Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

94 LS randomly hesitate to start twice

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 LS randomly hesitate to start twice

I love the car, but now it's starting to give me problem of reliability issue and that's when I am going to debate if I should keep the car or not. I have this for 10+ year now since I bought it, one owner before me. Never and accident. Stock everything except CAI and exhaust.

Last month on a warm day the car drove fine to a 30 mile destination. Stop for about 30-45 min and went back to the car to drive back home. The car turned over starts fine but almost stalled. I put my foot on the gas to rev it up (to 2k) to keep he car running. After 5 sec or so I let go of the pedal, the car idle fine.

I did find that odd, but just thinking it might be an incident. Car ran fine for the next few weeks.

Few days ago warmed out the car and drove it to a place that's 5 min from home. When to bought something for 5 min, came out and the car had the exact same issue. But this time putting my foot on the gas stalled it. Attempt multiple time to restart the car pumping on the gas and it wouldn't go.

I let the car sit for 1 hour to let it cool. Tried to start it again and still won't work. Finally call tow and they came 1 hour after. The tow guy started it with a few more pump on the gas. Ran fine until I pull out to the 2nd light and it start to have a rough idle, very close to stalling with few occasion. But finally got the car home.

The next day I did not do anything to the car. Warm the car and ran for a few blocks, put it back in the driveway and let it sit for about 2 min. Restart the car and everything ran fine. I even rev it up to 5k driving and nothing seems to be wrong.

SO.... the big question is what was the problem?

1. Clog fuel filter/injector
2. Coil going bad
3. O2 sensor going
4. Fuel pump going
5. Distributor going
6. Fuel Regulator going
Old 10-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 LS randomly hesitate to start twice

you could do a simple tune up of Plugs, Wires, dizzy cap and rotor, fuel filter, air filter and see how that helps.

as for plugs and Wires, get NGK
Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does wires go bad? I had NGK wires running in the car currently.

Would I suffer another non-start episode? I am afraid to drive the car now.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

plugs and wires are actually suppose to be changed every year. Wire can deff go bad, and if they have even the tiniest pin hole, can cause a car to run like *^@#$
Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh wow, I had the wires in there close to 10 years....
Old 10-22-2013, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha they can last a long time, but yes, replace them with NGK ones.

I would almost bet just changing them will help you out alot
Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would look at the common problems with older Honda/Acura, fuel and spark.

The PGM-FI Main Relay is a common problem with out cars, also heat related.

A PGM-FI Main Relay problem is easy to diagnose in most cases, when engine fails to start turn ign. switch on to the run position, [not all the way to start] look and listen to what should happen..

The cluster will light up including the CEL.
At the same time you should hear two(2) clicks from the PGM-FI Main Relay, [may sound like one click a they are very close together].
At the same time you should hear the fuel pump priming, [running for a few sec.].
After no more then a few sec. there will be a 3rd lick from the PGM-FI Main Relay, the fuel pump will stop priming and the CEL will go out and engine will start.

If the above is not happening the problem is the PGM-FI Main Relay, it is repairable in most cases, [search main relay repair].

If the above is not the problem it my still be a fuel problem, the fuel pump itself, a fuel pressure test should be done to see what the fuel pressure I when engine fails to start,
[for under $50 you can install a fuel pressure gauge permanently at the fuel filter].

If fuel is not the problem the spark is the next thing to check, you need an HEI spark tester to properly test for spark, [$10- $15 at most auto parts stores] both the coil and ICM are prone to intermittent heat failure, [work when cold but fail once warmed up]. 94
Old 10-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
I would look at the common problems with older Honda/Acura, fuel and spark.

The PGM-FI Main Relay is a common problem with out cars, also heat related.

A PGM-FI Main Relay problem is easy to diagnose in most cases, when engine fails to start turn ign. switch on to the run position, [not all the way to start] look and listen to what should happen..

The cluster will light up including the CEL.
At the same time you should hear two(2) clicks from the PGM-FI Main Relay, [may sound like one click a they are very close together].
At the same time you should hear the fuel pump priming, [running for a few sec.].
After no more then a few sec. there will be a 3rd lick from the PGM-FI Main Relay, the fuel pump will stop priming and the CEL will go out and engine will start.

If the above is not happening the problem is the PGM-FI Main Relay, it is repairable in most cases, [search main relay repair].

If the above is not the problem it my still be a fuel problem, the fuel pump itself, a fuel pressure test should be done to see what the fuel pressure I when engine fails to start,
[for under $50 you can install a fuel pressure gauge permanently at the fuel filter].

