
99-0104

dude that car leaks more then a salvage car make sure it isnt your winshield leaking because i had a customer one time that water would drip on his ecu in the rain and it would make the AC turn on but everything else would work fine ... that was a nightmare to find the cause ... ... also on the sunroof tubes you can look to see if they are connected if you lower the headliner they are 1 piece tubes so if they are attached you better pull it off and use compressed air to make sure the passage way is clear ... also i have seen water come in from the heater/ac boxes under the dash ... so maybe just have someone outside with a hose and you can sit in the car looking for the leak
Old 01-10-2005, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front sunroof drain tubes, where do they exit? (Stripped Honda)

in the DA the front tubes run down the a-pillar through between the door and fender and drain somewhere above the small piece of molding on the fender.

another thing you might think of is http://www.g2ic.com/tegtips/interior/15.html
Old 01-10-2005, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front sunroof drain tubes, where do they exit? (Stripped Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stripped Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude that car leaks more then a salvage car make sure it isnt your winshield leaking because i had a customer one time that water would drip on his ecu in the rain and it would make the AC turn on but everything else would work fine ... that was a nightmare to find the cause ... ... also on the sunroof tubes you can look to see if they are connected if you lower the headliner they are 1 piece tubes so if they are attached you better pull it off and use compressed air to make sure the passage way is clear ... also i have seen water come in from the heater/ac boxes under the dash ... so maybe just have someone outside with a hose and you can sit in the car looking for the leak </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just put all new weather stripping on that plastic cowl trim at the base of the windshield, so I'm pretty sure that's not where it's coming in.

When I had my headliner out a few weeks ago, I did blow compressed air down all 4 drain tubes, but that doesn't mean the front pass. side one isn't disconnected where it attaches to the body behind the dashboard.

And I know it's not the heater core, because for one thing I don't smell any coolant leaking, and another thing it's not dripping down from anywhere, it's running down the metal behind the ECU and getting up under the carpet. I had my floormat in there last Friday when it was raining and the floormat did not get wet at all, but the carpet underneath did.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front sunroof drain tubes, where do they exit? (MAV3RiCK478)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MAV3RiCK478 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in the DA the front tubes run down the a-pillar through between the door and fender and drain somewhere above the small piece of molding on the fender.

another thing you might think of is http://www.g2ic.com/tegtips/interior/15.html </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I've seen the how-to's on that, but I looked when I was replacing the cowl weather stripping and I don't think DC's have anything like that that would need replacing.

My drain tubes run down the A-pillar, behind the dash, and out of the car behind the fender. My problem is I can't see where they connect to the frame of the car behind the fender. I might end up having to take my fenders off to see where the tube drain is, and then try to look inside and find the tube.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that sucks that you have to take the fender off
good luck and hope its just a clog and you can clear it out.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front sunroof drain tubes, where do they exit? (MAV3RiCK478)

Yeah seriously I'm sick of this. I've had probably 3 different leaks that all kind of appeared at the same time about 2-3 months ago. I had water leaking from the rear washer nozzle, fixed that awhile back. My taillight was leaking like Niagara Falls, finally fixed that last week, and still have this small leak by the ECU.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn patrick.....that car has way too many leaks......its common to have a trunk full of water....but yours is like everywhere....good luck finding it though.....
Old 01-10-2005, 08:10 AM

i used to have a 94 gs-r but i never looked where it drains to but on my 91 ls it drains on both sides of the car. there is 2 little white nozzles under the car directly behind the front fenders. If I were you I would tear out the dash and follow the tube as far as you can and then shoot the air compressor in the tube and look for water to bubble. Hope you figure it out.
DnA motorsports
Old 01-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front sunroof drain tubes, where do they exit? (dnamotorsports)

oh hell no I am NOT pulling the dashboard out unless I absolutely HAVE to. Been there done that on my old Camry, and it was a total PITA, and I didn't have to deal with airbags on that car.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you figure it out? I think I have the same issue leak right next to the ecu and also a tad leaking and dripping by the sunvisor
Old 11-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front sunroof drain tubes, where do they exit? (illusive)

It has a little plastic piece that it runs into. If Im not mistaken, its more or less behind the passenger side air vent about 6 inches or so. You might be able to see it from the little removal panel over there on the dash and/or take out the glove box and that might help a bit.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:04 PM

Hey man,
I have the same damn issue, it is pissing me off. I have water seeping in behind my ecu, for one.
Second, I have water leaking in by my back tailights.
Third, i have water leaking on both sides of my small rear windows.
After it rains my whole passenger side of my car has pools of water. I could go swimming in that b*tch. I even get water pooling up underneath my rear passenger side seat.
I read a comment on here that someone said that it is "common" to have water that pools up in your truck. Can someone explain why it is common to have the water pool up like that.
All this happens when it rains, and like i said it is pissing me off. Any suggestions on how to fix theses areas?? Let me know,
Old 04-16-2009, 10:52 AM
New User

Default Re: Front sunroof drain tubes, where do they exit?

