Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car Bogs and Dies, Need HELP ASAP! Car Diagnostic Guru's Needed, Best of the Best

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Bogs and Dies, Need HELP ASAP! Car Diagnostic Guru's Needed, Best of the Best

Well I will first start by explaining how it happens and then asking what to do.
1st Situation:
On Thursday night I was going to drive from Germantown, MD to Elkton, MD. A 110 mile trip. I jumped on 270S merged onto 495 EAST and finally on to 95N towards NY.

When reaching about 15 miles into 95N we hit dead stop traffic coming from a 80 MPH cruise. We sit in traffic for maybe 45mins. All due to 2 left lanes bieng closed.

Once on our way back up to speed I start climbing normally never passing 3500 RPMS. In 5th gear climbing up to around 70 (@3000 RPMS) I felt a little kick I looked at the Tach and noticed my needle jumping from 2500-3000 and back and forth or so. I applied gas and the car did not accelerate but I heard the Intake come up and it was just dying. I pressed the clutch and returned to idle and it didnt stop. It died. Battery Light comes on. I put it in 4th merging into emergency lane. I turn off everything kind of thinking it was my Alt(gone bad) or Battery dead. I checked oil, antifreeze. Looked for smoke or any smells. Nothing at all.
My friend and I smoked a cigarette and he explained his old 95 EJ coupe did the same thing and it never turned back on and happened to be his dizzy.

I sit in the car, place key in the ON position and cranked and whala it turned on perfectly. I revved no jumps or anything perfect rev and perfect idle. I accelerated on and continued on my way.

(I had a dizzy problem 2 weeks ago, water in cylinder 3, and coil pack died. I changed coil pack and rotor and car started up perfectly)

Situation 2:

I arrived at my destination bought my parts and was on my way home. Around Elkton the roads are long straight highways. Very few lights. I am cruising at 75 MPH (3500ish RPM) and there is a light up ahead. Come to my complete stop.(Long light too, sat there for a 2 minutes completely still) I started accelerating 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear around 35-40 MPH (2200ish RPM) tach is jumping again I hold constant throttle and dont accelerate car is moving a little jerk in power or so but doesnt die. I go into the gas station and instantly turn it off. I pop the hood letting it cool down or something, smoke another cig. Friend buys a couple candy bars and comes back we eat and turn over the car and she idles perfectly. On my way home and arrive safely.

Situation 3:
On my way to my girlfriends house (44 miles). Down 270S, onto 495W towards 95S. Right before I get to 95S I was consistantly speeding at about 90-100MPH. At the one point I was doing 95MPH (4200-4500RPM) Cop sees me and guns me down with radar. I dont brake like other idiots I came down speeds gradually as he pulled out switched over 3 lanes and into the emergency lane. ( I did so because I inspected the left side and only an idiot would pull over on the left side too narrow). I pulled license and registration (I did not turn off my vehicle!)Spoke with the office he was glad I pulled over on the right I had eveything ready and I was honest about what I did. He lowered the speed from 95 to 74 in a 55.( For me getting caught speeding)LOL

I started acclerating no problem merged with traffic continued on my way about seconds later my car started jumping again and tach jumping also. I get on emergency lane once again turn off the car and quickly turn it back on but it was still jumping. I turned it off and sat there thinking. What is going on. I waited 4 minutes, started the car and it idled perfectly. Continued on my way. Made it to my girls house. I left last night around 11.

Situation 4:
On my way home I guess my 12k HIDs attracted a Scion TC. We played a little cat and mouse and I called it quits. Met up with a couple friends.

He has a Integra also with Intake/Exhaust. Mine is stock other than a Filter. I raced him before and it was all driver I guess. He just started about how he was going to lose but still wanted to run. I was like its a waste of gas. He was like I still want to run. We lined up. Clearly on the third beep all I can hear is wheel spin. I feathered the clutch at 3500RPMs and I noticed my rpm climbing and his lights falling. I had him by about a cars length at the end of 1st when I shifted to second I was up car and a half. Same distance all the way to 3rd. Once I was in 3rd my car did the same thing the tach was jumping and car stopped accelerating and he walked me bad.

I shut down and came to a stop. My battery light, oil light and cel came on while the car was dead. I tried turning it on and it turned over but then died. I started freaking out. I laid down and just thought about what the hell I was going to do if the car didnt start.

I waited a exactly 10 minutes and turned it on. She started up and ran perfect. I drove home calmly and here I am. Anyone any input.

