Print Wikipost

Blinking oil light

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Blinking oil light

Hello,
I have a 96' Acura Integra LS. I just replaced my valve cover and took off my intake manifold and everything. I hooked everything back up and got my car running for the first time since october, i stored her for the winter.. So I was driving my car all night last night & all day today. Until about 6pm today, i was at a buddys house just letting my car idle and I went to get in and drive home, my oil light was blinking on my dash. I quickly turned my car off and checked my oil. It was perfectly clean and at fill level. I got back in my car and started right up with no oil light on. I drove off back toward my garage which is about 5-7 miles away. about half way there my oil light came on and was steady, when i would give it throttle it would blink real fast, then i let off and it would stop blinking and stay steady. I turned it off while coasting down a hill half way to my garage, turned it on and resumed driving. I get another 3 miles and the oil light comes on and does the same thing. I stop at the first stop light in town, about 4 blocks away now from my garage. The car Stalls out at the light. I start it right up and it idles a little rough but noo ticking. i drive a block to the next light and it stalls, i start it right up and it idles even rougher with minor ticking. I go to the next block to make a left to my garage and it stalls out. Now all this time my oil light was flashing. I believe thats for low oil pressure? I would think considering im full on oil. I get it into my garage and get out with it running. It is running very rough and it is almost sqeaking or a light belt type of squeeling. But not ticking very loud.

Please help me out if you know anything about what this could be. I was told by a few of my friends it might be the oil pump, which came to my head also first when the light was flashing. I have never had any oil pressure problems with any cars, civics, integras, or eclipses. I am so lost! I really hope i didnt screw something up. Also my car sat for the last 4 monthes, with the valve cover off bc i was planning on doing LSVtec but cancelled the project and kept it stock. Please give me any advice you have... THANK YOU !!!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP HELP HELP! OIL LIGHT IS BLINKING !!!!

my guess would be oil pump, if the light was just blinking with no symptoms to the car i'd say oil pressure sensor, but as of now i'd check your oil pump asap
Old 03-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats what i was thinking but not sure. How can you check, also do you have to take off your entire head to replace your oil pump or just the timing belt.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump more Answers PLEASE !!!!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at the dashboard when you slow down and when you take off. If the "check oil pressure" light appears when you are stopped and disappears when you begin moving, this is a sign that your oil pump is having problems.

Step 2Pop open your hood and remove your oil dipstick to check your oil. If your oil measures low on your dipstick, there may be a crack in your oil pump, debris stuck in the pump, or some other problem with your oil pump.

Step 3Listen carefully for any noises coming from your engine, such as a rattling or whining noise. A bad oil pump will cause the engine to lose oil pressure and become damaged.

Step 4Park your car and look underneath. If there is a large amount of oil on the ground, the oil pump has gone out.

Step 5Take your car to a mechanic, who will have to remove your oil pump and disassemble it. Reassembling the oil pump and putting it back in your car is the only way to know for sure that your oil pump is the culprit of your car problems.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks I know for sure im not leaking oil and it is making whining noises. I am scared to even start it again...
Old 03-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you ever need to replace your oil pump on your 96-up B-series engine, you might as well replace it with an USDM Integra Type-R unit. Integra Type-R oil pumps come complete with the front main seal. These oil pumps are perfect for LS/VTEC or B20/VTEC or any rebuild setups. The USDM Integra Type-R Oil Pump will bolt-up to any 96-up B-series motor. You can use these on 90-95 B-series engines as well, but will have to change the lower timing cover to a newer OBD2 (96-up) B-series lower timing cover, due to the provision on the oil pump for the crank angle sensor, found on all 96-up Honda engines
Old 03-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea if i need to replace. you think it can just be my oil sending unit?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE - Just checked my oil pressure switch and tightened the connector, started it up and the knocking went away and oil light was off + was running smooth. Dropped the jack, test drove it about 2 miles and the oil light came back on and started Flashing. I quickly turned around and made it back my garage driving at low rpms. It stalled as soon as i stopped at my garage. Started it back up quick and it was knocking again and oil light was flashing. Do you think i have a bad oil pressure switch and/or connector for oil pressure switch ? This is freaking me out. I dont want to blow my motor up.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HEEELLLPPPPP!!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

change ur oilpump
Old 03-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blinking oil light

my integra has been sqeaking 2 but only after i get up till 20mph it will start and my car has been burning oil i wonder if i have the same problem as you?
Old 03-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car doesnt burn oil. It just has no oil pressure. Im replacing the oil pressure valve tomorrow and the clip that attatches to the sensor. If that doesnt fix it im replacing the oil pump with a type r oil pump and adding a oil pressure gauge...
Old 03-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update --- Just ordered a brand new Type R Oil Pump for my motor, Should be getting it installed next week.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you installing it yourself or a mechanic doing it for you?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Blinking oil light

Mechanic, Im trying to get some prices for an install, You know how much it usually costs to install a new oil pump???
Old 03-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have no idea i was wondering the same thing
Old 04-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE : --- CRACKED CRANK SHAFT ! Motor is Shot Due to Oil Starvation ! Doing a B20 Full Engine Swap within the next month. Sucks *** ! B18A1 Bottom End = GARBAGE!!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI/FACT on the Oil Pump when ordering it or if someone says that the Type R oil pump is the best oil pump to use, I laugh because its the same oil pump (15100-P72-A01) as an LS/GSR/CRV/Type R.
So that is false information, and dont let someone try to sell one to you for more because of the word Type R. Its the same Pump.(96^)

Source I work at Acura in the Parts department.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Naz04ryan
UPDATE : --- CRACKED CRANK SHAFT ! Motor is Shot Due to Oil Starvation ! Doing a B20 Full Engine Swap within the next month. Sucks *** ! B18A1 Bottom End = GARBAGE!!!!
Damn too bad you kept driving it over and over again, probably could have been saved if you just shut it off the first time.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Naz04ryan
Sorry to dredge this one up but it was just too much. First, b18a1 bottom end is pretty high quality and relatively tough. That is a forged steel crank buddy! I hope you just meant that YOUR bottom end is now garbage, not b18a1's in general. That squealing sound? The fact that there was so much friction the car could barely idle and would stall? That's metal on metal! Not enough lubrication. If you hadn't kept driving it this wouldn't have happened.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no **** obviously he knows that now. bump a thread thats over 2 months old just to say something stupid
Old 07-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^Okay guy.

As a loyal Honda customer i feel the need to defend the product. Should anyone else visit this thread i want to make absolutely clear that this failure was not because the b18a1 was assembled with inferior parts. Maybe the OP wasn't saying it was in the first place, it is unclear to me. Bottom line, it needed to be clarified.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its pretty obvious what he means.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

from my 92 LS owners manu, When there is a severe fluctuation in oil pressure it will cause this light to blink on/ and off.

Quick Reply: Blinking oil light