Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start problem HELP

View My Video

https://youtu.be/ZP58FBpMnTw

Just in case the clip didn't work
LS/VTEC automatic... I replaced some sensors still no help. I doubt Is the spark plugs because my engine came bare so the shop has to put some in. It starts fine hot but if I would to leave it for maybe an hour or more it will have issues starting sounds like a horse with a bad cough..I haven't changed the dizzy ...help plz ....b18a1/jdmb16 If there is a sensor am missing let me know

Old 09-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Cold start problem HELP

did you bleed the cooling system to get the air out?

Old 09-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tamboo
did you bleed the cooling system to get the air out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUpXgAJ1gjU
It shouldn't have airbone stock engine also I just replaced the radiator last week....**** starting to get on my nerves
Old 09-09-2016, 09:53 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Was the ECT senor replaced, not to be confused with the ECT switch or ECT sending unit?
You did not answer the question that tamboo asked, "did you" bleed the coolant system after replacing the rad?
Anytime the coolant system is serviced, [parts replaced] you must bleed the system to insure no air remains in the system, regardless of what engine you have. 94
Old 09-09-2016, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Was the ECT senor replaced, not to be confused with the ECT switch or ECT sending unit?
You did not answer the question that tamboo asked, "did you" bleed the coolant system after replacing the rad?
Anytime the coolant system is serviced, [parts replaced] you must bleed the system to insure no air remains in the system, regardless of what engine you have. 94
Am not sure if he did bleed the coolant system I hope he did to be a shop am going back tomorrow to change my dizzy ....ect sensor Idk I looked up tw sensor 1 behind the block that has been changed my fan switch been changed 1 more sensor but I didn't see where that go cuz I walked away but I bought 3 sensors and been changed..I googled the block they only showing me 3 ..but if I missed one plz show me a pic because every time I look for something never comes out unless am not looking for it
Old 09-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This a differnt block but still odbo engine...i only see 3...ok i red that thread that is a coolant fan thing

Originally Posted by oscar112709
Am not sure if he did bleed the coolant system I hope he did to be a shop am going back tomorrow to change my dizzy ....ect sensor Idk I looked up tw sensor 1 behind the block that has been changed my fan switch been changed 1 more sensor but I didn't see where that go cuz I walked away but I bought 3 sensors and been changed..I googled the block they only showing me 3 ..but if I missed one plz show me a pic because every time I look for something never comes out unless am not looking for it
Old 09-09-2016, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This a differnt block but still odbo engine...i only see 3...ok i red that thread that is a coolant fan thing
Bump
Old 09-10-2016, 08:52 AM
fcm
Old Fart

There are three(3) ECT sensors the ECT sensor supplying engine temp. info to the ECU, the ECT sending unit supplies engine temp to temp. gauge in cluster and the ECT switch controlling the rad fan, the one you need to make sure is working is the ECT sensor as it is what controls the air fuel ratio, rich of cold starts an lean for warm starts, if it is not working and ECU always sees a warm engine even when cold the AF ratio will be lean on the cold engine leading to hard starting when cold, the revers is also true and a bigger problem, if ECU always sees a cold engine the AF ratio will always be rich resulting in hard starting when warm but also poor performance and poor fuel economy.

The ECT sensor is the 2 wire one below the distributor, also check continuity of the two leads between the sensor and ECU.
The ECU supplies the sensor with a ground and a 5V reference. 94
Old 09-10-2016, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
There are three(3) ECT sensors the ECT sensor supplying engine temp. info to the ECU, the ECT sending unit supplies engine temp to temp. gauge in cluster and the ECT switch controlling the rad fan, the one you need to make sure is working is the ECT sensor as it is what controls the air fuel ratio, rich of cold starts an lean for warm starts, if it is not working and ECU always sees a warm engine even when cold the AF ratio will be lean on the cold engine leading to hard starting when cold, the revers is also true and a bigger problem, if ECU always sees a cold engine the AF ratio will always be rich resulting in hard starting when warm but also poor performance and poor fuel economy.

The ECT sensor is the 2 wire one below the distributor, also check continuity of the two leads between the sensor and ECU.
The ECU supplies the sensor with a ground and a 5V reference. 94
Yeah I bought that senor isinstalled. I'll tell the guy to check if it has volts going in ..replaced the senors shown on the Amazon pic way above ...but the mechanic saying it could be fuel related like the pump is out Idk how i hear prime...then he said turn the key real fast till it cranks turn off do it again then start it to see...you think the engine is flooded? Because once in a blue moon smoke will come out brief sec but smells like burnt matches. Not oil Idk know how coolant smells burnt but the smoke smells real strong ..headgasket good no mixing in the coolant..
Old 09-10-2016, 03:29 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Burning coolant will be white "smoke" and have a sickly sweet smell.
Constantly trying to start an engine that will not start will "flood" the engine but more of a problem is it will "wash" the cylinder walls dropping compression.
It does sound like it has a lean A/F ratio when cold, check the continuity of the leads to the ECT sensor, although it should throw a code if there was a problem but stranger things have happened.
I would also do a fuel pressure test, a fuel pressure gauge that you permanently mount after the fuel filter at cheap enough to have for future reference.
The fuel pump may prime but it does not mean it is working properly.
When it is hard starting, [when cold] try and start the engine then immediately remove the spark plugs and check to see if they are "wet" with gas. 94
Old 09-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Burning coolant will be white "smoke" and have a sickly sweet smell.
Constantly trying to start an engine that will not start will "flood" the engine but more of a problem is it will "wash" the cylinder walls dropping compression.
It does sound like it has a lean A/F ratio when cold, check the continuity of the leads to the ECT sensor, although it should throw a code if there was a problem but stranger things have happened.
I would also do a fuel pressure test, a fuel pressure gauge that you permanently mount after the fuel filter at cheap enough to have for future reference.
The fuel pump may prime but it does not mean it is working properly.
When it is hard starting, [when cold] try and start the engine then immediately remove the spark plugs and check to see if they are "wet" with gas. 94
Yeah am going to drop it off Monday moring they going to replace my fitv behing the intake manifold. Also going to tell him check the wiring to the ect sensor but no code, the only code that I have now is the knock sensor that I did bypass but only worked for a week ...yeah that white smoke don't happen often but when it does it smells so bad like you can die from it
Old 09-23-2016, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah am going to drop it off Monday moring they going to replace my fitv behing the intake manifold. Also going to tell him check the wiring to the ect sensor but no code, the only code that I have now is the knock sensor that I did bypass but only worked for a week ...yeah that white smoke don't happen often but when it does it smells so bad like you can die from it
Fuel pump new filter....