Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Automatic Transmission Slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission Slipping?

Here's my problem...

When car is cold, shifting from 3-4 results in rpm's shooting 500-1000rpm's higher before shifting into 4th gear. I noticed that shifting from 1-2, 2-3 results in a quick, jumpy shift. Not smooth at all. However, the non-smooth shifting usually goes away when the car is warm. (This would lead me to believe the fluid is low.... it's not)

If I am driving at highway speed (car is warm), and I press the gas peddle to WOT (if I were to pass someone), it seems as though the tranny can't find the gear. The rpm's rise a little before finally coming down and going into 3rd or 2nd gear.

Now, also while driving at highway speed, and I move the shifter back into 3rd (instead of putting gas peddle to WOT), sometimes the rpm's will spike shifting back into 3rd/2nd from 4th. And, when I put the shifter back to 4th, the rpm's will spike again before changing back. However, when using the shifter, this don't always happen. Sometimes it will. Sometimes it won't. There's no pattern to it.

Driving around city I noticed that sometimes there will be a slight pause before the tranny reacts to what my foot is doing to the gas peddle. At slow, city driving speeds from stop light to stop light, the tranny seems to change erraticly from 1-2 sometimes.

I've checked the fluid, and it's good. Not burnt either. I just checked the tps and it checked out okay - .5V at idle and 4.5V at WOT. I was hoping that this would be my trouble, but it's not.

What else could it be besides the tranny itself? Could a solenoid be giving me trouble? How do I test the solenoid on the tranny? Are there any other sensors besides the tps that could cause this? I'm the second owner of the 1998 Integra LS. A middle-aged female had owned it before me. Car is in mint condition which leads me to believe she didn't abuse it. Car has 60,000 miles on it. I live in Canada, but the car came from Florida.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, a few weeks ago my CEL came on. I tested it myself with a paper clip and counting the number of times that the light flashed. I came to the conslusion that it was code 7 (tps). But, I had it check with a scanner to make sure and it came up with 2 automatic transmission codes instead. Now, code 70 is an automatic transmission code. I may have read the code wrong when I did it myself. The tps code could actually have been an automatic transmission code. Now, the place that I brought it to decided to clear the code to see if it came back. It hasn't since. And, they didn't write down the code. It actually said something like 'dealer controlled device' and they couldn't tell what code it was. Probably had to bring it to the dealer instead.

So, my CEL is on again now, but I think that's because of me checking the tps tonight. I'm gonna have it checked again tomorrow. A buddy of mine owns a garage. I'm also gonna have the tranny flushed, and have the filters checked as well. I guess there could be a clog somewhere.

Thanks, Brian

Sorry for the long post....
Old 03-16-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Automatic Transmission Slipping? (98Teggy)

well, just so you know, i have a few of these similar problems. i also have an automatic and i have some of the same "jerkiness" sometimes when shifting gears when my car is cold. i think that it is just natural of our cars, and i have been told this by a couple of people. just my two cents. hope this helped
Old 03-16-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Automatic Transmission Slipping? (mrwink)

Yeah, I don't really mind a little 'jerkiness' in shifting when the car is cold. But, there's definately a problem when the rpm's jump up 500-1000 rpm's between gear changes.... that's not supposed to happen.... I'm hoping that it's the solenoid on the tranny that controls gear changes..... cross my fingers...
Old 03-16-2004, 03:20 PM
New User

i sometimes feel a hard shift when i first drive, probably cause its not warmed up. 96 auto, its getting old...
Old 03-17-2004, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a 1995 auto tranny. 149k miles on it ... ive been flooring it all the time for the past 40k. So i guess i started to speed its death ... tranny now slips from 3-4 sometimes when its cold ... reving a little higher than normal before it shifts. I got fresh fluid and I ran some SeaFoam Trans Tune through it .... you might want to try that ... its $5 a can .... drive it for a couple days .. then change the tranny fluid ..

Old 03-17-2004, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Automatic Transmission Slipping? (zilverz)

Did that Seafoam Trans Tune work at all..... or does your tranny still give you trouble? I'm hoping I don't have to do a rebuild...... wonder how much that'll cost... a rebuild that is....
Old 03-17-2004, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 94 auto...it does the same thing...

there was a post on TI.net about this...and apparently it was pretty normal for the older autos

our cars just werent meant to be autos...thats all []
Old 03-17-2004, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (bub838)

it is just neglect from previous owner
or you.
how often do you change you tranny fluid?
if you are driving HWY miles on your car it should be
every 25-30k
if you are driving city miles well its like
every 15-20k
not only that downshifting on auto totally destroys
the converter and not to mention the clutch pack.
and for the price to change a couple of solenoids you are
better off buying a used tranny..
Old 03-17-2004, 05:22 AM

Default Re: (mr.beeks)

well, I just bought the car a few weeks ago. The previous owner was a middle-aged woman. The car barely had a mark on it, so I'm assuming she didn't neglect the car. I'm going to flush the tranny and change the fluid today. I didn't really notice this problem when I got the car. I'm not saying that it just happened since I got it, I just didn't notice it. I don't shift the car very much using the shifter. Only when I'm driving on the highway, I find that the car needs to go back a gear when going up a steep hill (so, I haul it back in 3rd using the shifter instead of putting the peddle to the floor). Is there an easy way to test these solenoids? How do you know which one needs to be replaced? Or, if it even needs to be replaced?

Brian
Old 03-17-2004, 05:28 AM

Default Re: (98Teggy)

One thing I should say though....

