Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

car will not start and loud whining noise!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car will not start and loud whining noise!!

my wife was driving her integra home from school a few nights back and she was just about home and the car just cut off on her going down the road. she said she had the radio on but could hear what sounded like her running over a stick in the road and though no more of it. when she went to accelerate the car wouldnt go anywhere and she was forced to pull over. the car wouldnt crank and we had to have it towed home. now at home i assumed her battery was dead and possibly bad alternator so i used my eg battery to try and crank the car and it will click and very,very,very slowly try and turn over while making this awful noise that sounds like you have just stepped on a puppy. my friend thought that it may b out of trans fluid causeing it to lockup the trans but the trans is full of fluid. i checked the battery connections as well as starter connections. all good. i also checked all fuses. all good. everything works on the car it just will not crank. we just changed the oil in the car about 3 days before this happened. the car leaks oil on a regular basis and when we changed it there was only about a quart that drained out and it was black as hell and thin as water. we put a new oil filter on the car and used castrol gtx high milage 10w30. below is a video link so you can hear the sound and see how slow it turns. any help would be greatly appreciated by both her and myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYiMOCL0ks8
Old 05-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: car will not start and loud whining noise!!

try turning the engine manually, at the crank. there should be a little cut out at the drivers side fender liner. you'll need a 19mm socket, extension and ratchet.
it shouldn't be too difficult to turn by hand. if it is, the engine may be seized, or something is causing it to bind.
if it feels seized, what i'd probably do next is dump the oil in a clean container and have a good look at it. look for irregularities like metal shavings, metallic shimmer, metal debris
Old 05-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup i know what it is ...she done sucked up a squirrel in that bad boy...

nah but above seems right turn the crank.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/car-wont-start-start-here-2932820/
Old 05-08-2011, 10:19 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the chassis ground and the engine ground, should be the same cable, from batt. to chassis from chassis to engine.

Also try a bypass jump, unplug starter lead from starter motor and supply power directly to the terminal from either the batt. pos.(+) or the batt. cable on the starter motor.

MAKE SURE CAR IS NOT IN GEAR when doing bypass jump. 94
Old 05-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the replies guys. i will be trying all these throughout the week. ill let you know the outcome. id also like to add that the car is an automatic. dont know if i stated that in the first post. again thanks for the replies.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

im not the smartest guy but it sounds like the motor is seized! like either it spun a bearing from oil starvation or the timing belt sliped and bent valves too, but i could be wrong.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:20 AM
Trial User

My gues would be your timing belt had snapped while ur wife was driving since u said u had a severe oil leak (mostly on drive side due to a failing seal near the timing belt ) and that snap/ crack sound your wife heard ....how bout u remove the valve cover and take off the top cover and look at the timing belt and see if it is intack...while manually rotating the engine (10mm socket ) only tool u will need

Originally Posted by BettyWhiteEG
thanks for all the replies guys. i will be trying all these throughout the week. ill let you know the outcome. id also like to add that the car is an automatic. dont know if i stated that in the first post. again thanks for the replies.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by 95civicd15b7nds
My gues would be your timing belt had snapped while ur wife was driving since u said u had a severe oil leak (mostly on drive side due to a failing seal near the timing belt ) and that snap/ crack sound your wife heard ....how bout u remove the valve cover and take off the top cover and look at the timing belt and see if it is intack...while manually rotating the engine (10mm socket ) only tool u will need
Bro stop bumping old *** threads!