I have a feeling its spark or fuel. I think it has something to do with the dizzy because the rpms jump. Not sure though could be sparkplugs but bad spark plugs equals misfire not dead motor. So that brings me to fuel related as it is out of gas. I use 89 octane from the same place I go to every time. So im thinking bad fuel pump, fuel filter, sparkplugs, spark plug wires (MSD 8MM) and finally dizzy. I havent changed anything except rotor, coil, and oil since I bought the car last month. I have driven it for about 2000 miles.

Sorry for long post. Thanks guys in advance.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Except for the last Situation if you notice the pattern. When I am driving at a constant speed and come to a dead stop and continue the car bogs out and dies! Some one help!
Old 06-03-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Car Bogs and Dies, Need HELP ASAP! Car Diagnostic Guru's Needed, Best of the Best (StreetRacinTh

First off, if you know your car has a problem with shutting down on you, then why are you making long road trips? Ok, I understand, it was to see your sweet honey, thats understandable. But, to then race your car when you know there is something wrong, than's just a bad precedent to set for yourself. You can do serious damage to your car that could of easily been avoided. Ok, enough preaching, on to a possible solution.

It sounds to me like an ignitor/coil problem. Many people think you should always replace the ignitor when you replace the coil. I think these parts can be tested. Notice how the problem usually exists when the car is hot, ie, idleing in traffic or racing. That would also lead me to believe it was in the distributor cause these parts can be heat sensitive once they are on their last leg. And another possibility is the main fuel relay. Also, make sure your engine and tranny grounds are clean and secure and might as well test the voltage output on your alternator.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:52 PM

Agreed with the above. Check that cap and coil!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I didnt suspect the problem to continue. I thought it went away because I drive to work and school and errands all around. 25 minute drive is no diffrent for my sweet heart. Racing I do understand that was idiotic. I doubt it is the alternator. I have Alternator problems before and know the common effects and so. Loss of power regaining power at high rpms, etc etc. My gut is telling me fuel related or spark related.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 06-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Hype-R Stalker

Default Re: (StreetRacinThug)

So instead of bumping, have you actually done any of the things suspected?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its no point to just take one opinion and go spend money on new cap and coil when the coil is brand new. It would be moronic to just jump to conclusions and just by things. Kind of like saying "Oh guys my car blows smoke and burning oil what can it be?" And my responses are "Change your pistons and ring!"
I go ahead spend money and do it. "I did guys still have the same problem!"
Response "Are you sure your doing it right"
I go to find out it turns out to be the Valve seals. King of moronic if you ask me. I am not jumping on the first thing that comes to peoples mind when they are telling me things that have nothing to do with the problem like checking voltage for alternator. Its obvious its not that type of problem. I had this problem a couple months ago when I asked on here on HT my car wont start was running fine.

"Its your dizzy"
"Tune up"
"Hydrolock"
"Cap and Rotor"
"Main Relay"
"Fuel Pump"
"Spark Plugs"
"Firing Order"
"ECU"

You can say some of these are very good answer. I basically replaced Dizzy(150)Cap and Rotor(42)SparkPlugs IX(43)Main Relay(15)
2 Weeks with headache = Timing was off by a tooth
Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So BUMP TTMFT!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Hype-R Stalker

Default Re: (StreetRacinThug)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StreetRacinThug &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its no point to just take one opinion and go spend money on new cap and coil when the coil is brand new. It would be moronic to just jump to conclusions and just by things. Kind of like saying "Oh guys my car blows smoke and burning oil what can it be?" And my responses are "Change your pistons and ring!"
I go ahead spend money and do it. "I did guys still have the same problem!"
Response "Are you sure your doing it right"
I go to find out it turns out to be the Valve seals. King of moronic if you ask me. I am not jumping on the first thing that comes to peoples mind when they are telling me things that have nothing to do with the problem like checking voltage for alternator. Its obvious its not that type of problem. I had this problem a couple months ago when I asked on here on HT my car wont start was running fine.

"Its your dizzy"
"Tune up"
"Hydrolock"
"Cap and Rotor"
"Main Relay"
"Fuel Pump"
"Spark Plugs"
"Firing Order"
"ECU"

You can say some of these are very good answer. I basically replaced Dizzy(150)Cap and Rotor(42)SparkPlugs IX(43)Main Relay(15)
2 Weeks with headache = Timing was off by a tooth </TD></TR></TABLE>

And usually, the best person to work on the car, is the one that deals with it everyday.

Have you checked Everything over? maybe even done a comp test?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: (CleanLikeJdm)

mines doing the same thing, but more often, it threw a cel and it turned out to be the map sensor code. i tried a new map sensor, same symptoms. its in the shop right now getting a new starter put in and i told them to figure out what it was, so when i get an answer ill let ya know and maybe it will help ya out.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove it today to school, home, back to school, work home, errands. It runs perfectly fine. Im trying to think I dont get it.