Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

97 integra timing belt belt problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 integra timing belt belt problem

ok well it started like this took my 97 integra ls auto for a timing belt and water pump change, i pick my car the next day and when i get home i notice a lot of oil leaking from the bottom near the timing belt cover also car feals sluggish. i call mechanic and he says just give it time to adjust and it was probly oil that leaked out during replacement heating up after drying and dripping down. so next day i go to start up car and it will try to start but wont as if battery is dead so i let it sit try again and it turns on as if battery nneded to be charged, then if not all was bad the mechanic calls me and tells me o by the way your gonna need a new crank shaft soon becouse some of the crank gears teeth are boken at this point i am beside myself i go in for a simple timing belt and water pump change and now have a car i cant even drive any ones help or sujestions on what this all could be and what i need to get done since this scammer mechanic dosent seem to want to do anything would be appriciated
Old 11-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 97 integra timing belt belt problem

Originally Posted by bobbafettflr352
ok well it started like this took my 97 integra ls auto for a timing belt and water pump change, i pick my car the next day and when i get home i notice a lot of oil leaking from the bottom near the timing belt cover also car feals sluggish. i call mechanic and he says just give it time to adjust and it was probly oil that leaked out during replacement heating up after drying and dripping down. so next day i go to start up car and it will try to start but wont as if battery is dead so i let it sit try again and it turns on as if battery nneded to be charged, then if not all was bad the mechanic calls me and tells me o by the way your gonna need a new crank shaft soon becouse some of the crank gears teeth are boken at this point i am beside myself i go in for a simple timing belt and water pump change and now have a car i cant even drive any ones help or sujestions on what this all could be and what i need to get done since this scammer mechanic dosent seem to want to do anything would be appriciated
Why would a broken timing gear cause the need to replace the crankshaft? Did he give you a written invoice of the work to be performed, and did you sign it? This guy is either a complete moron or a shady a$$ mechanic. Threaten him that he better replace the broken timing gear, since it wasn't broken when you brought it in, and to fix the oil leak and make sure timing is set properly or you will call the better BAR, Bureau of Automotive Repair on his a$$.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:13 AM
They let me pick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by all-mtr-teg
Why would a broken timing gear cause the need to replace the crankshaft? Did he give you a written invoice of the work to be performed, and did you sign it? This guy is either a complete moron or a shady a$$ mechanic. Threaten him that he better replace the broken timing gear, since it wasn't broken when you brought it in, and to fix the oil leak and make sure timing is set properly or you will call the better BAR, Bureau of Automotive Repair on his a$$.
This.
And oil should not be leaking or even spilled on anything after a timing belt change or any maintenance for that matter. Oil means shoddy work.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrdeadman
This.
And oil should not be leaking or even spilled on anything after a timing belt change or any maintenance for that matter. Oil means shoddy work.
My guess is, the timing gear was removed to replace the oil pump crankshaft seal. In the process, the gear was damaged, and the seal was installed incorrectly, or torn, or damaged the oil pump's seal surface when prying out the oil seal.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 AM

well he wouldent give me a seperate invoice becouse it was all done at the body shop that doubles as a repair shop were i took car to be painted the paint job came out like crap also but thats another story so everything is on the same invioce and it isent detailed he tried to show some pictures of the crank gear and pully he took with his camera phone but it was such a dark pic i couldent tell what he was showing me i feel like i got so screwed by this whole situation when i was talking to guy and i could tell hewas giving me the run around my temper was just rising and had to walk away or it would have been all bad, but any way do you think that the timing is off aswell being that it is very slugish and what do you make of the car not starting like the battery cant get charged
Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 AM

i also just found out that the mechanic just got put in jail for driving on a suspended liscense can this situation get anyworse, lol
Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well he wouldent give me a seperate invoice becouse it was all done at the body shop that doubles as a repair shop were i took car to be painted the paint job came out like crap also but thats another story so everything is on the same invioce and it isent detailed he tried to show some pictures of the crank gear and pully he took with his camera phone but it was such a dark pic i couldent tell what he was showing me i feel like i got so screwed by this whole situation when i was talking to guy and i could tell hewas giving me the run around my temper was just rising and had to walk away or it would have been all bad, but any way do you think that the timing is off aswell being that it is very slugish and what do you make of the car not starting like the battery cant get charged
I see batteries drained all the time when coming out of body shops. They leave doors open to do work, which leaves the dome light on and will kill the battery.
If this BODY shop employee isn't a certified Mechanic, or if the shop isn't licensed to be doing repairs other than body repairs, then you might be able to take legal action.
I'm telling you, threatening to call the BAR usually solves most problems real quick.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 AM

