Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

91 da Auto trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 da Auto trans issue

okay, so my problem started with the speedo bouncing badly and making all kinds of noise. upon inspection i noticed what i think is the speed sensor (the peice that the speedo cable plugs into at the top of my trans) had sheared off the tab which bolted it onto the trans therefore it was all loosy goosy in there. As a quick fix i just pulled out the speedo cable and the noise stopped and my car drove fine minus not having a speedo and my s3 light flashing. A few weeks later my trans began to slip and it is still doing this. The weird part is that when i turn the car on, i can drive for about half a mile with the trans operating flawlessly and then it begins to slip until every gear feels like neutral and my car is dead in the water. if i turn the car off and let it sit for about 30 secs then i can start the process over again and go another half a mile. Also it appears as tho the trans fluid level is too high. possibly the torque converter? My car is a 91 gs btw if that matters. My car has been parked for a couple months as i just cant figure this problem out.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:37 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: 91 da Auto trans issue

Replace the broken part so speedo works properly.

The VSS on a G2 is in the cluster, [gauge assembly] the VSS "feeds" info to the ECU/ECM, ECU/ECM controls the Transmission Control Module, no speedo cable means no VSS signal to ECU/ECM.

I know very little about automatic transmissions, [always had manuals] but looking at the wiring diagram and the fact the problem seems to have happened after you disconnected the speedo, I would fix the speedo, [broken mount] if for no other reason then to eliminate it as the problem.

Pretty easy/cheap fix, [if it is the problem] compared to even just pulling tranny to inspect it or torque converter, at some point your going to want to fix it anyway. 94
Old 01-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, i will try and find a way to jimmy rig it for the time being. Do you have any idea what the proper name for that part would be so i could try and find a new one?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it sounds like the torque convertor is not supplying adequate pressure. especially since it is occurring when hot and the fluid has thinned. however, get your issue with the vss sorted out first. as stated, it is possible to be the culprit
you can also try pulling the transmission codes
when you checked the fluid level, was the engine running? or not? hot? or cold?

edit: after second thoughts, i'd assume the problem to be mechanical, or at least not related to the vss, since the problem does occur only after warm up and not immediately.

if you checked the fluid level hot and WITHOUT the vehicle running, as is specified, it's possible that the TC is leaking and allowing an excess fluid level to be shown on the dip stick. this would also cause inadequate pressure from the TC.
however, there could be an issue with the solenoids as well, but that wouldn't explain the excess fluid level. it would throw a code(s) though. so check the transmission codes first

but TBH, if the clutches are slipping, you've already lost clutch material and it may be too late to salvage that transmission even after you've found the cause.

try dumping the fluid. see how it looks/smells. if you see excessive shimmer, pretty much call er done

Last edited by el crapitan; 01-01-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I fixed the speed sensor and got my speedo working correctly again. The problem with the trans is still there. It's not flashing any lights on the dash. I chexked the fluid as specified and it appeared to be high. Do I need a new transmission? I may as well do a manual swap if i have to replace it
Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

auto-manual swap is what i recommend
Old 01-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm. could actually be a tcm issue, since you say it shifts flawlessly for a short period upon start up. which is sometimes an indication of a bad tcm. so if you shut the car off hot, turn it back on within a few minutes, drive it, it still shifts proper for a short period again?
and when you say slipping, you mean rpm increases while vehicle speed does not? like it's in neutral?
or do you mean it just doesn't up shift?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i printed up some testing procedures for the A and B solenoids, and diagnostic for the tcm. lemme know if you're interested in trying them out.
but will need to know if the transmission is actually slipping or if it's just not shifting
Old 01-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I posted this on g2ic and I believe you replied with the same thing lol. It shifts a little funny at first like it is tryin to hold into gear too long but then it slips like its on neutral in every gear expept park
Old 01-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shift control solenoid, converter, maybe burned out clutches at the gears (yes auto transes have clutches, it's just friction material at each gear), not enough pressure. Many things can cause slippage. Try doing a tranny flush and filling it again with the proper amount, then get back to us.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unfortunately, it sounds like it is mechanical.
dump the fluid. have a close look at it. if it's got excessive shimmer, the trannys probably toast. personally, i think the TC is leaking.
you can try refilling with honda atf or equivalent, but try adding a bottle of LUCAS trans-medic. i've tried it before on a baked tranny as a last ditch effort, and the thing shifted like butter after. worth a shot