Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Brake squeal problem 01 GSR

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake squeal problem 01 GSR

A couple months ago i put new pads/rotors on all 4 corners. After a week or so i started to get a high hitch squeak coming from the drivers side front. Thought maybe the pad didn't seat correctly or something, so i exchanged that side pads/rotor for new. Everything was fine until about a week later and the squeaking came back, and seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

At this point i'm fed up. What the hell could be going on? Is it possible a bad caliper would cause this? (although it's not froze up or anything)

BTW..brake stuff came from napa...whatever cheap blanks with ceramic pads.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Brake squeal problem 01 GSR

try better pads...those cheap pads are known to suck
Old 09-26-2009, 01:27 PM

Try checking the shims, they might be rubbing with the pads.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
try better pads...those cheap pads are known to suck
I highly doubt it's the pads since it's only squeaking from the left front and it's done it with two separate sets of pads.

I've had no problems with shitty valuecraft pads in the past, and these are definitely nicer than those.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when installing the new pads you need to be sure that they are indeed seated correctly into the shims as ek-g6 stated. The shims are located on the pad mounting bracket and are small metal clips. They are somewhat flimsy little metal clips and are used to hold the pads in place .. so if your shims go bad or get bent out of shape they could easily by rubbing your new rotor since the new rotor is fatter (increased thickness) than the old one.

If that isn't the problem you might need to look into you wheel bearings as the culprit.. lets hope its the little metal clip
Old 09-26-2009, 05:41 PM

Shims are brand new and came firmly affixed to the new pad, so i doubt it's that (again, it would have had to happen with two separate brand new pads). Also, it didn't start again until a few days after the new pads/rotor were installed. Right after i put them on it was completely quiet.

Besides the fact i replaced the wheel bearings 1k miles ago, i don't see how it could be that. It happens only when i softly depress the brakes. Under hard braking, there is no squeak.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not referring to the anti-squeal / warning shims attached to the pad itself. I am referring to the clip that retains the pad to the inner part of the caliper / out surface of the rotor
Old 09-26-2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Zappythebum
I am not referring to the anti-squeal / warning shims attached to the pad itself. I am referring to the clip that retains the pad to the inner part of the caliper / out surface of the rotor

There's no warning "shim" on brake pads. There is a shim, which is on the back of the pad, and a metal wear indicator that squeaks when the pad gets worn down. The clip that holds the pad in the caliper is called "brake caliper hardware". I checked that in the previously and there was no problem, but i guess it would be worth another look.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see, well then if your brake caliper hardware is fine and you've checked it already then i would look into checking your wheel bearings next. I have recently had this seemingly exact problem that you have now but i fixed the problem with new rotors and pads, my pads were very very low and the metal warning pads were squealing under normal driving conditions but would stop while braking. But i did some research and some people on the Acura forums seem to think it could have been wheel bearing related if it wasn't the pads. Here's a link if you want to read about it: http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f58...driving-70575/
See if that piece of reading helps you out at all. LMK goodluck with the fix
Old 09-27-2009, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you put the anti-squeal backwards? just a thought.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Zappythebum
I see, well then if your brake caliper hardware is fine and you've checked it already then i would look into checking your wheel bearings next. I have recently had this seemingly exact problem that you have now but i fixed the problem with new rotors and pads, my pads were very very low and the metal warning pads were squealing under normal driving conditions but would stop while braking. But i did some research and some people on the Acura forums seem to think it could have been wheel bearing related if it wasn't the pads. Here's a link if you want to read about it: http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f58...driving-70575/
See if that piece of reading helps you out at all. LMK goodluck with the fix
Thanks for the link, but again, i replaced both front wheel bearings 1k miles ago. I'm positive it's a brake related component.

Basically i'm just wondering if this could be an indication of a bad caliper. I know usually when they go bad they freeze up, but given the circumstances and what i have replaced, it's about the only thing left.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at this point your guess is much more accurate than mine, if you replaced the wheel bearings then i got nothing else but to agree with you that it could easily be a bad caliper or brake component causing this issue.

wish you luck man
Old 09-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like its due to just cheap brake pads and rotors, i get the consistently on all of my parents cars when they use the cheap brake parts from advance