Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners

Old 11-02-2002, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners

Hey there,

Anyone on this board running a vortech supercharger on their integra? I am highly considering getting this kit as my big "power mod". I'm interested in the numbers you're putting down as well as the times you're running, plus any issues regarding daily use.

I searched this board and while it seems everyone has an opinion regarding the vortech supercharger, I have yet to hear feedback from someone who actually has the vortech supercharger on their car.

Oh, and I am well aware honda-tuning ran a 14.9 w/their vortech gsr, and I am also aware 99% of the people on this board are anti-vortech, but I am considering getting it for a number of reasons. If there are excessive flames I'll type out my reasons but I just want a general discussion on integra owners' experiences w/vortech. A friendly discussion of course

Thanks...

Shingo

ps. If this seems like a redudant post feel free to lizzzok it up....
Old 11-02-2002, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners (Shingoblade-GSR)

I had a Jackson...Got rid of it1 I am thinking of doing Vortech also! There must be someone out there with it!
Old 11-02-2002, 01:32 PM

isn't that the supercharger in the realtime's NSX???
Old 11-02-2002, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners (Dr. RAB01GSR)

I have a Jackson. See sig for setup. I have run a 12.8 before.
gmoore
Old 11-03-2002, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

booooooooooooooooo vortech. Jackson
Old 11-03-2002, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners (Jackson4Door)

booooooooooooooooo vortech. Jackson
I second that
I've ridden in an LS w/ a JRSC at 10psi via crv crank pulley...and it ripped ***

[Modified by B18Flip, 7:01 PM 11/3/2002]
Old 11-03-2002, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners (B18Flip)

yea man, i'm running jackson and AM REAL happy w it...it ran great at road course and is waiting to hit hte quarter mile (when i have time). don't get me wrong a guy on club Si ran a 12.85 on his vortech, but he boosted 13 psi...made 330whp...so 12.8 is impressive but not THAT imrpessive u would expect more from such power.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners (LOwrestling2001)

The thing that's bad about vortech's on small, high-winding motors like hondas is they only make their rated boost at redline. On a 5500 RPM motor like a 5.0 in a mustang this isn't very bad, but on a 9000 RPM motor it takes even longer to get into boost.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners (boosted92)

see the sig
Old 11-03-2002, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners (B18Cwon)

doh! I am getting owned big tyme all across the net with this post. Still haven't met any vortech owners...

Thanks for the replies guys...

Shingo
Old 11-04-2002, 07:41 AM
King of the One Liners

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** it.....do it right, tune the car, boost the hell out of it and shut everyone up.....
Old 11-04-2002, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

O.K. now that everyone has stated what they wanted to say lets get some reasons to why we say what we say.

First off let me explain the fundamentals of a supercharger. A supercharger is made of a a moving part which assists the the engine breathe. This moving part is connected to the belt which is driven of the engine. So if the engine is under full throttle it is building boost some what linear to the revs of the engine.

The roots supercharger is used as a positive displacement. It spins slower than any other blower but it pumps a lot more air per revs. The design was made to help help assist engines gain torque everywhere in the power band. This increase in torque will give you power in the entire powerband as well. Since it spins slower the lubricant is self contained and the unit is sealed and the lubricant isn't required for replacement.

The centrifugal supercharger is used like a turbo except its is driven of the belt rather than exhaust. The belt that drives from the engine sends the force to the inside the unit. Within the unit the gears increase the speed of the compresser wheel. The reason why its a centrifugal is because the wheel will initially pump air in form the inducer(inner side) and when it reaches the target RPM will pump on the exducer(outer side). So the flow from this supercharger isn't linear like a roots blower. This design was made to help propell muscle cars make more power at high revs since they can't breath very well. ( They use an extremely high tech Single Under Head Cam Design dated back to the 1720's)

The advantage of running the roots is that is can build boost right form idle. It will give you of the line better start. The advantage of the cantrifugal is that it will give you very high top end. Both of the two units behave totally different. The disadvantage with the JRSC is that it doesn't have a intercooler. People are using a water/alcohol injection to get the same results.

The Vortech unit since it spins at high RPM (like a turbo) needs an oil supply line and drain line.

The driver's seat the JRSC will feel a lot faster since it has low end torque. The Vortech has its torque at high RPM which makes its power at top end seem insane. The Votech actually starts to come alive at about 5000 RPM Which is just about when you hit Vtec. So it feels like a cam that breaks the laws of physics. The exhaust note resembles a Sportbike. Everyday driving with the vortech will make you shift down all the time, whereas the JRSC will make you give it just a little amount of gas. You won't even need to see over 6000 RPM unless you are at the track. The Vortech will seem like it takes longer to get where a JRSC is already there.

The JRSC will get you better gas milage when you are just piddling around. The Vortech will not help you at all here.

The one disadvantage with the Vortech is that the unit mounts to the tranny. So you might as well buy that ACT extreme clutch w/ SS disc and aluminum flywheel and Quaife differential before you install this unit. Your factory clutch WILL NOT hold at all. Or else you will be seing your self remove it all again.

For street use a JRSC is very practical. Its even more practical than the stock with basic upgrades. The turbo comes some where in between but it opens up a whole bunch more problems. The Votech gives you most top end than any of them. Although, you can size a turbo to give you the most top end.

The JRSC will run out of huff at about 350 HP but the Vortech V5 will make upto 580 HP!! But you can't make this on your engine unless you have the $$$$ to make it happen.

Joe
Old 11-04-2002, 11:09 AM
New User

Default Re: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners (carchitect)

good explanation carchitect
Old 11-04-2002, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners (Dirty GS-R)

you will never get 500 hp out of the vortec without custom belts and pullies that are cogged. for the landspeed record thay had to use wider cogged belts because the standard belt slipped and so did an upgreaded one. and you will make too much boost at low rpm if you use larger crank pully or smaller blower pulley. if you use the smaller one you will surely have belt slippage.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners (vtecmissle)

Still no vortech owners? I've posted this everywhere and I've been getting the same response. Turbo/JRSC/all-motor, anything but vortech. Hrmm..

Shingo
Old 11-06-2002, 03:50 PM
New User

Still no vortech owners?
there probably are but they're just too afraid to admit to it
Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners

I own a vortech on my 99 Civic Si
Old 02-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW, never thought I would see a 8 year old thread! You really dug this one up from the grave
Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well... Not many ppl talk about The Vortech Superchargers...
Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where can u get custom belts nd pullies that are cogged???