Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Auto Trans Faults

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Trans Faults

Hello everyone.

I'm in the market for a commuter car. At this point in my financial life, that's all it will be is a commuter car. I don't have any hopes of making it "fast" or loud, just looking for a ride that reliable (Honda) and looks halfway decent.

This past summer I spent working for Honda Engineering at their HQ in Ohio, and after working for them and witnessing the processes etc. I decided that a used Honda is the way to go.

I'm trying to keep my budget low ($5k) so that's why the integras have interested me. They look MUCH better then the comparable year civic, and they still have the reliability (Obviously, they're made on the same assembly line lol)

Anyways, as it will be my commuter I'm leaning heavily towards an automatic. Knowing that an auto trans is something of a wear item, I've been trying to uncover their common failure points. From what I've read there doesn't seem to be any major flaw in their design so to speak.

As I go look at these integras, besides harsh or slipping shifts, should I have any fear of buying one with 150k on it?

I should note that I've also looked into preludes, as those cars seem to be a forgot model for one reason or another and seem to offer a good value.

I'm in the Seattle area (Tacoma) and the prices seem to be roughly $3k-$4k this one here being the "nicest condition one I've seen" 2000 Acura integra brand new motor rebuild A/C sunroof new tires more!
Old 09-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Auto Trans Faults

a TSX!! a higher mile 04 would be in your range and is a huge jump from the civic/integra of the 90's. Or a 06civic dx they are getting VERY CHEAP now a days i'd avoid an auto integra/90's civic they are beyond sluggish, i'm not saying a tsx is "fast" but it's enjoyable even on todays standards.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply.

I'll start to keep an eye out for a high mile TSX. The other Acura model I looked at was the RSX. Those seem to be the closest to my price range. There's even a RSX Type-S for sale about 150mi away from me for 5k. I wish it was an auto, but that would be a waste of a type S haha.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 92 Integra with 151000 on it and the tranny vibreates in second in low rpm other then that the cars great
Old 09-10-2015, 12:13 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

No doubt a tsx for commuter, if its a commuter to a job that you're going to be dirty than the 06 civic will get you going, good mpg and a little oomph with the 1.8L.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Young 23 year old voting for type s lol.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The TSX and RSX seem to both be at the tip top of my budget. After looking over the TSX, that's the car I would really like, but will be the biggest stretch to find one in that 5K price range.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Or just get the newest for your money lame auto civic. Not fast, fun or good looking but there abundant and reliable.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll keep an eye out for all of them. Thanks for the ideas everyone.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This ones been advertised locally for a little while now. It fits what I'm looking for pretty well. In addition it has a new motor, although I'm less worried about Honda motors then any other mechanical piece on that car.

I looked at TSX's in all surrounding states, and their just a little out of my price range, the RSX's sometimes fall in my price range but not very often and that makes me nervous about the ones that are (See link about with the type-s for 4999)

I know this is a relatively old car by now, but it looks to be largely unmolested and has four doors which is a minor + for me.

2000 Acura integra clean title motor rebuild A/C tons new
Old 09-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clean or not 4k for an auto 4dr in silver is delusional, i'm not putting you down for picking it but I see you live in WA?. surly there's plenty of non rusted cars to choose from the 04 mazda 3 is something to consider they're solid and cheap.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well good thing you saw this because I had no idea this was a poor deal! Looks like I'll be holding out until he lowers the price. At 3k I think it'd be a good deal. I'd never considered mazdas, besides the old rotarys, which I don't have much interest in.

Mazda 6's seem to be going pretty cheap. Now I gotta figure out why haha.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

If you decide to go take a look, check for rust, ask to take pictures just in case there are things you want us to look at. Ask if the owner has receipts for what was used to rebuild the motor, you want to know what parts the shopped used. Also ask if him details on the rebuild, did the owner specified any instructions on how to rebuild the block, specific parts, blue printing, etc..etc..

To me its obvious that the motor wasn't rebuilt, it was replaced. The reason why i state this is because its a 10yr old car, so why would someone dumb so much money into rebuild a stock block when you can just purchase one with low mileage and drop it in? STOCK FORM. If he was doing some performance work than yes, dump money into rebuilding the block with better parts, ensuring the cylinders are honed and the surface of the block is straight and true.

If you find any issues we can probably point it out to you and you'll have some negotiating grounds, there's no way he can still stay firm after your findings.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
If you decide to go take a look, check for rust, ask to take pictures just in case there are things you want us to look at. Ask if the owner has receipts for what was used to rebuild the motor, you want to know what parts the shopped used. Also ask if him details on the rebuild, did the owner specified any instructions on how to rebuild the block, specific parts, blue printing, etc..etc..

Bro.... don't you know everyone rebuilds their engine and when they sell it, it only has 4k on it. Minty fresh... exactly a cheap ls engine from an importer is in the $800 range and drops right in. And they conveniently don't have the invoice from what ever shop did it or it was a "cash deal", but seemingly have oil change receipts etc.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I decided to skip that one.

I'd feel better buying an integral with 150k on the original motor, then trusting that someone had it rebuilt, I think you guys made an excellent point on that front.

I'll keep this thread updated when I do find one worth going and seeing.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hows it going?
Any more thoughts or progress on this at all?
Cheers!

-Shiny