Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

Looking forward to more progress. I love restoration threads. But I'm in Pa too, and I haven't touched my car since like October lol. My garage doesn't have room for a car...
Old 01-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing project. Good luck with the restore.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great story. I had a major realization at work today that goes something like "If it puts a smile on my face, it's probably good. If not, don't walk away, run".

This car is nothing but good for you - dive all the way in and get it all.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, I remember the car from pittspeed. Sad to see how far it fell apart, but, the salt kills **** around here. I want to say I bought something off of you(bmx bike maybe?) and we met up and shot the **** for a while in a parking lot.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GREAT STORY !
Old 01-23-2015, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome come back....can't wait to see more....
Old 01-23-2015, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Grand
Wow, I remember the car from pittspeed. Sad to see how far it fell apart, but, the salt kills **** around here. I want to say I bought something off of you(bmx bike maybe?) and we met up and shot the **** for a while in a parking lot.
^holy crap, i forgot all about that. funny finding some of the same people on here from "back in the day". yeah we met up in Monroeville for my old GT mach one. you still on pittspeed at all anymore? if you can even call it that now lol.

i hope to have some more updates this weekend now that the car is back up on jackstands in the garage. i'm going to start with the fuel tank and see if i can save it, if i can that will let me use that $175 towards something else for the car. so definitely look for some more updates this weekend.

and thank you very much for featuring my build in this month's honda-tech email, it means a lot to me! i was really surprised when i checked my email last night and saw a picture of my car. i showed my wife the email and the write up and she said "yes, you are keeping this car forever. i heard you whine about selling it for 4.5 years, i will not let you sell this car ever again!" lol, shes a keeeeeeper
Old 01-23-2015, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by danteisme
thank you very much for featuring my build in this month's honda-tech email, it means a lot to me! i was really surprised when i checked my email last night and saw a picture of my car. i showed my wife the email and the write up and she said "yes, you are keeping this car forever. i heard you whine about selling it for 4.5 years, i will not let you sell this car ever again!" lol, shes a keeeeeeper
Definitely a keeper there! Both the wife and the car lol

Happy to hear you got your car back, I wish I could do the same but mine ended up getting crushed with a b18c and jdm b16 lsd trans still in it
Old 01-23-2015, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^holy crap, i forgot all about that. funny finding some of the same people on here from "back in the day". yeah we met up in Monroeville for my old GT mach one. you still on pittspeed at all anymore? if you can even call it that now lol.
Want to know the funny thing, I STILL have that bike sitting in my garage now. It needs work and I will probably fix it up for my son when he's big enough because its there lol.

Pittspeed is dead, Whitey sold it a few years ago to the guy that runs NYspeed and no one posts there anymore. He started up what was essential pittspeed2, but it died after a few months(url is dead, dont think many people posted on it).
Old 01-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, if I ever find my E46 again and am in a position to purchase I hope it's not in this condition, if not I'm going to have a lot of work cut out for myself also lol

Great work OP, look forward to more progress, glad you were able to find your car again.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 8Grand
Want to know the funny thing, I STILL have that bike sitting in my garage now. It needs work and I will probably fix it up for my son when he's big enough because its there lol.

Pittspeed is dead, Whitey sold it a few years ago to the guy that runs NYspeed and no one posts there anymore. He started up what was essential pittspeed2, but it died after a few months(url is dead, dont think many people posted on it).
yeah i figured it was gone. i log in on NY speed just to see what is happening on there, some of the projects are cool to look at. i dont think i have posted on there since it was pittspeed though. awesome you still have that bike, definitely fix it up for your son. its a pimp ride lol
Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlkD12agon
Damn, if I ever find my E46 again and am in a position to purchase I hope it's not in this condition, if not I'm going to have a lot of work cut out for myself also lol

Great work OP, look forward to more progress, glad you were able to find your car again.
thanks! i hope to at least have some minor updates after this weekend. trying to juggle this and house projects, its not easy lol
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i have some minor updates to share, and also looking for a little insight. first i thought i would show off my work space lol, i'm pleased with how it is turning out.

the electric situation will be finished in the spring when my buddy can give me a hand, then all of the lights will be on a switch vs. plugging them in all the time

my one work bench, shop manuals, tools, and entertainment area.

and the car's workspace. next to the motorcycle workspace... i have too many projects lol

and the latest addition to the garage as of Saturday.

so onto the car stuff...i took a look at the fuel line that i know is going to need repaired because i boogered it all up taking it off the fuel pump.

looking for some helpful hints for this one. obviously i cant reuse that pressure clip. i have seen some repair kits at advance, but i am pretty sure they use a compression fitting in the repair. i do not like compression fittings....at all. so, definitely looking for some help and suggestions with this repair.

