Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

96 GSR suspension suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 GSR suspension suggestions?

Hey guys I am doing a small project with a car I just picked up, its a 1996 GSR. I want to completely redo the suspension, and I need some help with which route to go. I am looking for a nice setup for daily, sprinted driving, and maybe a trip to the track or an autocross event here and there. I like the idea of full bodied coilovers with adjustable dampers but they are pricey and for my situation I really dont need the adjustment feature. So here were some things I was considering:

Skunk2 Pro S
Tokico HP Blue shocks with decent coilover (skunk2, GC, etc.)
Skunk2 Sport shocks with coilover (skunk2, GC, etc.)

I would like to spend roughly $400-$600. I have heard good things about the Tokico blues so that is my favorite option right now. What do you guys think? Any suggestions for coilovers to go along with the shocks, or setups you might recommend? Thanks
Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 GSR suspension suggestions?

i would recommend the tokico illumina's with either GC or Skunk2 coils. If you do decide to autox then you can adjust the dampening on them. i have that setup with the skunk2's and they are very firm.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I am going to go to that level, what about the KYB AGX's?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Illumina/GC combination is not bad at all. My EM1 has GCs on stock shocks up front and Blues out back. It's ghetto. But it's my DD and I got the whole set up for a net spending of like $100-200.

It rides awesome. It's firm, but not shaky or bouncy. It honestly rides pretty close to stock without the jigglyness that stock offers. It's nice and planted. I let my friend AutoX it and I've tracked it once. It handles pretty damn good.

You just can't lower the hell out of it. I have it lowered about 1.75-2'' or so. If you're going to slam it...forget that option all together and just save up for a full body coilover.

I have a 22mm ITR bar on the back with the stock bar up front. I think that helps with the body roll firmness and turn in sharpness. I also inflate my tires to around 40psi all around (up from the 35F/33R spec). Again...for sharpness. It also helps with tire cooling on the track. I run around 0 toe front and back. My camber angles are something like -2F and -2.5R. I have no camber kits. Tires wear nice and even because the toe is straight.

My friend has SKUNK2 PRO C's on his 00 EX. They ride SOOO good. It's his DD that he tracks and AutoXes. They control the body fairly well and they've held up great. They still ride silky. He got them for right around $1k after taxes (we get hooked up). I've seen them on ebay for like $1100 shipped before.

So saving up a few more hundred may be a good option.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This car is going to be a daily driver, so I would hate to spend a lot on nice coilovers/shocks and not use them to their full ability. But I still want a decent setup, with aftermarket shocks that can handle a good drop. I was also looking at the Progress Auto coilovers. They are similar to the Pro S's, you cant adjust them, but they are under $600 which is perfect for me.

After some thought I dont think im going to get adjustable shocks like the KYB AGX's, KONI's, or Illumina's. They are just too pricey for a DD, and its not like I need the adjustable shock for that.

So its between the Skunk2 Pro S and Progress Auto Series II coilovers. Both are similar price. Anyone have these setups?