Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

clicking noise when brakes are applied...help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking noise when brakes are applied...help

I pulled my car out from storage yesterday and took her for test drive around the block. I noticed there is a clicking sound everytime I brake and when I brake from fast speeds the noise gets louder. The car was on jacks for 3months and wasn't having this problem before I put it away. Any suggestions on what it could be?

For the record the car is a 91 integra LS
Old 03-26-2004, 12:10 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: clicking noise when brakes are applied...help (msTEGGY)

Remove the wheels and check to see if the two screws that hold the each brake rotor, part number 93600-06014-0H, is still there or loose.

Check pad condition for irregular wear. Check rotor for irregular wear. Check brake dust shield for any contacts. Check Caliper for proper movement. Check Caliper piston to see if it is not siezed up. If the caliper is the culprit, there is a rebuild kit available. Part number 01463-ST7-000.

Len
Old 03-26-2004, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clicking noise when brakes are applied...help (len)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by len &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Remove the wheels and check to see if the two screws that hold the each brake rotor, part number 93600-06014-0H, is still there or loose.

Check pad condition for irregular wear. Check rotor for irregular wear. Check brake dust shield for any contacts. Check Caliper for proper movement. Check Caliper piston to see if it is not siezed up. If the caliper is the culprit, there is a rebuild kit available. Part number 01463-ST7-000.

Len</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt it is the rotor screws. That rotor is not gonna move with the wheel bolted on. Thye only keep the rotor in place while the wheel is off.

Try servicing the front brakes, that should make the noise go away.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:17 PM

the noise is coming from the rear passenger side. I heard some loud snaps when I was unjacking my car yesterday, but I think it was just the coilovers being compressed again.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:25 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: clicking noise when brakes are applied...help (MightyMouseTech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MightyMouseTech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I doubt it is the rotor screws. That rotor is not gonna move with the wheel bolted on. Thye only keep the rotor in place while the wheel is off.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is correct. The reason I suggested it is because there is a slight possibility the wheels may not be properly mounted in the correct sequence. With one lugnut holding more pressure than the other. This could cause quite a bit of distortion.

And I'm not trying to sell him rotor screws because at only 32 cents...
Old 03-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (msTEGGY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by msTEGGY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the noise is coming from the rear passenger side. I heard some loud snaps when I was unjacking my car yesterday, but I think it was just the coilovers being compressed again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

[sigh]

Then service the brake that IS making the noise.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:28 PM

LEN tell lance and them to stop giving u the wrong advice j/k
Old 03-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by len &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is correct. The reason I suggested it is because there is a slight possibility the wheels may not be properly mounted in the correct sequence. With one lugnut holding more pressure than the other. This could cause quite a bit of distortion.

And I'm not trying to sell him rotor screws because at only 32 cents... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice to see a fellow Honda guy here. I worked in a Honda parts dept. for many years before I decided to become a Honda Tech..

Someone to talk SR3/PT7/SK8/ST7 with
Old 03-26-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Re: clicking noise when brakes are applied...help (MightyMouseTech)

I dont suggest putting the car on stands for any anount of time. The suspension needs to remain under a load.. and you will put too much wear and pressure on the bushings/suspension/joints.

If you need to lift it up for long periods, remove the wheels.