Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

B18 OverheatinG!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18 OverheatinG!?!

OMG people i love my CRX to death but i think shes gonna be the death of me, As most of u know its been a long reconstructive road for the last couple of months and now im at my wits end.

Last week I changed my timing belt water pump and tensioners on teh B18a in my rex and She has been running better than she ever has before, no problems. AT ALL!

Well that was like 10 days ago, since then i drove the 90 miles home and back and fourth to work for a week. .... well here we go....

Fri im about 3/4 of the way back to my home town, and the tempature guage was right in that sweet spot just below the half way marker. well about 3/4ths of the way down i noticed that my temp had gotten just a hair above half and was holding steady, So i kept my eye on it, then it started to fluxuate a little going from about half way to almost 3/4 of the way to hot but not consistantly it varied abit on my rpms, Ok then i say it make a slight higher jump twards the red and i pulled over on the highway, got out and took a look but my radiator was cold? what the?
there was a small bit of steam coing from the thermostat, the hose clam wasnt slid to a full gripped location so i moved it, let the car cool for few and got back on the road, she then help temp for a while but after about another 20 min. i saw her temp start to climb. I made it to a truck weigh in and let her cool for an hour when of course my cell phone died as well,
so once she was cold enough i got back on the road and into the small town outside of my destination.

Ok now shes parked for the night i got my phone charged and called for a ride, My initial thoughts were the thermostate was out or stuck closed, so sat I got the thermostate and dropped her in and drove her to my friends garage 10 min drive, just as i got to my friends guarage she over heated again, got out and did a more intense inspection

The radiator top felt hot this time and the hose connecting the radiator to the top of the engine was hot but the bottom of the radiator and the hose between it and the thermostate was ICE COLD. So now im thinking maybe my radiator has a partial clog and its not letting the fluid flow to teh engine when i changed teh thermostate there wasnt as much antifreeze in the connecting hose as there should be,

New Radiator was cheap and an easy install so i did that, problem is that want the problem either, Same time span same over heating problem.

top hose to radiator HOt bottom hose to thermostat COLD

With the hoses to the radiator off i help up the bottom hose and filled it with water and place the open end of the other hose into a bucket. Started teh car and lett her run for just a sec to see if there was flow from one end to the bucket.....

NOT AT ALL.

So here i am got a ride back to work left my car 90 miles away back home.

Could the water pump that i just replaced last week already be out?

Another guy made a hint twards my head being warped and causing blockage?

the car still starts and runns fine accelerates smoothe but will over heat in about 10 min.

I NEED HELP! at my wits end with all of this It maybe time for me to cut my losses but i hate to i love that car with a passion buti can go on like this .

Sorry for the long explanation but rather have too much info than not enough. Please help guys!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try thermostat and check to see if the rad fan kicks on.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:27 PM
Trial User

Default Re: B18 OverheatinG!?!

i am having the same issue on my 88 crx si with my b18 i was thinking my harness was messed up
changed all my hoses changed my thermostat changed the coolant sensor... everything is basically brand new... water pump timing belt as well... im gonna replace the water pump n see if that fixes my problem.. let me know if you have any luck.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:44 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: B18 OverheatinG!?!

Dead tread Jan 31 07 was the last post. 94