Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Blew 4 tires in a month on a gsr...NEED HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blew 4 tires in a month on a gsr...NEED HELP...

Hey HT
Iwe been going trough tires like a madman.

My car is a 97 gsr that is lowered on 17s with 205 40r 17 tires
I blew two brand new kuhmo ecsta tires in less then 2 weeks. Then a falken ziex tire that i put on to replace the blown kuhmo tire. This is all hapening on the front tires. The rear tires all all good.
Im tinking that mi car is droped way to much and when i take a hard corner it just puts to much load/force on the inside of the tire and they go out.
Here are some pics of what i am talking about.
The Falken tire
The kuhmo tire
The kuhmo tire
Sorry for the cell pone pics. Its all that i have to take pics with.
If you guys need a pic of how low my car is
Tell me

Thanks

Last edited by igorka_91; 07-21-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blew 4 tires in a month on a gsr...NEED HELP...

pic of car? and it be the camber or toe being off, i blew a tire in like 2 weeks when my camber and toe were off.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 PM

lets see your car!!!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is your car aligned?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

under inflated or WAY out of alignment. if you did something stupid like slam your car and not correct for it. that's probably a BIG part of it
Old 07-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pictures of the tread too would help
Old 07-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like rubbing on the inside. How low is the car. I hope you got an alignment but looks like you didnt or its way too low.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:47 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Yup, looks like something is rubbing on your tires. This could be caused by any number of things: lowering the car too much, using wheels with the wrong offset, bent suspension components, etc. Alignment by itself probably isn't the cause, but any time you change your car's ride height, you need an alignment. And no, it's not caused by the amount of cornering force on your tires. (Although it's possible that the tires are only rubbing when they are cornering, and rubbing IS the cause.)

The tire size (205/40-17) should work so that isn't the cause, as long as your wheels are the proper width for that tire size (7.0-8.0 inches wide). If your wheels are narrower or wider than that, that can cause tire failure also.

Improper tire pressure can also cause tire failure, but it has to be off by a LOT (like 10 psi less than, or more than, the recommended pressures of 35F/33R measured cold).

Last edited by nsxtasy; 07-21-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wheels are to big.....
Old 07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Reject Papi

damn dude. lift that up a little bit and see what the camber looks like then.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by thabao
Wheels are to big.....
WRONG. 17" wheels (17x7, 17x7.5, or 17x8) with 205/40-17 tires do NOT cause tire failure.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxtasy
WRONG. 17" wheels (17x7, 17x7.5, or 17x8) with 205/40-17 tires do NOT cause tire failure.
I'm just saying but yeah, your offset and alignment are probably your issues.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JonMaltese/LScivic
lets see your car!!!!!
As asked
Heres a pic of mi car
Old 07-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by idrivesideways
under inflated or WAY out of alignment. if you did something stupid like slam your car and not correct for it. that's probably a BIG part of it
I know mi alignment is of because it puls to the right a good amount because i hit a curb about 2 months ago and havent had the time/money to go gett it aligned. Right now im in the proces of swaping in the oem springs back on the shoks. But i mesed up the springs and tought that the shorter springs go in the front so my car is even more slamed in the front. Like the rim almost is under the fender..Stopid me
Old 07-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, looks like something is rubbing on your tires. This could be caused by any number of things: lowering the car too much, using wheels with the wrong offset, bent suspension components, etc. Alignment by itself probably isn't the cause, but any time you change your car's ride height, you need an alignment. And no, it's not caused by the amount of cornering force on your tires. (Although it's possible that the tires are only rubbing when they are cornering, and rubbing IS the cause.)

The tire size (205/40-17) should work so that isn't the cause, as long as your wheels are the proper width for that tire size (7.0-8.0 inches wide). If your wheels are narrower or wider than that, that can cause tire failure also.

Improper tire pressure can also cause tire failure, but it has to be off by a LOT (like 10 psi less than, or more than, the recommended pressures of 35F/33R measured cold).
I had mines set at 38 in the front wen i had the falken tire on and it blew ...?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:58 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by igorka_91
I had mines set at 38 in the front wen i had the falken tire on and it blew ...?
Measured cold, 38 is a bit on the high side (for my taste, anyway), but would not cause tire failure.