Is that the tranny is not really 'slipping'. That's the word I used to describe it, but the longer I think about it, it's not the right word. This is because when the rpm's spike during gear change, the tranny is still pulling strong and hard. The tranny is not actually slipping. Hard to describe in words, but as I can tell, some of you have this problem and know what I'm talking about...

Brian
Old 03-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98Teggy)

yes... it is a delayed shift ... not shifting when it is suppose to

runing the seafoam though .. seems to smooth out my shifting a little ... but did not resolve the occasional delayed shift... it wont fix physical damage /:
Old 03-17-2004, 08:51 AM

Default Re: (zilverz)

I am about to put this Performance auto tranny fluid in my car. I'll let you guys know how that works out. Suppose to eliminate a lot of the slipping etc. but the pause before down shifting is normal for automatic cars. however if your TPS is off by a little then it might cause it to take longer before it down shifts. Im just happy i am finally driving my auto again =p with vtec... LS/V =o

oh yah about the 500-1000 rpm going into the next gear. that sounds like to me that it is slipping.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Re: (LODOSS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LODOSS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am about to put this Performance auto tranny fluid in my car. I'll let you guys know how that works out. Suppose to eliminate a lot of the slipping etc. but the pause before down shifting is normal for automatic cars. however if your TPS is off by a little then it might cause it to take longer before it down shifts. Im just happy i am finally driving my auto again =p with vtec... LS/V =o

oh yah about the 500-1000 rpm going into the next gear. that sounds like to me that it is slipping. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Instead of using some performance ATF, use Honda ATF and add some Lubeguard additive.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (timmy8151)

i kno what ur talkin about. usually happens to me when im slowin down to make a small turn, from 3-2 the rpms spike pretty bad. but the same thing with my car, a middle aged woman(makes sense that its an automatic, lol) owned it and has all of the recipts from the "check-ups" and thers no way her foot was lead. and mine shifts pretty ruff. hard goin 1-2, smooth 2-3, rough 3-4. i want this fixed. maybe a tranny swap will fix it all, hmm.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here's an idea, integra auto tranny's just werent made with the same quality as manuals..and time just shows sooner?
Old 03-19-2004, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats true. what about an auto to manual swap? my car is a daily driver, i dont really plan on doinanything for it except gettin some blades or mesh wheels for it. and i hate drivin automatics. im not makin fun of aynone else that drives one, so dont get all pissed about it. just havin a teg and the fact that its an auto sucks.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

believe me i know how an auto is.

and auto -&gt; manual swap in an integra is definatly possible...as i had once wanted to do.

but i realized for the money id rather just sell my car and by a manual.

if i sold my car, saved a lil cash i could prolly get a 94 gsr with high miles...
Old 03-21-2004, 10:51 AM

time for another auto to 5speed swap
Old 03-21-2004, 10:54 AM

First off. Our trannys shifting hard is normal when they are cold. You need to wait until the temp. guage is at it's normal temp. before you drive if you want to avoid the hard shifts. Second, manually shifting into 3rd on the highway is most likely why you are throwing a code. Doing this "confuses" the transmission since the shifting is computer controlled. Reset your ECU and leave the car in D4. If another code it thrown you have a tranny problem. Our autos weren't made with performance in mind, our gatio ratio makes this painfully obvious. I try to avoid WOT unless I'm doing it from a stop. Our trannies really don't like a sudden WOT going 40+mph. Also keep in mind that the fluid takes a second to move before she shifts causeing spikes in the rpms.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic Transmission Slipping? (SilTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Second, manually shifting into 3rd on the highway is most likely why you are throwing a code. Doing this "confuses" the transmission since the shifting is computer controlled. Reset your ECU and leave the car in D4. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is absolutely not true.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic Transmission Slipping? (SilTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Second, manually shifting into 3rd on the highway is most likely why you are throwing a code. Doing this "confuses" the transmission since the shifting is computer controlled. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if that were true..wouldnt people who shift there autos manually around town throw a code too?

im also curious as to which cel in particular is "auto trans is confused."
Old 03-21-2004, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Automatic Transmission Slipping? (bub838)

Haha, that is one of the funniest things I have read.

Try changing the fluid with Honda ATF.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Automatic Transmission Slipping? (B2FiNiTY)

this is the same problem i had.... so i took the car to a local shop and they checked it out for me... nothing i sight... the autos shift jerky no matter what but manually shifting isnt good for it at all... put the bitch in d-4 and drive slow until you get the money to do the swap... im still piecing my auto to manual swap togther as we speak... there are many confused people on this board and a few that have actually done it i have a write up somewhere on exactly what you will need but im not sure where it is... if i find it i will post it in here... the reason i bought auto is because it was local and the car was damn near brand new... i will also have 100% pure satisfaction when its all said and done knowing that i built my car completely and i will also get to see the improvement on 1/4 times after the tranny swap alone... btw i ran a 17.3 yo!!!
Old 03-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic Transmission Slipping? (stockLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but manually shifting isnt good for it at all...</TD></TR></TABLE>

More bad information

Manually shifting then flooring it does nothing Physically different to the tranny than just flooring it and letting the ECU shift for you .

Flooring the gas pedal produces the culprit of heat that advances the death of auto transmissions.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Automatic Transmission Slipping? (stockLS)

Make sure your checking the atf the right way. I know it sounds stupid, but all manufactures have their own way of checking the atf.

In the integra, the car must be OFF and the gear selecter in PARK. This is occording to the owners manual. Also, the specified temp for checking the atf fluid is about 180F.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Slipping?