Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

2001 LS (B18B1) STILL misfiring, please help.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 LS (B18B1) STILL misfiring, please help.

Things to note:
  • The car misfires on idle for a good 10 minutes or so, then slowly stops as my RPM's drop. (While misfiring, RPM's are jumping from 1,200-2,600 back and forth)
  • ALL FOUR cylinders are misfiring. CEL code 300 or something like that, "Cylinder 1 Misfire," "Cylinder 2 Misfire," "Cylinder 3 Misfire," "Cylinder 4 Misfire," "Multiple Random Cylinder Misfire."
  • My catalytic converter is f.cked up, could this have ANY effect on it?
  • Car misfires throughout ALL gears, at ALL RPM's, but it seems to be randomly. It will misfire so horribly that it throws my aftermarket radio out onto my passenger seat or floorboard. Misfiring occurs whether I'm going 10MPH or 100MPH (yes, tried both.) Though, it seems to only do it until I park the car, leave it off for a while and then turn it back on say... 10 minutes later. Then it won't misfire for 30 minutes or so, then it starts back up again.

Things I have tried:
  • Replacing all spark plugs with known good NGK's
  • Replacing the plug wires with known good wires.
  • Replacing the distributor cap with known good, performance cap.
  • Replacing the distributor rotor button with known good one, supplied with the performance cap.
  • Cleaning the injectors with injector fluid.

Things I have NOT tried:
  • Replacing the coil.
  • Replacing the coil wires.
  • Replacing the distributor itself. (Don't have the money.)
  • Checking the timing. (I'm an amateur, I have no idea how to do it.)
  • Anything else NOT listed above, I haven't tried because I don't know to try it.

I made this as organized as I could make it so, hopefully, I can finally get some help. I'd also not like to spend over $250, if possible. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 LS (B18B1) STILL misfiring, please help.

have u check your timing? cuz that also could be a timing issue
Old 01-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm an amateur, I have no idea how to do it.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh so then i guess u not going to have the right tool to check it cuz u need a timing gun or scan tool to check. cuz im thinking your timing is either too far advance or retard. if u get your code check again ask what your timing at... it should be from 16-18 at idle once the car warms up.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also u said that u replace your rotor inside the distributor. did it have a bolt that hold the rotor in place cuz that like to loosen up and fall. and that would cuz i a big mess causing misfires too. so make sure there a bolt holding the rotor in place and that the bold screw really tight
Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get someone that knows how to check timing to do it for you. Thats important.

Verify that all the plug wires are in the proper postion on the distributor. If they are not, problems will ensue.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Timing should be first on the list, once it is at correct timing, and it continues to misfire I would look into the primary O2 sensor and replace the CAT. Because the O2 sensor(s) and the cat is what controls your air fuel ratio, so if they are jacked up, then your fuel ratio will be out of wack...Causing REV fluctuation and misfires, as the ECU tries to fix the the fuel ratio with retarding or advancing the timing on it's own...If the ECU think that the Air fuel ratio is to out of wack it will put the car in limp mode to try and protect itself from further harm to the engine.
Please pull all the CEL codes and post them so that I or others can tell you what needs to be looked at...I wrote primary O2 sensor because it is the most common one to go out, however it can be the secondary O2 sensor...That's why we need CEL codes to be able to determain.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sixfourkiller
also u said that u replace your rotor inside the distributor. did it have a bolt that hold the rotor in place cuz that like to loosen up and fall. and that would cuz i a big mess causing misfires too. so make sure there a bolt holding the rotor in place and that the bold screw really tight
I made sure to tighten it last night, thank you for the timing information, I'll be sure to have that checked out.

Originally Posted by 1998GsRIntegra
Get someone that knows how to check timing to do it for you. Thats important.

Verify that all the plug wires are in the proper position on the distributor. If they are not, problems will ensue.
I'll definitely check the timing and I took all of the plug wires off and made sure they were in the proper position last night.

Originally Posted by jdm_bones
Timing should be first on the list, once it is at correct timing, and it continues to misfire I would look into the primary O2 sensor and replace the CAT. Because the O2 sensor(s) and the cat is what controls your air fuel ratio, so if they are jacked up, then your fuel ratio will be out of whack...Causing REV fluctuation and misfires, as the ECU tries to fix the the fuel ratio with retarding or advancing the timing on it's own...If the ECU think that the Air fuel ratio is to out of whack it will put the car in limp mode to try and protect itself from further harm to the engine.
Please pull all the CEL codes and post them so that I or others can tell you what needs to be looked at...I wrote primary O2 sensor because it is the most common one to go out, however it can be the secondary O2 sensor...That's why we need CEL codes to be able to determine.
Thanks for this information. I'm aware that at LEAST one of the codes is for my CAT and my CAT is known bad. So, I can get someone to pull the codes today and post them on here after school to let you guys know.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the codes today.
One was like 9PO240 (I know that's not it, I can't remember) and it meant my CAT was clogged up.
I also got all 300-304 codes which means cylinder misfire in every cylinder + "random multiple cylinder misfire"