Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

96-97 spec JDM B18c (R) into 2001 GSR

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96-97 spec JDM B18c (R) into 2001 GSR

I am in the middle of putting a JDM b18c (96-97 Type-R) engine into my 2001 GSR.

Things are going ok, i had a little trouble seperating the lower control arm from the ball joint, but after finding the GREAT video of how to do it with a 1/2" drive ratchet, it came off in no time.

The swap is going slow, but i have limited tools/time/space to do it in, so im not complaining.

At this point i have the new motor bolted in the car, but nothing connected. The only problem iv come accross so far is that the Type R header/downpipe is WAY bigger than my GSRs exhaust.

Is there any way i can get this to work short of welding? right now on the GSR i have the stock cat, with a comptech catback exhaust. I would really like to use the new R's header and downpipe, but ill put the GSR one on for now, until i can work out a solution.

im going to keep an eye out for an OEM Type-R exhaust.

Also, just for future reference. i had done some searchign here before the swap and it seemed the common consensus was that the Type-R exhaust would bolt right up to my current setup. I believe that information is false. just a heads up to anyone in the future who is attempting this.

im obviously retarded, and forgot to swap the engine harness before i bolted the motor in, so everything on the JDM harness was backwards. i was able to swap it while in the car though, only took about a half hour.

i have 1 or 2 connectors that dont have anywhere to plug into. is this an issue with the USDM vs. JDM? Both are on the passengers side of the motor. if someone could please provide some assistence in this area i would really appreciate it.

The upper radiator hose is too short and doesnt reach the head. should i buy a type R radiator hose?

There is a single vacume nipple on top of the throttle body on the Type R intake manifold. im not sure what vacum line to connect to it.

there is also a single vacum nipple on the drivers side of the intake manifold (towards the back). i also dont know which line to connect here.

I havnt tried yet, but iv read that the GSR throttle cable is too long. do i have to buy the TypeR throttle cable? or can i buy an LS cable, i think i read they both would work?

please help! thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96-97 spec JDM B18c (R) into 2001 GSR (lostshootingstar)

Im pretty sure a 98+ Type R Header will fit, but the older ones dont match up. I could be wrong though. Also last time i heard putting an older engine in the car is illegal (atleast i think in pa it is). O well have fun with it sorry if none of this concerns you
Old 08-31-2006, 02:20 AM

wat type of ECU are you running? cuz i had similiar swapped....

oh used type R throttle cable...only 30 buck on ebay...save you the headache..
Old 08-31-2006, 05:54 AM

Default Re: 96-97 spec JDM B18c (Rahxephon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rahxephon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
oh used type R throttle cable...only 30 buck on ebay...save you the headache..</TD></TR></TABLE>

or you can use the ls bracket and cable which is the same dimensions...
Old 08-31-2006, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lostshootingstar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i have 1 or 2 connectors that dont have anywhere to plug into. is this an issue with the USDM vs. JDM? Both are on the passengers side of the motor. if someone could please provide some assistence in this area i would really appreciate it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

One of them is probably VTEC pressure switch (I assume these are connectors on your USDM harness with nowhere to go). JDM motors did not have them on the engine as USDM motors do. It was built into the ECU, which means you will have to either run a JDM ECU, or swap the VTEC solenoid to a USDM unit.

This was the case on my friend's '99 JDM B18C-r, not sure if 96-97's would be the same, but I bet it is.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the replys guys. after going back and looking at the harness iv decided that one of the USDM plugs that doesnt have a place is in fact the VTEC pressure switch. and the other is for the IABs, which are not on the Type R intake manifold.

I am running the JDM Type-R ECU, using the obd2b -&gt; obd2a conversion harness.

and i am aware it is illegal to put an older motor in your car, but iv never seen any inspection guy check for things like that..there is just no way to tell. if anything my original motor (114k miles) looks waaaay older than the Type R motor.

One more question i have is this. Can I adapt the USDM oil pressure switch to work on the JDM motor? the only reason i ask, is so that i can use the USDM ECU when inspection time rolls around. but this isnt for a year and a half, so i should be ok for a while.

thanks again
Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lostshootingstar)

the usdm oil pressure switch will fit onto the ITR block

the gsr and ITR bare blocks are identical so all the parts from them are swapable from one to another
Old 08-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, new question.

on my GSR, there is a plug right near the lower timing cover, under the alternator. it is a 2 prong, grey plug. i cant seem to find this on my JDM b18c.

Also, I thought i had the harness all set, but i guess i was mistaken. hopefully someone can help me here.

here is a picture of one of the mystery plugs on the GSR harness. (Circled in green). just to help show where this is in relation to the engine, the plug with the red box is the distributer plug. and the blue blox is obviously the throttle body.