I know mi alignment is of because it puls to the right a good amount because i hit a curb about 2 months ago and havent had the time/money to go gett it aligned. Right now im in the proces of swaping in the oem springs back on the shoks. But i mesed up the springs and tought that the shorter springs go in the front so my car is even more slamed in the front. Like the rim almost is under the fender..Stopid me
Well, that's why your tires are failing. Something in your suspension is messed up, and your tires are going to keep failing until you fix it - so it's going to be a lot cheaper for you if you get the suspension fixed, since you won't have to keep replacing the tires.

Also, an alignment may not be the only thing you need. When you hit that curb, it's possible you did damage beyond just the alignment settings; for example, you may have bent a control arm or other component(s). You need to get the car up on a lift, and someone who's really knowledgeable about suspensions needs to take a good look at all the components to see if any are damaged. AND get the car aligned properly too. Oh, and you should also take a good look at the wheels, and put them on a balancing machine; it's possible that one or more of them got bent in some way and are no longer true (perfectly round).
Old 07-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Measured cold, 38 is a bit on the high side (for my taste, anyway), but would not cause tire failure.

Well, that's why your tires are failing. Something in your suspension is messed up, and your tires are going to keep failing until you fix it - so it's going to be a lot cheaper for you if you get the suspension fixed, since you won't have to keep replacing the tires.

Also, an alignment may not be the only thing you need. When you hit that curb, it's possible you did damage beyond just the alignment settings; for example, you may have bent a control arm or other component(s). You need to get the car up on a lift, and someone who's really knowledgeable about suspensions needs to take a good look at all the components to see if any are damaged. AND get the car aligned properly too. Oh, and you should also take a good look at the wheels, and put them on a balancing machine; it's possible that one or more of them got bent in some way and are no longer true (perfectly round).
I replaced the LCA as sonn as i hit the curb.
Money is being an isue right now and im not driving the car that much til next month when i will have $. Meanwile im in the proces of puting the stock springs on the car. Kinda tired of not being able to go to places on a lowered car.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

guy down the street hit a curb, bent the control arm. that prelude will eat a new tire in 5000 miles or so. bent the lower arm and the subframe it mounts to. you really should listen to nsx here and inspect the damage done. not only will your car perform better when fixed but even $60 a tire for something halfway okay and cheap like federal 595s will cost you more in a year than fixing it will.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced the LCA as sonn as i hit the curb.
Money is being an isue right now and im not driving the car that much til next month when i will have $. Meanwile im in the proces of puting the stock springs on the car. Kinda tired of not being able to go to places on a lowered car.

ahh.... putting on stock springs..... . takes me about hour and half to do the fronts and about 45 mins to do the rear. all of this with out a spring compressor too.

on another note, if you want a lowered look, go and ask one of the type-r guys if you can buy there old oem springs. will drop your car about and inch, and it's type-r stock.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you getting free replacement tires from the shop?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90_EX_Civic
ahh.... putting on stock springs..... . takes me about hour and half to do the fronts and about 45 mins to do the rear. all of this with out a spring compressor too.

on another note, if you want a lowered look, go and ask one of the type-r guys if you can buy there old oem springs. will drop your car about and inch, and it's type-r stock.
lol that hella long
It took me no more then 45 minutes to put them on 4 days ago when i accidentaly put on the reaer ones in the front. Using my rim as a spring compresor to compres the spring
Nah im done with lowered cars. I want a stock ride heigh car so i can go places that i usualy couldnt go like up to the mountains or when i go snowboarding in the winter.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE
are you getting free replacement tires from the shop?
No
I got the falkens for 10$ a tire of of CL and the kuhmos for 50 for 4 brand new tires.
Good deals
Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by idrivesideways
guy down the street hit a curb, bent the control arm. that prelude will eat a new tire in 5000 miles or so. bent the lower arm and the subframe it mounts to. you really should listen to nsx here and inspect the damage done. not only will your car perform better when fixed but even $60 a tire for something halfway okay and cheap like federal 595s will cost you more in a year than fixing it will.
It will get fixed once i hit the alignment shop and what ever they tell me will be geting fixed or pulled out that i bent when i hit the curb.

I hit the curb more then 2 months ago.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same happened to my sol that i slammed but mine blew cus the little bracket that holds the fender was grinding on the tire and blew 2 tires at once hahaha made it to the mall and back then booom booom hahaha