Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

cant shift using clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant shift using clutch

The other day i was driving when i tried to leave after making a stop (normally, not launching) and i couldnt shift into gear. The car just wouldnt shift into ANY gear. I dont know what happened but then it was suddenly fine. About 1 minute later, as i tried driving up the onramp to drive on the freeway it did it again. I couldnt shift into 2nd when i tried. I experimented with other gears and none went in. What i did was just match rpm's and shifted w/o the clutch until i got home. When i reached a light i had to turn the car off and put it in 1st gear. Once it was time to go i turned the car on and it would bounce forward since the clutch would slip while the pedal was being pressed.

Now the other things i noticed so i can try to explain the problem as much as possible are:

When i press the clutch pedal down, it won't completely disengage. The clutch slips and the car pulls forward instead of just "revving" (if i accelerate). When completely engaged however, it doesn't slip.

Also the clutch pedal feels like it stays stiff all the way to the floor, whereas before it seemed normal. It's hard to explain this part but it just feels a little different.

I tried pumping the pedal and it still does the same thing. I thought maybe it needed to be bled, but i don't think thats it (judging by the result of pumping the pedal).

Its full of fluid so im lost as to what it might be. Im guessing the throwout bearing went out, but i don't hear any noise coming from the tranny at any time. No noise while its moving in gear or in neutral (with clutch engaged or "disengaged") and no noise when it's stopped with the clutch engaged oe disengaged.

Any ideas before i take the tranny out and start ordering a new clutch. I don't know if its the original clutch in there right now since i bought it used (i think it might be since the car was used for long distance drives most of the time). The car has about 125k miles right now.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be a shitty slave or master cylinder for the clutch.