Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Bad Distributor Oil Leak

Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Distributor Oil Leak

Ok guys I have a huge problem with my GSR head. I have a OBD2 GSR head with a OBD1 distributor. I have had a massive oil leak since I put the engine together right under the dizzy and all over the trans. So bad that when I drive around the block, my trans gets completely drenched. I have verified that the cam seal is not leaking, vtec solenoid gasket is not leaking and all the coolant telp sensors and hoses are tight. I watched the oil drip off the bottom of the dizzy after I shut the car down. I have tired to RTV around the head where the dizzy meets it, a brand new o-ring and even tried using gasket paper to make a gasket. All failed and I still have a massive leak. I want to kno if anyone else has had a similar problem and how they fixed it. I've searhed for a solution but seems no one has ever had as hard a time getting a dizzy to seal to the head as me.

Thanks all
Old 08-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

new distributor o-ring. easy fix. just mark you dist where it bolts to the head cause it need to be exact theres a lil circle just mark a line across it
Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 AM

Default Re: (jdmer329)

Already replaced the o ring.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: Bad Distributor Oil Leak (Spoolind16)

If its not the o-ring and the distributor is still leaking, its a faulty head or distributor. Maybe the distributor shaft is just a hair too small.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad Distributor Oil Leak (neardon)

Did you put RTV on the cam caps that hold down the cam seal and distributor mounting "bracket" when you built the motor?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I think I got the same problem coming from the distributor, however in my case I had one of the smaller camcap bolts snap from just a tad too much torque while putting the cams on the head so I left the one bolt out thinking it probably wouldn't affect the cams that much. I guess it wasn't with out some consequence though.

Take a torque wrench and check the smaller bolts near the dizzy, or take them out and re-torque them to the manual's torque specs using the recommended oil grade (I think 30wt) on the bolt threads. That might fix it.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Bad Distributor Oil Leak (DC_Legacy)

Thanks all. Well today I RTV'ed it up and waiting until tonight to check. To answer the above question NO I did not put RTV on the end cam cap by the dizzy. Didn't think I needed to but thats a good point, if this doesnt solve it I'll deffinatly pull that cap off and rtv it good.

Also I should note: I've tried three different dizzy's, 2 LS ones with the arm cut off and a GSR Dizzy.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoolind16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks all. Well today I RTV'ed it up and waiting until tonight to check. To answer the above question NO I did not put RTV on the end cam cap by the dizzy. Didn't think I needed to but thats a good point, if this doesnt solve it I'll deffinatly pull that cap off and rtv it good.

Also I should note: I've tried three different dizzy's, 2 LS ones with the arm cut off and a GSR Dizzy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the integra shop manual says that those two caps require RTV sealant, so hopefully that's your problem and everything will be cool now when you start it up
Old 08-21-2008, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Bad Distributor Oil Leak (Circusraven)

I have done all the suggestions listed here and still have the leak!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know it probably a costly maybe, but try replacing the dizzy.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Bad Distributor Oil Leak (DC_Legacy)

Tryed replacing dizzy, I used three cases. Anyhow I found the problem! So if anyone else is having this issue try this. It was the vtec rocker shaft freeze plug/seal. I got one from a buddy today after realizing mine was fubar'ed. Hope this helps someone!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoolind16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> It was the vtec rocker shaft freeze plug/seal. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean the cam plug on the EX cam next to the VTEC solenoid? If so then yeah thats a typical problem area. Glad you find the problem!