Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

blown piston ring.... new engine or r/r ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown piston ring.... new engine or r/r ?

so i find out that my b18b has shot rings due to running rich.
it was stupid of me not to get the car tuned which i was planning on doing.
anyways now that i got the money to do it, compression ratio was horrible and found that my rings are shot from wet test.
now im in a situation if i should replace the piston rings or to replace the engine.....
i have 98 ls with greddy 18g kit on it.
i was thinking about replacing the engine because long block will run roughly 700 or so...
however replacing the rings and getting some new seals will cost as much.
so im in need of advice... what would most of you guys do?
engine has 150k on it and if i were to replace the rings, i want to replace the head gasket, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, front crank seal, arp head stud, rot bolt and the rod bearing.
replacing engine and replacing those parts from my engine will run roughly about the same so give me some advice on which sounds better to do~~~
Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blown piston ring.... new engine or r/r ?

rebuild it if you have the time. should take less than 9hrs after you get the block back from the machinist.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

chances are your walls are in pretty bad shape too. you might be able to get by with a hone, but you might end up needing to overbore.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmmmmm this is the first time having this kind of issues so dont know exactly what to do..... if i do take it to the machinest then do i get it resleeved or honed or what do i do? plus i dont think they would be a lot of machinest around here in md......
please give me some more input and prices of labor from machinest or parts.... ty
Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

write it all out and then price the jdm engines. many times they offer a good value for a direct replacement. if you do a rebuild think out your goals before you start. the last i checked. a complete JDM LS engine was $700, you get a new dizzy, sensors etc. by the time your start adding up parts you're rebuild will run more unless you do all the work yourself. then you just have parts and machine work. if you have all the tools and the skills, it's a better idea. if you don't, well, JDM YO
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just ran into the same problem but im rebuild the whole thing its in the machine shop now the motor was bone stock pretty much and its turboed so i figured i would go ahead and get it built right so you should rebuild it that way you know its more reliable
Old 07-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i will be doing all the work myself.... prob just need to get feeler gauge and ring compressor which isnt all that much. but basically my goal is to make it pretty reliable since its dd or at least to last about 3 mroe years til i get k or c5 engines....
dwizzy what are you getting done to your engine? what are you getting done at the machine shop? can you provide me with more details please~~~~

above all basically i just wanted to know which way will be more reliable since price of each will about equal out.... on top of it if i were to get jdm engines from online its probably better to get seals and belts replaced before i put it in the engine which will maybe sligtly cost more than getting it rebuild.....
more advices please im trying to gather some thoguhts up and trying to start soon~~~
ty
Old 07-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwizzy
i just ran into the same problem but im rebuild the whole thing its in the machine shop now the motor was bone stock pretty much and its turboed so i figured i would go ahead and get it built right so you should rebuild it that way you know its more reliable
this is how i would go. ARP rod bolts & balance the bottom end. with decent bearing clearances you can run 7psi all day on a stockish LS. people do push them higher but how long they live is another story. for $50 i would totally buy the arp rod bolts though, everything else can stay oem honda if you're on a budget

it's really only when someone doesn't have the experience that jdm engines become a better route. if you had to pay $75hr to assemble a motor and do every little step the jdm engine is a better price. even then, you always should change the timing belt and inspect the rest for leaky seals. most are in pretty good shape though. i have a 1997 jdm itr engine and only changed the timing belt and valve cover gasket, the rest were fine
Old 08-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

more advices please~
Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so this is i guess what im planning on doing.
get OEM head gasket, OEM timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, front and rear crank seal, arp rod bolt and head studs and oem rings. also rod bearings but i dont know if oem or what company. also i guess im going to take it to a machinest but what does the block need to be done when i take it to machinest?
also is there anything missing or recommend while im R/R the piston rings?
please post some more info please i think im gonna start ordering parts and take the block out....
also do i need to worry about using oversized piston and rings? someone mentioned it before but im on a budget here so.....
Old 08-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replied to your PM. hit me up if u still want those rings.