Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Catalytic Converter-looking Test Pipe?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon2 Catalytic Converter-looking Test Pipe?

Hey guys,

So, it's getting to be that time where I need to replace my catalytic converter. But I want to get a test pipe instead. I need suggestions for any brands you guys know of that work well and look like a catalytic converter (so I can get away with it for inspection).

Requirements:

-2.5" pipe
-Bunion for oxygen sensor
-Look similar to a normal catalytic converter
Old 03-26-2015, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Catalytic Converter-looking Test Pipe?

just punch out an cheap magna-flow one get a stick and up down side to side, it's not going to do anything for you, you'd be better off getting rid of the power steering or ac....

It's a stupid ricer thing especially on a stock engine/sub 230whp. But if you want to my suggestion is the best, I was like that at 16 when I got my white integra didn't do anything infact it just made it sound like ****.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Does your emissions testing require plug in scanning? If so a test pipe will throw a code and fail automatically.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DC4_Dad
it's getting to be that time where I need to replace my catalytic converter.
How do you know? Is the MIL on with a P0420 code? Or are you just guessing that the cat might be bad with no outward evidence?
Old 03-26-2015, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Guys, I'm not in it for horsepower gains, first of all. It's for better fuel economy. And no, they don't require a plug in scanning. I know I need it because when I put on my cat-back exhaust, the thing looked plugged up. IT's the original catalytic converter from what I know of, and it's got 200k miles on it. I don't know why you guys are bashing on me for asking for suggestions.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

punch out your stock one then... a non clogged CAT will do no better then a test pipe. yah no "increased fuel millage" on a properly functioning one vs test pipe. I'm getting at you because it's as bad as those stupid N1 mufflers etc and the same logic is applied there, "less restriction from the stock muffler"= better mpg. Sound wise it just increases the "rasp" on an already notorious "bee like" engine a k will always sound better no matter what you do b-series have a shifty sound regardless.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either punch it out, cheapest method, or buy a test pipe and have the shell of the cat welded around it. Either way, your gas mileage will increase over the 200k oem piece.

If you want to please all the people on Honda-Tech, buy a $67.00 Catalytic Converter from Summit, and have a muffler shop weld it on. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cto-6906

Personally, I would punch it out, and I feel no need to explain myself. Those are a couple of options.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I stated before, I'm not going for any horsepower gains by getting rid of it, nor do I care for trying to "beef up" my exhaust tone. I would just punch out the old one, except for whoever did work on the car before I bought it, used some sort of gasket filler between the flanges instead of using an actual metal gasket. So, I want to just get rid of the thing all together. I don't think the Summit catalytic converter has a bunion for the oxygen sensor on it.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok then, get wild. Here's a how to. How to: Make your test pipe look like a CAT - evolutionm.net
Old 03-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's pretty awesome. I don't know how to weld though. I found a test pipe by Megan Racing that looks like a catalytic converter and has a bunion on it for the oxygen sensor. I'm gonna look into that more.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know I need it because when I put on my cat-back exhaust, the thing looked plugged up.
"Looked plugged up"? That's not much evidence, frankly. Plus, plugging normally occurs at the input end of the cat. When you installed your cat-back you would have been looking at the output end.

If it was truly plugged-up, I would be expecting the MIL to illuminate with some sort of code related to poor gas-flow.

Why don't you just take the car in as-is and see if it fails? If it fails, THEN break the bank and replace the cat. If it doesn't fail, then you haven't spent effort and money needlessly.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah, I had the header off when I replaced the clutch, and I couldn't see light through the screens inside of it. The Megan Racing test pipe is only $50, cheaper than a catalytic converter would cost.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the header off when I replaced the clutch, and I couldn't see light through the screens inside of it.
That doesn't necessarily mean it's plugged. The plugged cats I've seen had actual, thick, lumpy, cruddy buildup covering the inlet surface of the honeycomb.

If your MIL is not illuminated, and if the OBD-II P0420 monitor reports "ready", then your cat is just fine.