Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Can someone explain the legal issues of Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 05:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain the legal issues of Nitrous?

First of all, I'm not running out to get the funny stuff just because I saw the Fast & the Furious...the movie just brought out some curiousity.

But anyway, what are the legal issues w/ nitrous? Is it legal to use on the street? Is it legal to have the bottle on the street even if its off? What about emissions (especially in NJ)? Also, are there any other parts I'm forgeting about?

Thanks.
Matt
Old 06-24-2001, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can someone explain the legal issues of Nitrous? (00SilverLS)

It's only legal to use if you're on a race track. As for emissions, just don't squeeze when you're going to get a smog check! And naturally you're gonna have to run more fuel for your setup if you're gonna put your car on the bottle.
Old 06-24-2001, 10:24 PM
New User

Default Re: Can someone explain the legal issues of Nitrous? (In7egrity)

i'ver wondered the same things. i don't understand why its illegal. isnt it just like some other form of FI? what is so special about it that makes it illegal?
Old 06-24-2001, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can someone explain the legal issues of Nitrous? (00SilverLS)

Nitrous in an accident could be potentially dangerous to everyone in the area of the impact...
Not to mention that if that explosion occurs under a bridge or in a tunnel....BAD news!!!!
Old 06-24-2001, 11:16 PM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: Can someone explain the legal issues of Nitrous? (newgsrdriver)

Two words -

Hazzardous (spelling?)

Materials

In otherwords, you have a 10# bottle pressurized to 1600PSI in your trunk, IF you get hit from behind wrong (what's right anyways) the bottle could get ruptured, thus exploding and possibly killing you and anyone within 50 feet.

I don't remember the location, but somewhere on the web are pics of a Maxima that had terminal bottle pressure that basically blew the rear end off the car in the garage.

If anyone still has that link, please post it.
Old 06-24-2001, 11:54 PM
New User

Default Re: Can someone explain the legal issues of Nitrous? (Aj.)

I agree it's very illegal in MD, i got busted at the street races at METRO that's an area we go to for late nite races and the cops came sooo damn fast i forgot to cover up my bottle and BAMM i got cornered off and my whole car was searched and i got a fat *** ticket for having it $800 for just NOS and another repair order for every ******* damn thing on and in my car, STRAIGHT BULL ****, but i do agree it's scary as **** i always have it unhooked when i drive or i leave it at home cause i'll get scared as **** if someone hit me from the back. SAFETY FIRST!!!
Old 06-25-2001, 01:28 AM
New User

Default Re: Can someone explain the legal issues of Nitrous? (TeginRAGE)

I agree it's very illegal in MD, i got busted at the street races at METRO that's an area we go to for late nite races and the cops came sooo damn fast i forgot to cover up my bottle and BAMM i got cornered off and my whole car was searched and i got a fat *** ticket for having it $800 for just NOS and another repair order for every ******* damn thing on and in my car, STRAIGHT BULL ****, but i do agree it's scary as **** i always have it unhooked when i drive or i leave it at home cause i'll get scared as **** if someone hit me from the back. SAFETY FIRST!!!
even if its unhooked couldnt the bottle be burst if someone hits you ?
Old 06-25-2001, 02:00 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Can someone explain the legal issues of Nitrous? (jdmlust)

hooked or unhooked.. impact willl blow that sucker
thus nos is too risky.. for your engine and to people
Old 06-25-2001, 07:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Can someone explain the legal issues of Nitrous? (RS94)

It's a pressureized gas and is suceptable just like the maxima, to one big *** explosion. It's not gonna give you flames and stuff like a gas explosion but the force with the bottle's metal will be enough to kill or maime a few people...

it's just plain illegal, but most of the time unless your caught racing they let you alone.. even if they see the bottle..
Old 06-25-2001, 12:06 PM
New User

Default Re: Can someone explain the legal issues of Nitrous? (RS94)

hooked or unhooked.. impact willl blow that sucker
thus nos is too risky.. for your engine and to people
WTF........ NOS= Nitrous oxide Systems N20= Nitrous oxide impact will blow that sucker huh are you people aware that All Newer Nitrous bottles are equipped with a pressure relief valve and if the bottle goes above 1200psi it pops off and begin's relieving pressure. Also N20 is not dangerous to Engines if used properly it is idiot's like you that would probably hook it up wrong and blow his motor and then go around telling everyone that N20 is sooooooo bad and never to use it. If you get rearended hard enough for the car to come in contact with the bottle you are pretty much screwed and you can kiss your *** goodbuy. N20 is not flammable it is combustable if it is mixed with say gasoline it will help the gas to burn hotter and faster but by itself it will give you one hell of a headache. yes N20 is illegal to use on the street, but mostly because of the backfire (read blowing manifold off of engine) risk and the fact that triggering N20 in traffic with a sudden 50+ hp gain is probably not a good idea. it is not illegal to have N20 on your car it is illegal to have the bottle open and to be firing it.