Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

car completely shut off. all power, not just the engine..then comes back on..

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 11:24 AM
dotmichael to you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car completely shut off. all power, not just the engine..then comes back on..

i was outside with my car waiting for it to warm up and it just shut off. i thought it was just the engine so i thought of all the things it could be..then the second time it happened i heard the fuel pump priming and the third time it happened i noticed all the interior lights went off on the car.

its like someone completely pulled the plug on the whole car. it happened once more when it was warmed up.

since then i've had it on over an hour and went on two short drives and it hasnt happened since. i'm scared to drive it farther than my neighborhood in fear of it just shutting off while i'm driving.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car completely shut off. all power, not just the engine..then comes back on.. (. M i c h a e l)

battery, or the connection on the terminals is all i can think of
Old 11-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car completely shut off. all power, not just the engine..then comes back on.. (dohcMONSTER)

Sounds like you have some serious electrical gremlins... probably stupid, but have you checked your alternator? Or you grounds, for that matter? Those two problems don't really fit in with your other over heating problem, though, but do you think they're related?
Old 11-20-2005, 11:48 AM
dotmichael to you

Default Re: car completely shut off. all power, not just the engine..then comes back on.. (mjc1055)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcMONSTER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">battery, or the connection on the terminals is all i can think of</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah the ends are kind of rotted and shitty..but there..i'll change them anyway.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mjc1055 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like you have some serious electrical gremlins... probably stupid, but have you checked your alternator? Or you grounds, for that matter? Those two problems don't really fit in with your other over heating problem, though, but do you think they're related?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm going to go to advanced auto and get the free alternator check up if they have it. anything i can do on my own though? at home.

my grounds are a bit old but there. the valve cover ground was off yesterday..and one of the loops is off.

the overheating problem has stopped..i posted back in the other thread about what's been done thus far.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: car completely shut off. all power, not just the engine..then comes back on.. (. M i c h a e l)

Check the ignition switch, mine went out all at once. I almost wrecked my car, cause my brakes got really weak, and my powersteering went out, and my whole car pretty much died. Turns out that is a famous problem amongst Hondas, especially Preludes.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: car completely shut off. all power, not just the engine..then comes back on.. (loudassVTEC)

battery connections are always the first thing to check, but the thing a lot of people overlook
Old 11-20-2005, 05:47 PM
dotmichael to you

Default Re: car completely shut off. all power, not just the engine..then comes back on.. (loudassVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSracing94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">battery connections are always the first thing to check, but the thing a lot of people overlook </TD></TR></TABLE>

actually it was the second thing i looked at..the first was my grounds.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by loudassVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the ignition switch, mine went out all at once. I almost wrecked my car, cause my brakes got really weak, and my powersteering went out, and my whole car pretty much died. Turns out that is a famous problem amongst Hondas, especially Preludes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and how would i go about checking that?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:15 PM

Jiggle the key when you are driving very slowly down a straight road with low traffic, and see if the car does anything. Or you could take it apart, and clean the contacts, and check the solder joints on the back of it. My solder joints had come loose, so I resoldered it back together, no problems for the last year and a half.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:38 AM

I had that happen to me before while driving..it was my battery cables were loose you should check them
Old 11-27-2005, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im pretty sure that its your ignition switch. i had the same thing happen to me several times. i took the ignition switch apart and sanded the terminals, and i havent had any trouble since.