What is this plug for? I think its for the idle valve since its the same plug, and thats the only thing unplugged right now, but it doesnt fit anywhere near the idle valve which is located on the back of the inatake manifold. i think ill have to just lengthen the wires.

and where do i connect that ground wire? is that the one that goes on the coolant neck?

Here is the vacuum nipple on the throttle body im not positive about. the hose in my hand connects to the black canister attached to the firewall. is this what plugs into the nipple on the throttle body?

and last question..is the TPS plug the blue one? and the map sensor plug the gray one? the reason i ask is that they both plug into each other.

thanks!

Modified by lostshootingstar at 8:07 PM 8/31/2006

Modified by lostshootingstar at 8:08 PM 8/31/2006

Modified by lostshootingstar at 8:12 PM 8/31/2006

Modified by lostshootingstar at 8:31 PM 8/31/2006
Old 09-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lostshootingstar)

bump for more help..
Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96-97 spec JDM B18c (Rahxephon)

step up your game this is a one day swap. the sensor on the crank is for obd2 cars, if you are using an obd2 ecu just swap your old oil pump over. i recommend having the motor tuned on a p28 tho.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rahxephon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wat type of ECU are you running? cuz i had similiar swapped....

oh used type R throttle cable...only 30 buck on ebay...save you the headache..</TD></TR></TABLE>
new you mean?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96-97 spec JDM B18c (KraZEtEggIE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KraZEtEggIE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">step up your game this is a one day swap. the sensor on the crank is for obd2 cars, if you are using an obd2 ecu just swap your old oil pump over. i recommend having the motor tuned on a p28 tho.

new you mean? </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is my first swap ever, and iv only had 2-3 hours at a time to work on it during the week.

i got the motor to turn over and fire up today, but it ran like **** for 4-5 seconds and died. i didnt try to start it again. Im borrowing my friends OBDII scanner to check codes and stuff.

I am using the Type R ecu. i have the obd2b -&gt; obd2a conversion harness
Old 09-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96-97 spec JDM B18c (lostshootingstar)

make sure all of your sensors are plugged in, and in the right places. then look at the more obvious before playing with an obd2 scanner. try to center your distributor as much as possible, jump your timing advance, then set your base timing.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96-97 spec JDM B18c (KraZEtEggIE)

THe swap is pretty much complete. as expected there are a few issues.

1. Super high idle (but very smooth). i would say 1700
2. overheating slightly. i havnt bled the coolant yet, so im hoping that will help.

I have three check engine codes (with the JDM ECU).

1. TPS. im not sure how to diagnose this. Even when i completely remove the plug from the TPS sensor, nothing at all changes. could the sensor it self be bad?

2. Oxygen sensor. The O2 sensor is plugged in, im really stumped about this one. it worked fine before the swap

3. IAC. this is the most interesting problem, and im sure is the most related to the high idle. When i have what i *think* is the IAC plug on in the sensor the idle is high like mentioned above. when i unplug the IAC sensor all together, the idle goes down to what seems normal, but mabye a bit low.

There are 2 other plugs that reach to the IAC sensor, and fit in. when i plug either of these in, nothing happens differnt than if there was nothing plugged into it. im really stumped on what to do here.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: also, i have an OBDII scanner. when i plug it in with the JDM ECU installed, the scanner reads "car not responding". do these things not work with JDM ECUs?
Old 09-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After replacing the TPS sensor, the car idles PERFECTLY.

however, now the car bogs out really bad at like 1.5k and im not sure why. Im trying to get my hands on a timing light, but its easier said than done

i also realized that i was NOT pulling a code 1, it was a code 10 (IAT). so i have to figure out whats wrong there.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:37 PM

bump somebody help this guy get his swap done
Old 09-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should have 2 o2 sensors.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Swap is complete. all the problems i was having were very minor.

I wasnt actually pulling an o2 sensor code, it was a code 10, not 1. so i switched out my IAT sensor.

anyway, the car runs great. i have 500 miles to break in both my new clutch and my all around new brakes, so it will be a little bit until i can really get on it.

The only problem im having engine wise, is that my cooling fans wont kick on. My temp guage works fine, but no fans. which sensor controls the fans, the one on the t-stat housing, or the one on the head? and could that be the problem?

some other minor issues i am having are:

1. spedo doesnt work. the VSS is plugged in, but the spedo doesnt move. im going to try and swap the VSS off my GSR tranny and see if that works.

2. my rear brakes smell HORRIBLE. While my car was down i had replaced all 4 rotors and pads. i had to replace the front 2 calipers because they became frozen after sitting for 2 months. I was able to "spin" the rear caliper pistons in without any trouble, so i didnt replace those. So im not sure if my rear caliper(s) are locked, or if the smell is normal. some people have told me brakes smell bad when you first replace them, especially if they have a lot of finger prints/grease on them. how can i check for a frozen caliper before i go buy new ones?

thanks everyone for the help!