Old 02-14-2005, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start

when i turn the key it kinda goes click thats it. is it the starter or battery
and if so wheres the starter located]
Old 02-14-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: car wont start (drptgsr)

Check the battery, it could be dead. If it checks out check out your wiring to the starter, and make sure the ground is clean and tightly attached. If everything checks out, take the starter out and bring it to a parts store and have it tested. Good luck with it.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car wont start (cnydc2)

if the car doesnt start, but the radio, headlights, etc. work, it couldnt be the battery right? so how would i fix this?
thanks in advance
Old 04-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: car wont start (teggysue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teggysue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the car doesnt start, but the radio, headlights, etc. work, it couldnt be the battery right? so how would i fix this?
thanks in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>

could be the starter itself. first check the battery with a multimeter and see what voltage are you getting.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car wont start (sleeperciv)

yeah..im not really sure if its the battery though. like all i did was spray the car with water, everything shut, hood, windows, etc. so im not sure if that could have affected the car not starting some how? and how would i fix the starter if it were the starter? its a 94 gsr, so its pretty old.
thanks in advance
Old 04-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teggysue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah..im not really sure if its the battery though. like all i did was spray the car with water, everything shut, hood, windows, etc. so im not sure if that could have affected the car not starting some how? and how would i fix the starter if it were the starter? its a 94 gsr, so its pretty old.

pull the starter out and using a 14 or 18 gauge wire connect one wire end to where the black/white wire goes to the starter solnoid(Can't miss it because it is the only single small wire going to it) and on the other end to the positive end of the battery. Just by touching the + side on the battery you should be able to see the starter start all by itself. Look to see that the starter teeth are turning and is coming out when you give the starter power. If nothing happens, your starter is bad. I've done to countless cars and trucks. Simple old school trick to see if the starter is working(Did this in my old hot rod and as a automotive tech)
Old 04-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im a really big noob to cars..where is the starter located? what does it look like? and how would i disconnect it?
thanks sleeperciv
Old 04-02-2005, 01:39 AM

Check the battery terminals. That should be number one on the list. Make sure they have a tight, clean connection, no build up etc.

"There are those people who learn things by observation, those by reading, and then there's that poor klutz who just has to go and pee on the electric fence"
Old 04-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car wont start (integraboy)

im sorry..ionno where the battery terminals or starter is..i need help pleaseeeee
Old 04-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teggysue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the car doesnt start, but the radio, headlights, etc. work, it couldnt be the battery right? so how would i fix this?

Not true at ALL. BAttery can have enough power to run radio and light, but not have enough cranking amps to power starter.

Try a jumpstart.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teggysue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im sorry..ionno where the battery terminals or starter is..i need help pleaseeeee</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's doesn't sound good, I sugguest you take it to a qualified technican. If you don't know what you're doing you could damage the car or injure yourself.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:10 AM

True. Yeah you better see a proper guy about this. I hold nothing against you at all about not knowing about it (hey I was like that once), but yeah I've had some pretty bad shocks from under the hood with electrical stuff, even knowing what I'm doing.
Good luck!

"There are those people who learn things by observation, those by reading, and then there's that poor klutz who just has to go and pee on the electric fence himself."
Old 04-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car wont start (integraboy)

ok..after trying to start it again, all i hear is one click around the driverside, and it doesnt do anything beyond having the regular lights on the cluster. need some help, thanks.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you say you tried to start again, did you jump start your car? Or just tried to start again evn though it's still clicking. Jumpstarting will at least bring your car alive. Keeping on trying to turn your engine over when it doesn't have the juice will result in the same thing. Eventually nothing will start up and you'll have to recharge the battery with either a jump start or a trickle battery charger.

If it doesn't then it is something else. If you don't know how to jump start I hope you have some friends to jumpstart your car. It is also located in your manual. Or invest in a personal jumper. It comes in real handy:

for about $70.00 from sears auto store.

I use it in the event I have battery problems.
-aoib0t, who things his battery problems are solved but will confirm in the evening.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car wont start (drptgsr)

It's the starter dude. Get it replaced and you should be fine. Jumping will not work if the starter's dead and motor won't crank.

We were in the same situation like 7 years ago in our 94 LS. Heh.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:06 AM

Default Re: car wont start (Super Glue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Super Glue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's the starter dude. Get it replaced and you should be fine. Jumping will not work if the starter's dead and motor won't crank.

We were in the same situation like 7 years ago in our 94 LS. Heh.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the starter is not getting enough voltage from the battery then you will never know if the starter is bad or not. The first thing is to make sure the battery has enough voltage and if not attempt to jump start it. Then if you definitely have good voltage and the car won't even turn over you can assume it is the starter.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car wont start (King Tut33)

lol ok..so i left the car unattended to for about 3 days..and i tried it again and it started up perfectly. could there still be a problem or can it cause problems in the future?
thanks
Old 04-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teggysue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol ok..so i left the car unattended to for about 3 days..and i tried it again and it started up perfectly. could there still be a problem or can it cause problems in the future?
thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

The problem will arise when you least expect. Unless you don't mind getting stranded. Get the starter replaced.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much does a starter usually go for? i have a 94 gsr and this guy is selling his from a 97 gsr for $25, if i buy this will it work? and i saw on an oem site selling one for $241..
Old 04-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car wont start (cnydc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnydc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the battery, it could be dead. If it checks out check out your wiring to the starter, and make sure the ground is clean and tightly attached. If everything checks out, take the starter out and bring it to a parts store and have it tested. Good luck with it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car wont start (b18a2705)

today my car did the same thing again (not start) , but then like 6 hours later it started again. problem is still the starter? i wasnt thinking it was the starter because once it is messed up it wouldnt be able to start no matter how long. so i dunno plz confirm this or suggest other problems.
thanks
Old 04-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this happened to me before..i jus cleaned up and tighten up the battery cables and no problem ever since