If fuel is not the problem the spark is the next thing to check, you need an HEI spark tester to properly test for spark, [$10- $15 at most auto parts stores] both the coil and ICM are prone to intermittent heat failure, [work when cold but fail once warmed up]. 94
Found some more info today. Drove the car to my sister's place which is about 4 miles away. Died once on the way back at an intersection. Put it back into the driveway and pull all the plugs right then.

I found the driver side cylinder is filled with oil along with the plug. All the other 3 are fine.

So now the question, head gasket? Valve gasket?

Will changing it solve the problem or I might still have to look into distributor?

PS - I had changed the main relay 2 years ago from a acura dealer. Found out the hard way, car was acting more odd than this time, at time it won't rev past 3k.

I had recorded the sound of the car running (at muffler) after ideling at driveway... can't post it though.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:35 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Do you mean the spark plug tube was filled with oil covering the spark plug?

If so, then yes it could be the problem, it would short out that spark plug lead and the coil, you would be running on three cylinders with weak spark.

You will need a VC gasket set with spark plug tube O rings/seals. 94
Old 10-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That particular valve cover area was leaking for quite sometime now. It wasn't this bad when I discovered it a long while back, just some oil in the plug area. Now it's covered with oil on the spark plug and oil within the cylinder when I shine a flash light inside. Others were dry.

Will that short out the coil too?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the oil IN the cylinder could be from the tube, once you pull the plug out it drains down onto the piston.

you maybe be able to get away with removing the VC seal, cleaning it, and re-installing with some silicone.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone.

I ordered some silicone sealant and a set of gasket. I will change them this weekend when it comes. I hope that's the only problem.

I still think there might be other factor involve this causing the car won't start.... but will see.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:25 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Do not use ordinary silicone on gaskets or O rings, if you need anything get some Honda Bond.

You do not realy need anything for the spark plug tube O rings, and very little anyplace, just make sure surfaces are very clean, [remove all/any old gasketthat is left] also DO NOT over-tighten any VC bolts/nuts, spec is 86in-lbs. 94
Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Do not use ordinary silicone on gaskets or O rings, if you need anything get some Honda Bond.

You do not realy need anything for the spark plug tube O rings, and very little anyplace, just make sure surfaces are very clean, [remove all/any old gasketthat is left] also DO NOT over-tighten any VC bolts/nuts, spec is 86in-lbs. 94
Question on why none of the instructions show none of them put silicone to seal with the gaskets? The instruction I saw was to only place them right above the cam spot (round part) of the valve cover on both sides. Why?

Where do I get honda bond besides from dealers? I don't have once close to my place.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Why, because it is not needed.

It does not have to be Honda Bond, just go to your local auto parts store andd ask what they have that is the same as Honda Bond, there are more then a few products out there...
https://www.google.ca/search?q=gaske...w=1024&bih=565 94
Old 10-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it hurt to put a thin coat? My cousin that works on car a lot swears it dosen't hurt to put glup on it.

I already bought some high temp silicone gasket, so I am good. Honda bond is just another name I guess.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no, it doesn't hurt to use a thin layer. Honda doesn't say to use it, because it's not actually needed with new gaskets. only in spots like the cam caps. because of the sharp corner and because its a spot where 2 parts are bolted together.

I always use a thin layer just so I know it's sealed. Exp. since I re-use gaskets like VC ones over and over.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:34 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Ditto the above, a thin layer will not hurt, but again it is not needed, except where mentioned.

However, too much will be a problem, it can actually prevent proper sealing, besides making a mess.94

Last edited by fcm; 10-24-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fcm did u ever get my pm???
Old 10-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. Parts will arrive tomorrow and I will get to work.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:17 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by jdmjunkieXL
Fcm did u ever get my pm???
No, just checked and still no, try again. 94

Last edited by fcm; 10-24-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sent
Old 10-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So today I went to change the gaskets and new spark plugs. Warm the car seems fine, went to the gas station few blocks away to fill up the tank. Everything seems to be well.

Took the car a little further around then back home, car started to studder again. Put it back in the driveway and the car idle the same way with some puffing when hearing from the muffler side. Turn the car off and check the cylinder and plugs. All seems to be dry.

The car won't turn over again like before.

So what's my next step? Distributor and coil? Seems like whatever the part is warmed up it will act up.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Engine will not turn over, [starter motor not working]?

Or do you mean engine will turn, [starter motor working] but engine will not start? 94
Old 10-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine will crank but doesn't run. It makes popping sounds when I try to start it.

I use a spare spark plug and crank the engine while leaving that plug out and I could see sparks. But engine won't start.

Starter is working (turns), main relay was replaced 4 years ago.

Quick Reply: 94 LS randomly hesitate to start twice