The return line from the tank looks like it was repaired at some point. i saw this because i dont think it came from the factory with a compression fitting. as much as i hate them, how bad is this since it is the return line? i also forgot to get a good picture of the fuel line repair i saw under the car. i forget which line it was on, so it will probably get taken care of when i make the other repairs. here is the compression fitting return line.

onto the passenger front brake line. even using the brake line wrench, this fitting keeps rounding off.

i was originally going to look at cutting, re-flaring etc... etc... but given its location, i may just look at how much a new one is from honda.

i'm not sure how big of a deal this is either...onto the doors of the car. the vapor barriers are basically falling apart if i touch them lol. i'm not in the know, how needed are these on the car?

lastly, the fuel tank. on the outside it looked pretty nasty. so i figured i would take out the pump and see if it was worth saving. i'm going to clean up the outside and coat the whole thing in chassis saver and use the money i would have spent on another tank somewhere else in this build. the inside looks pretty darn good to me.

it was hard to capture the "cleanliness" of the inside of the tank.

Possibly a stupid question. how does the sending unit come out of the tank? i know it's bad. at first i thought the sending unit was all part of the pump assembly itself but after looking on acura's part breakdowns it looks like it is separate. the pump works fine, but the gauge doesnt read correctly. when i was draining the fuel from the tank, the gauge read over half a tank and i think i got maybe 4 gallons out of it.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck, bring her back to her glory days!
Old 01-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, that last picture you got there, is not the sending unit. The sending unit is part of the fuel pump assembly. That sensor in the picture is more than likely an emissions sensor for the evap system.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B20z99si
Well, that last picture you got there, is not the sending unit. The sending unit is part of the fuel pump assembly. That sensor in the picture is more than likely an emissions sensor for the evap system.
is it part of the fuel pump assembly? crap, i must have looked at the wrong thing on the parts breakdown...thanks for pointing that out, i'll have to look it up again and get that straightened out.

edit:

i might be calling the part i am looking for the wrong thing. whatever controls the fuel gauge is what is not working correctly. i looked it up just now on oemacuraparts, that part that i dont know how to remove is part 21/22 comes up as metering unit and has some sort of float assembly on it. i'm assuming this is what controls the fuel gauge?

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-pa...el-tank-1-scat

Last edited by danteisme; 01-26-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That is your gas gauge reader/SENDING UNIT I didn't have the funds to replace it when I did my gas tank on my white tegg ended up welding it shut...cliffs I had no gas gauge. there are some on ebay afaik they are 94-01 but i'm not 100% its near impossible to get out mine was fused in there
Old 01-27-2015, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
That is your gas gauge reader/SENDING UNIT I didn't have the funds to replace it when I did my gas tank on my white tegg ended up welding it shut...cliffs I had no gas gauge. there are some on ebay afaik they are 94-01 but i'm not 100% its near impossible to get out mine was fused in there
that's good news that i am looking at the right thing, i just dont see how it comes out at all. no bolts or anything...when you tried to get yours out did you try to pry it out or twist it out? maybe i'll have a better understanding how that thing is in there when i clean off the tank.

Last edited by danteisme; 01-27-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ah i see how it comes out now, i really need to clean mine off to expose these tabs i saw on a couple videos for how to remove it from a civic (i figure its gotta be the same setup).

also found out that honda does not offer that brake line that i need. on oemacuraparts it came up as not an order-able item. DOH
Old 01-29-2015, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just for some help with those brake line replacement parts... Check eBay... Look up Honda metal brake line kits... It's a 20 piece kit that would allow you to redo your lines cheap for around $65
Old 01-29-2015, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm in for this thread! It's nice to see that years later you got your same car back. I've always said the DB8 was the nicest chassis that Honda ever made ( in my opinnion ). I own one myself. Bought it from the original owner bone stock!! Hopefully soon I will start working on it too & make it look nice once again. Good luck with your project!
Old 01-29-2015, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and lastly, i'm looking for some opinions. i'm changing up the wheel color possibly. on the left is the color they were last year (a little more lighter gold than i'd like this time) and on the right is a color from rustoleum. i think i like them, but not sure if they would end up being too dark on the car. whats your guy's opinion???

