Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

90 teg...starter wont click on

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 teg...starter wont click on

so i just bought a 4 door `90 integra gs 2 days ago..yesterday was going to leave work and went to turn on and nothing...starter wouldn't even click...i look under the hood and see that the bolt that holds the wire harness ground to the starter ground was missing....so i held the harness metal clip to the starter ground point and had a co-worker start the car...stopped at the gas station on the way home...and it started again doing the same thing.....

went to go to the store last night to get the bolt, and now it wont turn the starter over...i know the engine is fine, but why wont holding the ground on get my starter to click on?

i checked the starter fuse in the panel under the driver fuse panel...other than that, where should i be looking?

where is the main relay located on this car? is there a relay for the starter? could i have grounded out the starter driving home with the bad ground and need to replace it? any help appreciated?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:47 AM

Default Re: 90 teg...starter wont click on

check starter 1st by seeing if you can just manually turn it over w/o help of ignition key (just make sure ignition is on ON position though) by applying direct power from your battery (2 ways- auto shops sell 1 w/ a button or cheapie way- get some power wires w/ alligator clips).

Obviously if your starter doesn't do anything, then your starter's toast. If starter works, then make sure all wires leading to it are where they should be. Correct any wiring deficiences if found. Also, double check the underhood main fuses.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 AM

thanks..i just wired up the starter to a switch to test it...it does the same thing...one click and nothing...not tryin to turn over or anything...i ordered a new starter for it and i'm bout to go pick it up...so we'll see....man that rear starter bolt is a bitch to get to tho..any easy way? lol
Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by em1si
thanks..i just wired up the starter to a switch to test it...it does the same thing...one click and nothing...not tryin to turn over or anything...i ordered a new starter for it and i'm bout to go pick it up...so we'll see....man that rear starter bolt is a bitch to get to tho..any easy way? lol

Hate that bolt dude..I wish i could of changed my starter when my tranny was out..

But im having the same problem with my 92 integra right now..
car just clicks but the starter wont engage..sounds like the starter relay is out on mine but dont kno were it may be located.....good luck on the fix...did it work>? let me know..
thanks