that makes sense becouse he said he also needed to replace the seal when he was quoting what work he would do
Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that makes sense becouse he said he also needed to replace the seal when he was quoting what work he would do
Yes, replacing the oil pump/crankshaft seal should be done, just like how you should replace a rear main seal when doing a clutch job.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:30 AM

i think thats my next step and also threaten to go to small claims court i just have to take it in stride becouse every time i talk to thies clowns they start they give me the run around and i really dont like that as im sure no one does
Old 11-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think thats my next step and also threaten to go to small claims court i just have to take it in stride becouse every time i talk to thies clowns they start they give me the run around and i really dont like that as im sure no one does
The longer you wait, the worse it is for you. They can say, "why did you wait XXX days, you damaged it yourself"
Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 AM

so does anyone think the timing is also off by a few teeth and thats why i dont have any low end power
Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 AM

well ive been trying to get them to fix this for like a week now and all i get is the run around
Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 AM

i looked the website for BAR and its only in california i live in florida
Old 11-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so does anyone think the timing is also off by a few teeth and thats why i dont have any low end power
when my ls was a tooth off it had a lot of hesitation. especially when in gear. i would slam on the gas and it would lag like no other. once i adjusted the timing belt problem was fixed. and also the idle was kind of erratic once the engine warmed up
Old 11-11-2009, 10:50 AM

yeah thats how mine feels, i also went to mechanic friend of mine and he thinks that the other mechanic is trying to get more money from me for the crank shaft becouse he said you shouldent have to change the whole crank shaft becouse of the gears being damaged which is what the mechanis who did the original work says i have to do is it possible to just change the gears out and the crank pulley
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That mechanic is trying to steal money from you. Drag his shady @$$ through the coals and find another mechanic to complete the job.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM

i already have a certified mechanic fixing evrything up on friday he comes highly recommended from several performance shops in the area i spoke with him and he seams very honest i just hope not to much damage has been by this clown, i think im gonna take him and the painter who is the owner of the shop to small claims and report them and do everything in power to get back what ill have to pay to fix the damage and i have found out through a mutual friend i am not the only one
Old 11-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey i'm a honda technician and I know for a fact that this guy screw up the front main seal (crank seal). He probably used a flat head screwdriver to pry out the old seal n damage the crankshaft. he put scratches on the crank n when slide the new seal it cut the lip of the seal n would not seal that is why its leaking oil n when he said it hasnt seal it because he's buying time cuz when the engine is cool it does not drip as much, i guarranty thats wat he did. teeth missing on the crankshaft well there is no teeth on the crankshaft but there's a gear wheel with teeth which is wat the crank sensor detects n yea im sure ur timing is off by a tooth. sorry to hear bout this hope things get resolve.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:42 PM

well update had a mechanic who came highly recommended and he fixed everything rite up he put a new crank timing gear with the sensor thing becouse a tooth was broken, he also while he was down thier put a new crank pulley all new seals fixed the timing and if you can believe this but it is true as i was thier with him tightend down the water pump as they had left it loose and even was missing one screw, car drives so damn good now all parts were oem crank gear with sensor and crank pulley were pulled from a 97 integra that my boy tim pulled them from in a junk yard and all seals strate from honda it is running like a champ now and has much better pick up and no rough idle
Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your timing had to be off. Even one tooth is something you can notice. Nice guy to screw up the reluctor ring on the timing gear on the crank. God I would be pissed if that was me. Times like this make me thankful I can do all my own work.

I'm happy someone could fix it right for you. It's people like that guy that restore your faith in good workmanship. As a fellow mechanic it's brutal to hear stories like this.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:32 AM

yeah i wish i could do more myself but im not to engine savy and am scared im gonna make it worse but what u say is true one bad apple spoils the bunch