Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

car shakes when accelerating. can't pinpoint the problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car shakes when accelerating. can't pinpoint the problem

Hey everyone. I've done tons of research about this so please read the whole story and hopefully you can help me out.

I bought a 94 RS coupe 1 1/2 years ago. The craigslist ad claimed:

1994 acura integra rs
b18c5 block w/ 12:1 pistons
GSR head with CTR cams
LSD GSR trans

I admit that I rushed this purchase as I needed a car that day and did not think things through or check things out properly. The motor had even compression across all cylinders so I traded cash for the pink slip and left.

The car only had a slight shake during the test drive and the owner said it was due to a flat spot on one of the front tires. I didn't really believe this, but the shaking was so minor that I dismissed it as an un-balanced rim.

The shaking got worse and worse until the car was barely drivable so I took it to the shop and had the passenger side axle replaced. This helped a little but didn't solve the shaking 100%. I then got my license suspended for a year so the car just sat until this past February.

During the year of not driving I learned a couple things about the car.

1) There is no LSD in the transmission. This also lead me to doubt the pistons, cams, valvetrain, etc.. the 5 from the "B18C5" on the block even looked fake to me after that.

2) The car used to be an automatic

3) The car was missing the lower bracket/mount that connected from the subframe to the tranny. The lower bracket on the drivers side was worn out.

4) The innovative auto to manual conversion mount in the car looks like it slipped off of the bushing a little bit.

Now that I'm driving again, I've changed both axles, added the missing lower trans bracket and the car still shakes while accelerating. It does not shake if driving super slow, only gassing very lightly, and shifting before 3k rpm. It also doesn't shake when pushing the car to the limit (keeping in high revs. like driving some mountain roads or doing a brief pull on the freeway, etc). It only shakes in the in-between "normal" driving, applying normal throttle, between 2k-5k rpm.

I ordered a new Hasport auto to manual mount just in case this will fix it but I'm doubtful that it will and only ordered it to cover all my bases.

Any helpful feedback is extremely appreciated!

*side note*
I don't know what kind of throttle body I have, but it is missing the FITV and the motor does not idle on its own when cold. I have to hold the gas while warming it up. It drives fine once it gets a little warm and I drive off. This is just a little annoying compared to the shaking but I would also appreciate advice on the best way to fix this.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: car shakes when accelerating. can't pinpoint the problem

possibly the clutch. then again, could be a lot of things. but likely related to the transmission. it will probably need to be pulled regardless
Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also, inspect the wheel bearings and suspension before following through with more drastic measures
Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking that it may be the clutch or possibly the diff. or maybe all the tolerances inside the tranny are all messed up from all the shaky driving, but I was hoping that it wouldn't resort costly clutch or transmission work.

My mechanic said the wheel bearings are fine.

The car has BLOX coilovers that need to be replaced but I didn't think that this could possibly cause the shaking. I have them set at 75% stiff all around and the suspension is super soggy under hard cornering, especially during rapid transitions. This car isn't nearly as low as my previous cars but the tires rub during cornering where none of my previous cars did.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My car has a very faint shaking problem through one of the gears and only around 2k-4k or so. Anyways, point of the story, I had an issue with an axle install that I feel damaged the gear in the transmission. So if I had to take a poorly educated guess(on my part lol) I would say have someone look at the transmission. But, at the same time I have learned some repair places really will try to nickel and dime you as much as possible. So gotta watch for that too.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

How could an axle install damage any of the gears in the transmission? The axles inboard joint (or the halfshaft) goes into the center of the differential and never touches any of the gear sets or final drive gear.

OP damn man, sounds you got taken to the bank on that one. Unfortunately I can't really offer any help, as vibration under load in my experience has always been the CV axle inboard joints.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lets just say someone I thought knew what he was doing used a sledgehammer to get the axle in and ever since then I have had a faint vibration at the range I specified. It may be coincidence, but I don't know for sure.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

had a similiar prob, i needed all new tires and wheels rebalanced ...problem was solved
Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JdEmperor818
had a similiar prob, i needed all new tires and wheels rebalanced ...problem was solved
I bought 4 new tires and balanced all the rims
Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I shook the hell out of the motor this morning and there isn't any play at all in the mounts. Also visually inspected the mounts and they look good, no cracks or tears. weird
Old 05-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the car is slammed and has negative camber, then its the "camber shakes". Get a camber kit and this will solve the problem.

.. the 5 from the "B18C5" on the block even looked fake to me after that.
^^^FUNNY^^^