Water in the rear hatch is due to the drainage tube coming loose on the rear right passenger side. Just take off the molding back there and reinsert it into the foam casing and maybe wrap some tape around it to make sure it doesn't come out again. If the tube is not loose than it may be the Driver side rear rube or the antenna drain tube same problem different place.

As for the water under the carpet I have been having the same stupid problem and have checked everything with that drain tube on the front passenger side. I have poured water down it and it drains fine and no leaks on the ECU. SO if anyone finds out what is causing the leak please let me know.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You were a day away from bumping a two year old thread. I doubt he still has a problem with a leak. Just an FYI.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holy OLD@$$ thread batman!!!!!!!!

Yes, I still have the leak. The water is coming in somewhere inside the frame rail. It is not accessible unless the frame is cut open, hence why I have not fixed it in the past 3 years. I just keep a couple towels under the carpet, change them out every couple of weeks, clean the area under the carpet with Clorox cleaner, and spray Febreeze in the car regularly.

Sucks I know, but I just can't afford to be without my car to get it fixed, nor do I have the ability to weld the frame back up if I tried to fix it myself.

These are some pics I made to show where the leak is, but this is not my car. To get to the point where the water enters, I would either have to drill spot welds and remove the half of the frame rail completely and weld it back on, or cut a hole in it and weld it back shut.

Name:  FrameRail.jpg
Views: 23165
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  FrameRailRemoved.jpg
Views: 32818
Size:  64.3 KB

BTW the water in the trunk was caused by water entering the tail light housings along the upper edge of the red lens. It was NOT due to gasket failure. I sealed along the top edge of the lenses and have never had a problem back there since.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-12-2009, 09:58 PM
New User

hey, this thread has been handy so far. but im having trouble with my front drain tube, i need to reconnect it but can't find a way of finding the pipe. did u end up fixing yours?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, my da integra has that same problem. water leaking onto the passenger floor by the ecu. its not the sunroof, its the front cowel where the windshield wipers are. take that off and there is a vent for the climate control and the seals get old and soon enough when it rains hard, water leaks.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ///Nick
dude, my da integra has that same problem. water leaking onto the passenger floor by the ecu. its not the sunroof, its the front cowel where the windshield wipers are. take that off and there is a vent for the climate control and the seals get old and soon enough when it rains hard, water leaks.
did you fix it permanently by replacing the seals?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol not yet. i lost my job so im not really able to work on my car as much as i would like to.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bringing this back up.

-when I searched this topic this is the best thread I could find, so here's what I've found.

I have a 92 civic si.

When I got this si a couple weeks ago I began tearing it down, to replace dash,, and Many other things to make the interior perfect again. I noticed the driver side and passenger side rubber/foam firewall pad would soak up water at the very bottom, yet there was no trace of moisture higher up along the metal..

I found on the driver side that the sunroof drain tube had come undone from it's transition where it feeds into the larger tube... located on the inner side of the dash.

I put it back together and it's been dry since.

However, the passenger side was next on my to do list.

I thought maybe the sunroof drain was disconnected. It wasn't.
-I poured water and watched... no leak.

-then I poured water on front windshield, and cowl... no leaks...

then I realized what it was.

The WEATHERSTRIPPING !!!!

here's my si with interior out. * just put in my full pwr window conversion (with ex harness) and my front seats so far.

tear at top corner:

small gash on down closer to the mirror:

it would put water inside along the door jam, then drip down into the rubber strip:

Then it would follow down that strip and trickle all the way down to here, where it would drip out and go straight down and end up soaking up into the foam like a paper towel. I put in RED where it follows down:

I hope this helps some ppl. I'm sure there's plenty of ppl out there that have the same problem and just don't realize a small tear in the weather strip will make water end up in this spot
Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

p.s. driving down the road to my buddys shop to yank nice used weatherstrip of a ex problem Solved...
Old 03-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha old@$$ thread once again! I only wish it were that simple with my car. See in your pic with the red line, where that odd-shaped metal bracket is that holds the ECU? Well in my car that water is dripping down the painted metal BEHIND that bracket. It's coming from somewhere inside the frame rail.

One of these days I hope I can get around to cutting a hole and maybe fixing this thing. A guy at a body shop that worked on my car recently said I could borrow his $300 air-powered seam sealer gun whenever I get to working on it.

Been driving the car for 6+ years with that leak now...

Quick Reply: Front sunroof drain tubes, where do they exit?