What color was behind that new color you sprayed? Did you spray the new color over the old gold painted center cap?

Try painting the new color over a silver painted cap and see what it looks like. as of right now, the new color might be too dark IMO. But might not look the same if it were backed with silver
Old 01-29-2015, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
What color was behind that new color you sprayed? Did you spray the new color over the old gold painted center cap?

Try painting the new color over a silver painted cap and see what it looks like. as of right now, the new color might be too dark IMO. But might not look the same if it were backed with silver
i did paint over the old gold, thats a good point. painting over silver would definitely brighten those up a bit. good tip! i agree, the new color is a little darker than i would like.

Originally Posted by jaycorolla
Just for some help with those brake line replacement parts... Check eBay... Look up Honda metal brake line kits... It's a 20 piece kit that would allow you to redo your lines cheap for around $65
thanks for that information! i checked on ebay, doesnt look like anything is on there right now but i will definitely keep looking!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think next time i get to spend some time under the car, i'm going to really start tearing into my fuel lines. i can't tell if what i'm looking at is an older repair or how the car came from the factory. there really isnt good detail of what i'm looking on at the parts breakdown, and there is only a handful of pictures on the web of the area i am trying to figure out. but, fuel lines are definitely the next thing to tackle. i didnt make a ton of headway on the car this past weekend. spent most of the time cleaning the garage and cleaning out the car. i had been keeping a lot of the parts i removed in the car lol.

so this weekend - i continued working on removing the sound deadening, drilled out several broken bolts and broke my mirrors lol. i have no idea how i did this still....my mirrors were folded in. i went to fold them out to make sure they were in good shape and both of them broke. there is nothing to "lock" them into place now, i;m assuming some plastic tab broke somewhere. so i can add that to my list of needed parts now...crap.

i made some "inspiration" decorations for the garage. i printed 2 of my favorite pics of my car, framed them and hung them in the garage.

and a part i acquired that i forgot to post up. i got it for a really good deal. roof rack and 2 bicycle mounts. its older, but it will work fine for what i intend to use it for.

that;s really all from the little time i had to wrench on things this weekend. i cannot wait for spring weather and the evenings being lighter longer. i can really start cranking on this then.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didnt get a whole whole lot done on the car. spent most of the weekend working OT..blah!

so things i did accomplish - fix my heater for the garage so i dont die now when it gets to be feezing
-removed the sound deadening in the trunk and removed a bit more in the interior part of the car.
-poked at the one rust hole in the driver's front wheel well. its a little worse than i had thought, i'm not entirely sure how i am going to go about fixing that
-removed the mirrors to figure out what broke on them, still have no idea
-tested the old oem acura stereo. still works great, now i'm gonna try to add a line in on the unit from a diy thing i saw.

i also got some better pics of my fuel line. it looks like the return line was repaired once before, it is a mix of the hard line and rubber line. it connects to the fuel pump with a rubber line and a clamp, why not just run a rubber line from where it looks like it was repaired once before the whole way up to the fuel pump?

you can see in this picture it looks like it was repaired once because it goes from the metal line, to rubber, back to metal, then back to rubber?

that line is getting a bit rusty

for the other fuel line, this is a crap shoot. i have no idea what this line is supposed to look like.

here is one compression fitting

and here is another one that goes to the end with the quick release to the fuel pump?

this may be a long shot, but does anyone have a picture of what this fuel line is actually supposed to look like? i'd rather address this now with the tank and everything off the car rather than later...

or is the fuel system low enough pressure that compression fittings are ok? i know that they are a no-no on the brake lines, won't pass inspection in PA either on the brake lines. looking for some insight on this

Quick Reply: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread